Wireless Android Auto adaptor (for Leon's with full link)

mjj4

Sep 30, 2019
I've ordered one. ;)
Nice! Mine has still been flawless since purchase. For me it's been the best bang for buck modification to the car.

Hi mate have done all that, still no workie.
Well I suppose you get what you pay for!
Have you contacted the seller on AliExpress? They are usually pretty good support/replacement/refund wise!

Bluepower

May 1, 2016
I had ordered this one(the small rectangle direct-USB dongle) but received the other version(hexagon with USB lead) which worked straight out of the box(after I updated the Android Auto app on my phone). In the end, I actually prefer the hexagon version I received as I can tape it to the inside of the USB tray, just need to get myself a 180 degree USB adapter so it will be nearly invisible

Reactions: mjj4

Bluepower

May 1, 2016
I had ordered this one(the small rectangle direct-USB dongle) but received the other version(hexagon with USB lead) which worked straight out of the box(after I updated the Android Auto app on my phone). In the end, I actually prefer the hexagon version I received as I can tape it to the inside of the USB tray, just need to get myself a 180 degree USB adapter so it will be nearly invisible
I've tested a 180 degree USB adapter: wasn't wide enough to clear the bend... So ordered 2x 90 degree USB adapters only to find out I had ordered the left turned 90 degrees adapters, so they turned the wrong way around.. So 3rd attempt was to order 2x right turned 90degree USB adapters, these fit and make the connection far less visible and prone to knack the usb plug or cable. Now I can mount the actual dongle to the top of the cradle so it isn't visible and the tray itself is almost completely useable as storage for my sunglasses, parking card and other stuff.
I will snag some pictures later on and put them here for reference (including the link to the adapters I ordered)

Reactions: mjj4 and Walone

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
The instructions page
Have you done step 1 and 2 first?

Plug the dongle into a stable USB supply (says not to use car/android port port)
On your android phone - switch on WIFI and connect phones WIFI to Autobox.... password 88888888
Now you open browser in your phone - and type 192.168.2.1
Choose switch P2P
Go back to phone settings and WIFI direct - and connect to Autobox.... hot spot
Go back to web page 192.168.2.1 and choose "Querying for new update"

Just received mine - went through the above steps, and all worked.

Reactions: mjj4

mjj4

Sep 30, 2019
Have you done step 1 and 2 first?

Plug the dongle into a stable USB supply (says not to use car/android port port)
On your android phone - switch on WIFI and connect phones WIFI to Autobox.... password 88888888
Now you open browser in your phone - and type 192.168.2.1
Choose switch P2P
Go back to phone settings and WIFI direct - and connect to Autobox.... hot spot
Go back to web page 192.168.2.1 and choose "Querying for new update"

Just received mine - went through the above steps, and all worked.
Thanks for the update, and glad it works for you! I'm intrigued about the latest update and feel like I may have to update my already perfectly working unit, just to make sure I can :D

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
Thanks for the update, and glad it works for you! I'm intrigued about the latest update and feel like I may have to update my already perfectly working unit, just to make sure I can :D
It didn't actually offer me an update (my unit must be obviously up to date) - I was just confirming the process - and that the process worked accessing it via web browser.

There was a factory reset option I noticed, which might help the chap who can't get it to work?

johnnygal

Sep 15, 2023
I just got mine today also, updated as per instructions (to version 108 I seem to recall). Once I connected it to the car, paired and started a Google maps route, it lost connection to the car. It reconnected straight away and was ok for 5 minutes on the route, all I had time to test. BBC sounds and podcast player worked ok too.

Will give it a longer test tomorrow.

MATT RILEY

Oil burner
May 9, 2004
Carried out the update and still won't connect to the car, phone screen goes a brown colour with lines and vibrates for a second and then the car screen says usb not supported?
Heap of sh#t

GOAS

Sep 4, 2018
I too bought one of these and got a duff one.
I followed @SuperV8 's excellent instructions (clearer than the Chinglish ones included), ran the update - and it consistently drops connection.

My phone connects to it, and it tries to start Android Auto (says "Reading USB1" - or 2 if I use that). It then goes back to the connection screen. I cannot get it to do anything past that.

Anyone else had and fixed this issue? I think I'll contact the seller as it cost me nearly £27

Dec 29, 2023
I bought one too and mine is also duff. It didn't work out of the box and after a factory reset and update, it still does the same as above, I get a 'failed to connect' message and it goes straight back to the connection screen.

I'll be returning it (if possible) and sticking with a cable.

GOAS

Sep 4, 2018
Mine is eligible for return and full refund. It's going back on Monday

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
I too bought one of these and got a duff one.
I followed @SuperV8 's excellent instructions (clearer than the Chinglish ones included), ran the update - and it consistently drops connection.

My phone connects to it, and it tries to start Android Auto (says "Reading USB1" - or 2 if I use that). It then goes back to the connection screen. I cannot get it to do anything past that.

Anyone else had and fixed this issue? I think I'll contact the seller as it cost me nearly £27
What's your phone? Recent Android?

