Wipers stay in service position

eddy68

Hi there, I hope somebody can help me - I'm new to the forum but have been trying to resolve a problem with my Altea and need to pick your brains!

We recently took our car into the garage to replace the passenger front coil spring and while doing so, they damaged the wiper linkage(?) and had to replace a bracket (I think - I'm a girl so what do I know!). Anyway, since then the wipers work ok when turned on but revert to the service position when turned off rather than returning to the A pillars.

I have tried nudging the wiper as suggested in another thread but it didn't work and now I'm thinking of trying the other suggestion of disconnecting the battery.

I've done a bit more reading and I think I need to disconnect the battery for 30 mins and then reconnect but I just want to check something before I do this ...

Will I only have to re-enter my radio code or will anything else be messed up? Only, I saw some other entries that mentioned having to open and close windows, switch on electrics etc so that the computer re-learns everything. I am very confused and quite worried so if anybody has disconnected their battery, can you tell me what happened?

Thanks very much.

Black Phantom

Hi eddy68!
I strongly urge you to take it back to the garage.If the wipers were ok before they fitted the new coil spring you really want to take it back and ask them to fix it.
You might do even more damage by trying to do it yourself and then you would'nt have as much of a good case......take it back!

cheers

eddy68

Believe me, I would! Only, this is one in a long line of mistakes they have made - one even resulted in the boot having to being resprayed! It seems that when I take it in for one thing, another goes wrong so although I'm entitled to them putting it right, I can't bring myself to do it, hence my looking elsewhere ...

chrisash32

Altea Driver
Oct 17, 2007
just out of interest...
after you have turned the engine off... use the stalk to put the wipers in the service position manually... do they return to the normal place?

chrisash32

Altea Driver
Oct 17, 2007
Yes, that's right, they do. Do you know why?

Toxic, correct me if I am wrong but could the wipers have been set the wrong war round?
Ie, so idle is down and service position is up?

That's what my thinking was anyway...

Toxic, correct me if I am wrong but could the wipers have been set the wrong war round?
Ie, so idle is down and service position is up?

That's what my thinking was anyway...

Yeah I cannot though see that working since the wipers would the move downwards first of all.

I was curious as to what happens when eddy68 puts the wipers into service mode manually myself.

Eddy68 have you done this yet?

failing this I'd get the Dealer to sort it out asap.

eddy68

Yes, we put it into service mode as per the manual and nothing seemed to happen, then we drove off and they went back into the A pillars so we thought it was fixed. But the problem happens whenever we use the wipers. I suppose it's the Seat Dealers then ...

joergie

Eddy68, I was wondering if you were able to fix that problem because I'm having the exact same problem. The wipers stay in service mode and don't get back to the normal position.

eddy68

Hi there, no I'm afraid I couldn't fix this issue myself so had to take it in to a Seat garage to reset them. It cost £80 :( Best of luck.

joergie

Thanks! And do you know if it had something to do with the software or is it a mechanical problem? My garage has already looked but they didn't find anything :( It's really annoying.

pdh 14a

Mr Fussy
Jan 21, 2008
Swansea
:( every time i read a fault on here,it happens to mine :cry:

My passenger wiper is returning fully to the a pillar after every stroke,instead of staying out the cm that they should in use! :(

eddy68

Hi Joergie,

I think that it was a software issue and they needed to re-set it but it was a while ago. We don't have the car anymore so I don't have the garage paperwork to check. Sorry I can't me more help and best of luck!

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.