How many miles per full tank?

Nathanio

May 26, 2005
West Sussex
www.w1pcs.co.uk
I have a 2007 mdl yr Leon 2.0 tdi 140 dsg I have had problems with consumption since new and I don`t boot it because I need to save fuel + traffic from work is a pain. Get approx 450 but showes 570 on computer at the mo, which drops like a stone nearer run out. I also use millers. If i did`nt convinced would be worse

How many miles has your car got on it and what driving do you do?

leontdi130

Jan 20, 2008
Euxton (Chorley)
i thought it was doing well on this tank but i put 100 miles on it today and its just shy of half tank at 240 miles. it'll drop like a stone now to empty. wish i could work out whats up with it and get the sort of milage i used to out of a tank.

jazzmonst

I've just picked up my FR TDi 170 and on a full tank of Shell Extra with nothing added i've just done about 470 miles which has a bit of motorway and A roads which isn't too bad for a brand new car and i was testing out the turbo as well :D.

When i filled it up, the trip computer said 450 miles.

I might try Shell V Power since i live a stones throw away from a Shell Garage to see if it makes any difference.

Trumpetman21

Fully Membered
Jan 17, 2006
Manchester
i thought it was doing well on this tank but i put 100 miles on it today and its just shy of half tank at 240 miles. it'll drop like a stone now to empty. wish i could work out whats up with it and get the sort of milage i used to out of a tank.

After I fill up it runs down to half a tank with about 310 miles covered but the second half of a tank only lasts an additional 150 miles or so.

Not just the SEAT though - the Toyota we have is exactly the same too....second half of tank is drained much faster than the first half.

leontdi130

Jan 20, 2008
Euxton (Chorley)
my mpg is up by 10 mpg on the way home tonight which is good. think its just because its winter that is making my mpg less than it used to be. a combination of having lights on and heaters and the cold wet weather. but today its been warmer and tonight i didn't need my lights on or wipers.

monkeytennis

Altea 2.0 TDi Sport - No mods 482 miles is my record, 47 litres to fill it back up

Trip comp will say 600 though when full. On a tank the trip comp averaged 55mpg, actual was 45.8

Last edited by a moderator:

FR Damo

After my motorway trip to work this morning my trip comp read 55.6 mpg

twolitre

hi there, only had my fr+ tdi for 1 week now. got 500 miles off the first tank .just had it remapped, second fill has done 300 miles and showing half a tank with the trip saying 250 miles left.

jazzmonst

Hi twolitre,

I've got a few questions!

That's a great economy for your new FR TDi (Leon or Ibiza?) Did you fill up with normal diesel (and any additives) and where did you go for your remap (slightly off topic sorry!).

Nyteshade

Is it dark yet?
Feb 1, 2005
Satan's Layby
I get about 400 -450 miles from a tank... have never used any additives... drive with a variety of styles.. conditions and other road users dependant...

never bother with the shell special diesel either.......

I do draw the line at vegtable oil tho

Trumpetman21

Fully Membered
Jan 17, 2006
Manchester
Last tank got to 465 miles & fuel light came on - filled up & got just over 52 litres in so I work that out to be around 40-41 mpg....much the same as I got with the last couple of tanks.

Not convinced with this Millers stuff, when this bottle runs out will run a couple of tanks without it and see if I can get back up to a 43-44mpg average I was getting before I started using Millers.

twolitre

Hi twolitre,

I've got a few questions!

That's a great economy for your new FR TDi (Leon or Ibiza?) Did you fill up with normal diesel (and any additives) and where did you go for your remap (slightly off topic sorry!).

hi bud, seat leon. just filled up with shell diesel (not v power) and remap just done on friday at " performance torque ". you can really notice the difference when mapped ! the fuel figures that i got were from steady driving. did a bit on the motorway (no more than 2k revs) and round town but not heavy footed.

i was quite suprised with the figures. a bit different to my last car that did 18-22 to the gallon. :cry:

JPS3290

Dirty Diesel
Jun 6, 2003
Durham
Visit site
Last tank got to 465 miles & fuel light came on - filled up & got just over 52 litres in so I work that out to be around 40-41 mpg....much the same as I got with the last couple of tanks.

Not convinced with this Millers stuff, when this bottle runs out will run a couple of tanks without it and see if I can get back up to a 43-44mpg average I was getting before I started using Millers.

