Wipers

Jacey Boy

Mar 10, 2004
Bournemouth, Dorset
Has anyone had a problem with wipers on their altea?, I have noticed that out drivers side one doesnt fold away neat and tidy as the passenger side does, the local stealer says its supposed to be like it, so I checked all of there 10 odd altea's and they all fold away properly unlike mine:confused:

Apr 13, 2007
If yours is correct and the drivers wiper is meant to poke out then they might like to know all the cars on their forecourt are faulty. ;)

What did the stealer say when you pointed this out to them? Maybe they'll claim you got the Wonky Wiper option for free when you picked up the car.

processpaul

Nov 24, 2006
Brighton
One of mine was catching on the N/S pillar, dealer sorted it out. Wish i new how they adjusted them though.....wheres Klawit when you need him?

Back to the dealer i guess...or find another one!!

KLAWIT....you able to add to this?????

klawit

ALTEA 1.4 TSI 4YOU (my2015)
Oct 13, 2005
Germany, Cologne-Area
One of mine was catching on the N/S pillar, dealer sorted it out. Wish i new how they adjusted them though.....wheres Klawit when you need him?

Back to the dealer i guess...or find another one!!

KLAWIT....you able to add to this?????
Hey ... at least will try to do so ...

The problem has bee discussed at our board as well .... and finally, there was a detailed instruction posted by a SEAT mechanic:

First of all:
you better not try to do it on your own, as there can be easily done damage to the wiper rods, as they are mounted pretty tight and there are opposite threads to both wiper arms :
in Germany (LHD) the left wiperarm has a counter-clockwise turning thread, while the right arm has a clockwise turning thread.
Don't know, if this is equal to your setup ...

Nevertheless ... here's the steps to follow:
kosl @ seatforum.de said:
- Wischer in Servicestellung bringen,
- Motorhaube auf und Muttern an den Wischerarmen lösen,
- Motorhaube zu und Wischerarme vorsichtig nach oben abziehen,
- Wischerarme ein bis zwei Zähne nach oben versetzen,
- Wischerarme wieder fest aufstecken,
- Motorhaube auf und Muttern festziehen,
- Motorhaube zu und ausprobieren...
- get the wipers in service position (ign off, then activate wiper)
- open hood and loosen nuts from the wiper arms
- close hood and carefully remove wiper arms by tearing 'em upwards
- readjust wiper arms by shifting them on the rod for 1-2 notches
- firmly attach wiper arms
- open hood and tighten nuts on the wiper arms
- close hood ... and try out.

As always: this is without any guarantee from my side and if you decide on trying it out, it's at your own risk ...

greets ... Klaus

Jacey Boy

Mar 10, 2004
Bournemouth, Dorset
This is exactly what I was going to do today, I will take the wiper off the motor and move it a few notches up, until I get it right, im sure thats what it is, just that it hasnt been fitted in the correct place in the 1st place.

If I ruine it its back to the dealer for them to sort under warranty:whistle:

Tell

Staff member
Dear I'm going to have problems finding all of these useful threads in ten years time when I still got mine :)...

The only time mine mine stuck out and this one is a known problem is when snow wedges in it in a heavy snow storm or you are too lazy to remove it via other means when starting up except by the wiper [learnt my lesson on that one]. When the snow melts it bounces back although that one is a worrying one as to whether it is designed to be pushed out or whether it's straining it. What you have to do when clearing the car down is run your finger into the groove to remove the snow else they remain wedged out once you start the wipers.

I think you can rest assured that the blades in the UK aren't adapted for RHD since that is the issue of the mark on the passenger side for us, that the final wipe is done with the left blade, hence you get the mark on the right where the water is spun off but is in the drivers view [RHD]. This conversation came up before that nobody switches the way the blades work although not everybody got the fact that we suffer from this in the UK and Eire.

oliverpe

I think you can rest assured that the blades in the UK aren't adapted for RHD since that is the issue of the mark on the passenger side for us, that the final wipe is done with the left blade, hence you get the mark on the right where the water is spun off but is in the drivers view [RHD]. This conversation came up before that nobody switches the way the blades work although not everybody got the fact that we suffer from this in the UK and Eire.

Is it possible to swap the way the wipers work? I noticed the above fact when test driving an Altea XL. I have order an XL and expect to collect within the next two weeks, and was wondering if I can request the wipers to be switched for RH wiper to do the final sweep, as it was very annoying that the LH wiper leaves the drivers view impaired.

Jacey Boy

Mar 10, 2004
Bournemouth, Dorset
Well it took me approx 10 mins to sort mine out, was a quick case of adjusting the arm to the correct postition, so tell me why couldnt the idiot stealer technicians do it??, instead of fobbing me off telling me they were supposed to be like it[:@]

N2KHL

Jan 21, 2011
Leicester
Did any one come up with a solution to switching the final wipe position so that we in the uk can see better when it rains?

Wimbledonian

Aug 31, 2010
milling around
I should imagine that RHD-ing the wipers would require a completely new re-engineered set of cams and linkages. Remember, the LH side wiper travels faster but dwells longer than the RHS.