I don't think wireless android auto works with older android phones.
This dongle works great (In our Vitara - I don't have AA in my Leon!) with my Samsung S20FE - but find it more 'flaky' with the misses Samsung S9 - which is on an older Android.

GOAS

Sep 4, 2018
What's your phone? Recent Android?

I don't think wireless android auto works with older android phones.
This dongle works great (In our Vitara - I don't have AA in my Leon!) with my Samsung S20FE - but find it more 'flaky' with the misses Samsung S9 - which is on an older Android.
S23 Ultra, so pretty new. I've got a new Clio with built-in wireless AA and the phone is fine with that.
Said dongle is being picked up today by postie for a return. Time to look for something else, or a shorter data cable.

My phone is such a beast it *just* fits in the phone holder but doesn't with a cable plugged in.

I do wonder if there's a dodgy batch given others' experiences on here. Shame.

Open to suggestions for an alternative dongle - I liked that one as it was so small!

sunny99

Feb 28, 2017
Stone, Staffordshire
Just thought I'd add my experience.

I bought the small usb dongle type before finding this post. Mine came updated with the latest firmware (1.04 I think).

I have a 65 plate Cupra 280 - I didn't spec full link originally but had it activated shortly after receiving the car so they added the cubby usb and aux port (don't think it was there originally but can't remember now). Wired AA works fine, have had some connection issues over the years but usually due to poor USB cables.

I have a galaxy S10 running android v12 so not new by any means but it is capable of wireless AA as was able to test it working on a relatives Aston which had an aftermarket wireless AA system.

Checked my headunit firmware and found it was on the 0245 so manually updated to the latest officially support 0253 version in hopes to get it working but no joy - when I plug the dongle in the cubby USB, everything looks okay initially, can connect to it via bluetooth and on phone it says wireless AA available continue on cars headunit. Full link icon doesn't change to AA however, Autobox is available in devices - when I select Autobox it tries to connect, then the dongle BT connection too phone drops and the headunit says "USB: Device not supported". Real bummer, can't imagine its a duff unit but its a possibility I suppose.

Maybe my headunit is to old of a version to work? any ideas/suggestions would be welcome - I was hoping as wired AA works this would also do the trick!

Last edited:

Cranny D

Dec 24, 2018
Just got mine and it worked.

Initially, the car threw up the same error some others mentioned about "unable to read usb" or something to that effect.

I then unpaired my cars Bluetooth profile on my phone and tried again and it worked.

No long run testing done yet, but managed to get it up and running - hopefully, not a fluke! I also didn't need to do any of the Web browser stuff some mentioned on here. Phone is an Samsung S22 for those wondering.

sunny99

Feb 28, 2017
Stone, Staffordshire
Just got mine and it worked.

Initially, the car threw up the same error some others mentioned about "unable to read usb" or something to that effect.

I then unpaired my cars Bluetooth profile on my phone and tried again and it worked.

No long run testing done yet, but managed to get it up and running - hopefully, not a fluke! I also didn't need to do any of the Web browser stuff some mentioned on here. Phone is an Samsung S22 for those wondering.

Interesting...I haven't sent mine back yet, I'll give that a try and see what happens!

Edit: No dice :( thanks for the suggestion though. I removed the bluetooth profile on my phone and from the car just to be sure but still getting the same.

What year is your car?

I will be sending this back in the next few days and I've ordered an AAwireless device which I've heard good things about...its just 4 times the price. Hopefully that works but if not another return process and I'll stick with it being wired :LOL:

Last edited:

MartinThorn

Feb 28, 2024
Maybe my headunit is to old of a version to work? any ideas/suggestions would be welcome - I was hoping as wired AA works this would also do the trick!

Yes , I've thought that too as my head unit, although upgraded, is still from about 2016 (s/w 0369) and with this little wireless adapter I just get constant attempts of Android Auto trying to connect but not succeeding.. wired USB AA connection is fine (once I've rebooted the stereo - really doesn't like this wireless adapter!).

leonlad

Mar 28, 2004
london
Yes , I've thought that too as my head unit, although upgraded, is still from about 2016 (s/w 0369) and with this little wireless adapter I just get constant attempts of Android Auto trying to connect but not succeeding.. wired USB AA connection is fine (once I've rebooted the stereo - really doesn't like this wireless adapter!).

There is a setting again in vcds to tell the usb port how to behave, i have carplay box so i had to set it to compatibility with both apple and android, also if your usb port is the purple connector that will only work with android auto, you need the green one for both. I also noticed some usb cables work and some don't. Does the wireless adapter use an apple protocol to host the wireless android auto ? That may be the case if you have the older purple plug.

Reactions: SuperV8

MartinThorn

Feb 28, 2024
No idea what colour the USB is, but it's the original MIB1 glovebox USB port so I'm 99.9% sure it doesn't support Apple Carplay (given all the forum posts on the issue and requirement to change the USB port when going to MIB2 head units - something I ignored being on Android platform which works fine wired).