Xenomatch Bulbs

karlw

AKA Shifty - Modded LCR
Jan 29, 2010
Ipswich, Suffolk
Got these today to try in my LCR (I hope its H7 fitting ;) )

I ran them in my evo and nex to my brothers who had a proper HID kit you could hardly tell the difference and for £11.99 can you really go wrong? :thumbup:

bulbxenomatch.jpg

8bit

Feb 11, 2010
Aberdeen
Hmm interesting. I need to sort my headlights out but didn't want to go to the lengths of installing HIDs - be keen to hear how you get on with these, keep us posted. Where did you get these, if you don't mind me asking?

karlw

AKA Shifty - Modded LCR
Jan 29, 2010
Ipswich, Suffolk
I think they do everything and are well priced on the HID kits too.
Once i have tried these ill get the LED side lights before i look at the full beams.

TubbyTwo

Taking a break from JDM..
Jan 27, 2010
Ipswich, Suffolk
need to get some new ones for mine, will have to take a peek at yours at night once they are fitted.

Had MTECs in mine that were blue, and some HID ones and they looked nice but didnt light the road as well as the original halogen ones :(

are the 55w or 100w?

karlw

AKA Shifty - Modded LCR
Jan 29, 2010
Ipswich, Suffolk
need to get some new ones for mine, will have to take a peek at yours at night once they are fitted.

Had MTECs in mine that were blue, and some HID ones and they looked nice but didnt light the road as well as the original halogen ones :(

are the 55w or 100w?

thats fine bud, I rekon they will be 100 x better than my current candles.
They are 55W 5000k Charged bulbs

Chester

MPG racer
Mar 25, 2002
Peterborough
I've got Ring XenonMax in mine, but I'd guess that these H7s are much hotter in temerature (cooler in colour). I've got 'Xenon' coloured LED side lights. I think these would be a better match.

Probably a little overkill matching headlamp bulbs to sidelights, but oh well!

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
Looks to me like a blue-painted filament bulb. Can't be as bright as the same bulb without the blue paint on it - leave off the filter and more light will get out.

The Xenon labelling is a red herring: all quartz-halogen bulbs have an inert gas filling, and xenon is just that, an inert gas.

I suspect this is just another cosmetic bulb, to give you the look of a discharge lamp without the hassel of installing one. For maximum illumination out of a filament lamp, go for the clear high-power ones like Osram Nightbreakers or Philips Extreme Power.

karlw

AKA Shifty - Modded LCR
Jan 29, 2010
Ipswich, Suffolk
Looks to me like a blue-painted filament bulb. Can't be as bright as the same bulb without the blue paint on it - leave off the filter and more light will get out.

The Xenon labelling is a red herring: all quartz-halogen bulbs have an inert gas filling, and xenon is just that, an inert gas.

I suspect this is just another cosmetic bulb, to give you the look of a discharge lamp without the hassel of installing one. For maximum illumination out of a filament lamp, go for the clear high-power ones like Osram Nightbreakers or Philips Extreme Power.

And how much are they? Probably not a tenner
Ive tested these (not in a leon admittidly) so know what they are like. Yes i know they are no real HID lights and know all the splur about gas filling etc etc
All I am saying is that when put next to another car with HID kit there was no noticeable difference (Both Evo VI). So from a saving view of about £140 then trying out a £11.99 set was a no brianer. If however they dont perform as well as they did in the Evo then I will look at the HID kit.

Chester

MPG racer
Mar 25, 2002
Peterborough

Mmm, you're right about the blue filter effectively limiting the amount of light from the bulb, especially from other parts of the colour spectrum. However I do believe the Xenon gas helps, possibly just by changing the colour temperature of the light output. Even if that is the case and there aren't any more lumens from these 'cosmetic' bulbs, it does add clarity to night time driving.

I don't believe having a 'blue tinge' to headlamps helps one bit though. They are distracting for other road users and the filtered affect cannot offer any more visibility in real terms at dusk or at night.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.