yet another Leon leak

jwindley

I've had a leak into the drivers footwell for some time :censored: (only seems to show up in winter) but recently I've spotted that it's wet in the rear drivers side footwell too. Could this be from the same leak? Tracing around the shape of the floor it looks like the front and rear footwells are separate, but you never know!

The leak seems to be coming from the bulkhead, and not the door seals. I've already pulled the doors to pieces using the guide on the forum, and they are all dry inside, and the seal seems to be rubber, and not foam (it's a 2003 model) so I think this is the "fixed" seals.

The carpet gets wet right up under the pedals, which would seems to agree with my theory, but I can't see where it's coming from. I recently read a post by "Neil Ireland" about removing the lower dash and fuse box to fix a bulkhead leak. Is there a guide to this, or is it pretty straightforward?

Thanks for your help.

olliep

Wants a mk2 GTI
Oct 3, 2005
Winchester
Could this be from the same leak? .

i thought they must be two leaks when this happened to mine but i can assure you in my case it was the same leak. even though it seemed to be dry in the middle. infact the rear was wetter! stealer quoted 1 hours labour to resolve (which for me was just shy of £100) for reference.

jwindley

thanks for that. If I thought it was 2 leaks I think I'd be waiting for warm weather, and selling it!

The stupid thing is, it hasn't rained recently, but I gave it a wash on Sunday... That'll teach me!

jwindley

thanks for the pictures / tips. I attacked the car at the weekend, and also found what looks like a small hole near the drainage area. I've no idea whether this goes all the way through the bulkhead, so I cleaned / degreased the whole area, and applied silicone. While I was there, I also undid the top of the electrical box, and ran more silicone around the foam seal. Only time will tell if I've fixed it!

Finally, I got the wet/dry vac out, and managed to suck out over 2 pints of filthy water from the front and back footwell. :scary: Most of it was from under the underlay / sound proofing, but I managed to get the edge of the carpet / underlay up, and get the nozzle under there.

Judging by the amount of water, I can only imagine that it's been consistently leaking for a very long time, and doesn't show itself until its completely saturated, as its flowing under the carpets, and the underlay has a rubber top surface.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.