wobble and judder.

ucchockey

Mar 9, 2008
lichfield
hi all. have searches this first but does not really answer question.

In 4th and 5th gear if i am accelerating at lower rpm (between 1500 and 2000) i get a juddering or wobbling through the car.

anyone got any idea what it might be?
have cleaned the maf sensor and used dialectric grease on the terminals. dont think this was the issue.

if it is the flywheel like some have suggested is it likely to fail or does it just judder? how can this be recified and will it cost a bomb?

Sisson

Club member
Aug 18, 2005
Derbyshire
its flywheel judder.

simple fix...........

don't accelerate hard below 2k

if you do and want to carry on doing so, get an uprated clutch

Job done...

ChrisGTL

'Awesome' LCR225
Nov 17, 2007
Huddersfield
Flywheel.

Had a uprated clutch in mine and my flywheel still judders if I use low RPM to boot.

Aviod low RPM & Heavy right foot ;)

ucchockey

Mar 9, 2008
lichfield
so replacing the clutch would solve a flywheel issue?

i thought the flywheel was a seperate part. i am not trying to be stupid.

Danny_FR

Soot? Meh...
Mar 1, 2007
Blackburn, Lancs
Definately flywheel judder. I mainly get it in 6th gear but on occasion in 5th when going up hill. IIRC the only fix is to get a SMF. Or drive around the problem by not accelerating hard at low revs in high gears.

Tall-Paul

Previously ph2858 :D
Nov 12, 2006
Manchester and Preston
I used to get that in 4, 5 and 6 but you will soon learn to drive round the problem. It never does it now unless cant be bothered to change down a gear. single mass fly wheels sound horrendous, the gearbox chatter is enough to put anyone off! not recommended

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
so replacing the clutch would solve a flywheel issue?

i thought the flywheel was a seperate part. i am not trying to be stupid.

You're right, changing the clutch won't make any difference to the DMF (Dual Mass Flywheel).

Is your car remapped ? If so, you might be able to get your mapper to revise your map slightly and knock things back just a tad at those revs to stop the oscillation.

ucchockey

Mar 9, 2008
lichfield
no the car is not remapped.

You all say to accelerate less hard but the judder is worse when i do that. it seems to be best to rev higher in third and avoid the lower revs in 4th and 5th. if it is related to the revs how come it doesnt do it in all gears at those revs?

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
no the car is not remapped.

You all say to accelerate less hard but the judder is worse when i do that. it seems to be best to rev higher in third and avoid the lower revs in 4th and 5th. if it is related to the revs how come it doesnt do it in all gears at those revs?

If the car is still standard and you're getting that kind of judder then I think it's a fair bet that your DMF is knackered.
Is the car still under warranty ?

As you progress into higher gears, you're presenting more load to the engine. Think of the effort required by your legs to move a bike in higher gears - same principle. Same reason as why clutches only tend to slip in higher gears.
I also think I'm right in saying it tends to happen at lower revs where the torque levels rise very rapidly, that somehow causes the oscillation (don't fully understand how though!).

ucchockey

Mar 9, 2008
lichfield
its a 51 plate so no warranty from seat. have a 3 month warranty from the garage i bought it from but i doubt if they will be interested in a wobble.

have seen dmf clutch kits on ebay for about 200 quid. any ideas how much a garage would charge to fit one or is it a job a reasonably competent person can do at home? have done car repairs but not a clutch/flywheel.

ucchockey

Mar 9, 2008
lichfield
have arranged to take car back to garage i got it from. they might tell me to put up with it but at least i will have tried.

Will replacing the flywheel solve this or is this the same with a new flywheel?

Have seen them on ebay for 200 quid. could buy one and have it fitted if this will solve it.

would hate to spend loads if a new one does it anyway.

Feb 1, 2007
Nottingham
If you are replacing the dmf you need to do the clutch too.
Expect a standard sachs clutch and dmf to be around £550 inc fitting.
If not planning to remap the std units will be fine.
I replaced my dmf and clutch with standard units 3k before I had my car mapped to 190bhp. The clutch is holding up with no problems but I do get the judder if I ask the engine to pull in 4th 5th or 6th under 2000rpm. So I dont do it and make sure the engine is above 2000 rpm if I give it some.
Glynn

sav-fr

Sep 24, 2007
Cannock, jun 10a m6
have arranged to take car back to garage i got it from. they might tell me to put up with it but at least i will have tried.

Will replacing the flywheel solve this or is this the same with a new flywheel?

Have seen them on ebay for 200 quid. could buy one and have it fitted if this will solve it.

would hate to spend loads if a new one does it anyway.

it will cost you around £200 depending on where you go if you go to seat around £450 - £500 :censored: i had my new clutch/cover plate & DMF fitted for £200 at bilston clutch near wolverhampton http://www.bilstonclutchandautocare.co.uk/

hope this helps

ucchockey

Mar 9, 2008
lichfield
garage reckon they cant feel the wobble.

they made a point that if the flywheel was duff it would judder all the time. i have to say it does not always do it. could it be fuelling maybe? or the maf sensor.

have cleaned the maf but it could be duff anyway.

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
The place you bought the car from don't know a spanner from a screwdriver and bang screws into wood with a brick

Oh, and they have your money so unlucky

Deffo sounds like a dmf failure to me probably due to misuse and dodgy gear changing by the previous owner/animal

The clutch and accelorator are not on/off switches :rolleyes:

leontdi130

Jan 20, 2008
Euxton (Chorley)
i read about gearbox clatter. my car is making a nasty noise in gears at the moment but my release bearing has gone noisy too. i think its the bearing anyway. but ive never known them make noise when driving but my box sounds horrible. only under accelleration. no matter how hard or how little. is it possible for a dmf to sieze up so it in effect becomes a single mass flywheel.
ucchockey's problem sounds like a dmf though. had a mate with an ibiza and his was like that. he had to gear down on the motorway to avoid the vibration.

ucchockey

Mar 9, 2008
lichfield
i think it is getting worse but it may be my imagination. do the dmf's deteriorate this quickly when duff. i am going to go back to garage again.

leontdi130

Jan 20, 2008
Euxton (Chorley)
not sure how quick they can deteriorate but as i understand its just a bearing so yeah it can go buggered in no time once its got play in the bearing. i'd even try a trip to another garage or the dealers and just have a word with them and see if they agree with you then you can go back to the garage with some confidence. even get a quoat off the garage you go to for how much it'll cost if to show the garage you got your car from to prove you aren't making it up.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.