Same here. Couple of guys at work were raving how good Millers was, how it made their engines quieter, smoother and were getting 50-60 miles more per tank.

Only difference I have noticed is the fact it's costing more per tank with the cost of millers and that I get strange looks from people while sticking it in at the petrol station.

Just stuck a tank of V-Power in for a change. I do actually feel that this had made the engine feel smoother, maybe not any quieter but so far i'm also slightly up on miles per the first 1/4 tank. Doubt it's enough to justify the extra 6p per litre I had to pay though. I'll give it another 2 tanks before converting back to basic Shell Extra. Costs me enough having to use V-Power in the Scooby!

Trumpetman21

Fully Membered
Jan 17, 2006
Manchester
Same here. Couple of guys at work were raving how good Millers was, how it made their engines quieter, smoother and were getting 50-60 miles more per tank.

Only difference I have noticed is the fact it's costing more per tank with the cost of millers and that I get strange looks from people while sticking it in at the petrol station.

Just stuck a tank of V-Power in for a change. I do actually feel that this had made the engine feel smoother, maybe not any quieter but so far i'm also slightly up on miles per the first 1/4 tank. Doubt it's enough to justify the extra 6p per litre I had to pay though. I'll give it another 2 tanks before converting back to basic Shell Extra. Costs me enough having to use V-Power in the Scooby!

I reckon the placebo effect has a lot to do with it - initially I almost convinced myself it had a beneficial effect but looking at the cold hard facts (and the trip computer) told me otherwise.

Don't get me wrong, no doubt some motors benefit from it but my 27000-mile Ibiza Cupra TDI doesn't seem to be any better, powerful or economical with it.

To cap it all off had it on the Awesome Dyno at the weekend and if it does give any power gains they were strangely absent that day - pretty much the same as it was before I put Millers in (even down slightly).

On another point how do you find CC stage 1 on the TDI? Trying to convince the missus on the benefits of a remap and looking at recent comments here p-torque & CC seem top of the pile.

AndyVTR

Mar 19, 2002
Old Leon with Revo averaged 600 tanks with venting. Got one 700 once.
New Leon which is rubbish averages 500 tanks and best of 570 so far...

JPS3290

Dirty Diesel
Jun 6, 2003
Durham
Visit site
I reckon the placebo effect has a lot to do with it - initially I almost convinced myself it had a beneficial effect but looking at the cold hard facts (and the trip computer) told me otherwise.

Don't get me wrong, no doubt some motors benefit from it but my 27000-mile Ibiza Cupra TDI doesn't seem to be any better, powerful or economical with it.

To cap it all off had it on the Awesome Dyno at the weekend and if it does give any power gains they were strangely absent that day - pretty much the same as it was before I put Millers in (even down slightly).

On another point how do you find CC stage 1 on the TDI? Trying to convince the missus on the benefits of a remap and looking at recent comments here p-torque & CC seem top of the pile.

I won't be buying anymore Miller's. Got enough for one more tank I think. Ive event tried the double shot of putting 4 lots in one tank and still no miracle ;)

As for the CC-1 map, it's great. Much more torque, car really pulls now and pulls all the way to 5k. As standard it wasn't worth going past 4k, that's all changed with CC-1. MPG wise it's definitely not any worse. Problem is it's now even more tempting to boot it a little more often but I have seen 60.8mpg average on my 35 mile trip to work which is a mixture of A/B roads and town traffic (Newcastle). To be honest though I reset Trip 2 every tank and over the course of a tank i'm getting 48mpg which is 2 up from before the remap.

Engine was mapped with about 6700 miles on the clock so quite tight still. Hitting 9k now and MPG going up nicely. Only thing I have noticed is a bit of DMF resonance if you tried to boot it below 2k in the wrong gear as a whole load of torque comes in. Drop down one and problem gone. No clutch slip what so ever so far *touch wood*.

Trumpetman21

Fully Membered
Jan 17, 2006
Manchester
When you open up the fuel tank look on the RHS (Ibiza anyway) of the neck and you will notice a little catch sitting there. If you push it down (inwards - towards the tank) when you fill you will notice a 'whooshing' noise as you get close to full and in my supposedly 45-litre tank I can cram over 52 litres in with this technique.

Means you can travel further on a tankful is all.

AndyVTR

Mar 19, 2002
Venting: The act of shouting abuse at another driver and having a strop instead of dropping two gears and blowing him away thus saving fuel.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.