Would you prefer your Leon to be RWD?

Rich.T

Feb 15, 2020
Just wondering on people's thoughts on weather the MK1 leon would be better if it were rear wheel drive?
A question for those who like to push their car about a bit.

I was in milton Keynes earlier today. I think if mine were rwd id either be dead or arrested now lol.

Rich

Reactions: Manic172

Johny

Feb 22, 2020
I'd love it but I don't think the weight distribution is good for a rwd being 60/40 or around that.

Last edited:

Connor H

Dec 19, 2019
Essex
I’d love for it to be awd , have to admit it’d be a weird rwd

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rich.T

Feb 15, 2020
I'd love it but I don't think the weight distribution is good for a rwd being 60/40 or around that.

I was thinking 1 Series BMW.
Just shorter wheelbase, quicker and better looking.

chriswales6

Mar 2, 2016
Europe had a 4 wheel drive version. But it was never sold in the UK. Having owned a few rear wheel drive cars, not sure I'd want my Leon rear only. The wheel base is a bit short so it could be rather likely to swap ends.

Gokiwi64

Geriatric Member
Apr 26, 2014
Hockley, Essex
Having driven all 3 types I would say I prefer rwd for fast driving, fwd is too understeery when pushed hard and 4wd is too heavy/bulky and understeers when pushed hard.
I'll stick with fwd for English roads at least.

Johny

Feb 22, 2020
Having driven all 3 types I would say I prefer rwd for fast driving, fwd is too understeery when pushed hard and 4wd is too heavy/bulky and understeers when pushed hard.
I'll stick with fwd for English roads at least.
I have to disagree with the awd being too heavy and understeering when pushed hard. I've got KW V1 coilovers, F1 Super sport tyres, all new arms, mounts etc on my A4 B5 Quattro and it's just gripping the road no matter what I throw at it I'm taking 60mph corners at 80mph and if any axle looses grip it's the rear one which is really strange as I too was expecting the car to understeer a bit as they say it's noseheavy and all that but the truth is it's got 55/45 weight distribution and if you spend a bit of money on decent suspension it's more then enough for 9 out of 10 drivers, but if running on stock tired suspension then I agree with you they can understeer aswell and then it makes no sense to carry the extra weight around to get the same handling as a fwd.

Battoussai

Mar 22, 2016
Portugal
I have to agree with awd as best driving preference. But for daily driving fwd is just fine. I live in a region with plenty of roundabouts so any crazy speeds with rwd will throw me to neighbour's garden. :happy:

Reactions: Rich.T

Rich.T

Feb 15, 2020
I agree. If they were RWD there would probably be a lot less of them about than there are now.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members