Wiper Problem

Rob66

Apr 25, 2004
UK
Guys

I had to have a new windscreed fitted a couple of weeks ago due to a large stone chip :(

Anyway the screen was fitted by Autoglass and no problem apart from the left wiper hitting the upright when there was water on the screen. This was adjusted by Autoglass and all seemed ok. BUT now the left wiper leaves a large circular patch every so often when it sweeps the glass. The wiper itself is fine and it probably just needs adjusting, has anyone else come across this and knows what to do? Its a pain for me to get to Autoglass in the evening and the nearest SEAT garage is 30miles away.

thanks all.

Rob

Bainie

Oct 22, 2007
Aaaaargh , I am having a winscreen fitted this week by autoglass, am I going to have the same probs , my nearest seat dealer is 180 miles away, over water !!

OLDOILER

Jul 28, 2005
Wiltshire, UK
Guys

I had to have a new windscreed fitted a couple of weeks ago due to a large stone chip :(

Anyway the screen was fitted by Autoglass and no problem apart from the left wiper hitting the upright when there was water on the screen. This was adjusted by Autoglass and all seemed ok. BUT now the left wiper leaves a large circular patch every so often when it sweeps the glass. The wiper itself is fine and it probably just needs adjusting, has anyone else come across this and knows what to do? Its a pain for me to get to Autoglass in the evening and the nearest SEAT garage is 30miles away.

thanks all.

Rob

This is a extract from ELSWIN - Unable to paste pics but if you post me a PM I should be able to send a word doc.

Install:
Note The attachment nut for the wiper arms on the left hand side is tightened anti-clockwise.
The attachment nut for the wiper arms on the right hand side is tightened clockwise.
The nuts securing the wipers are tightened to the indicated torque once the park position of the wipers has been adjusted.
The removal and fitting process has been described for the left-hand wiper arm. The process is the same for both arms, except where indicated otherwise.

– Connect and disconnect ignition, then move the wiper lever to intermittent position within approx. 8 seconds, ensuring the brushes are in rest position.

– Insert the wiper arm in the motor shaft cone -A-, and turn the arm -arrow-until this meets-B-the drain moulding.

– Tighten the nut, holding the arm against the moulding -1-.
– If necessary, repeat these operations on passenger's side.
– Adjust park position of wipers

Note In right-hand drive vehicles, the wiper arms are symmetrically opposite.
It is advised that, when the windscreen wipers or any of their elements are being removed, the upper zero position is always reached without the wiper arm.
– Now adjust park position of wipers .

Driver's side:
The distance -A- between the wiper blade and the upper edge of the water box cover must be 36.5 mm
– If necessary, adjust the park position of the wiper by moving the wiper arm.
Wiper arms: removing → Chapter
– Tighten nuts to indicated torque → Chapter.

Front passenger side:
The distance -B- between the wiper blade and the upper edge of the water box cover must be 107 mm
– If necessary, adjust the park position of the wiper by moving the wiper arm.
Wiper arms: removing → Chapter
– Tighten nuts to indicated torque .

Rob66

Apr 25, 2004
UK
Oldoiler

Thanks very much mate. I'll print this off as i am going to Autoglass tonight to get it looked at.

AR-CoolC

Thanks for the PM

Bainie

Will let you know how i get on tonight.

Cheers guys

Rob

Rob66

Apr 25, 2004
UK
So I went to see Autoglass last night. New shape Leon's are obviously a rare beast as it was quite clear that they were unsure what was causing the problem or how to get the wipers off, the fact that they parked vertically was new as well :)

Although the wipers are perfect they wont replace the glass 'Safevue' until i have fitted and tested a new wiper blade on the passenger side (they wil though refund me if it doesnt solve the problem.

So i better get on the phone and order a wiper which i'm sure i dont need :(

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members