Wipers with a mind of their own?

philhoward

Aug 17, 2015
Is it just me that finds the operation of the wipers "odd"? I don't have Auto wipers (I find them more of a hindrance than a help, so didn't spec them), but irrespective of the position of the stalk when I turn the car off, they are always off when I restart the car.

Leave the wipers on intermittent or slow, and when coming back to the car, they don't come back on until I select another position on the stalk. Annoying when they were on when I parked up, go to put them back on (up one position) and they start at high speed! Strangely the rear wiper will do its auto-wipe when I go into reverse if the stalk isn't in the Off position, even if the fronts aren't working...

This is the first car (VAG or otherwise) I've had with this behaviour - do all Leons do this, or is there something funny going on with mine?

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
You will thank them for that feature next time you start up the car with a frozen windscreen.

It is designed to stop damage to the motor or blades when the wipers are stuck solid.

philhoward

Aug 17, 2015
I can see the reason for it - which is for exactly that reason (and also the annoying dry wipe you get if you left your wipers on last time and it's since dried up).

It's the first car I've noticed it on though - and it taking some getting used to!

chrisRibiza

Sep 27, 2007
My auto wipers don't start wiping in the rain until I go over about 10mph, could that be the same with yours?

philhoward

Aug 17, 2015
Sadly not the case (although if on low speed, they do become intermittent at standstill).

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.