LCR .. twin fans

Mukkyman

Jul 1, 2007
Mukkyman, my hubby seems to think that you would be able to fit it using the current guide, just as Muttly did...

Rebecca

Sweet, i will make a order tomorrow when i get some funds sorted. Am i right in saying you guys accept paypal?

Thanks again.

smoothuk

SmoothNAV
Aug 26, 2005
Essex
I will definately be ordering one when i get paid on the 23rd :) Im all paranoid now, dont wanna use the air con!

Mukkyman

Jul 1, 2007
I will definately be ordering one when i get paid on the 23rd :) Im all paranoid now, dont wanna use the air con!

Same here mate, weather has been pritty good aswell. for now i will turn the aircon on the motor way while the air is cooling it all down. :)

Mukkyman

Jul 1, 2007
Hi Rebecca just put one on order now :) I've sent payment by Paypal. Look forward to fitting it.

muttly

Oct 1, 2005
Stamford Nr Peterborough
ok i know rebecca & co are going to do a guide for the leon using my pics, but i thought i would post one up here in the meantime..although it almost indentical to the golf its just a slightly tighter fit underneath the battery compartment due to where the wiring loom runs on the leon and the instructions that came with it were 1st class and was whole procedure was very simple really

CIMG1726.jpg

step 1 - remove battery
ok 1st you need to remove the battery cover..disconect the negative on the battery followed by the plus.. disconect the cable on the plus terminal that feeds the fusebox.. carefully pivot the fusebox up....remove the plastic cover behind the light. now undo the retaining bolt infront of the battery...the battery should lift clear of the battery compartment now..

step 2 - remove battery compartment
now you need remove the battery compartment..you should be able to unclip the fusbox from the plastic its mounted on..so that it hangs free then where the cables go down behind the battery compartment there should be a cover that slides off.. now undo the 4 bolts holding the battery compartment ..you should now be able to carefully remove the battery compartment..although i have and induction kit so not sure if there is anything that fixed to the airbox originally but i dont think there was.

CIMG1728.jpg

step 3 - locate and unbolt the fan controller
at the front left just between the wiring loom and the intercooler pipe there is a metal plate with 2 bolts going through it.. you shouldnt be able to miss it, mine had gone all rusty!..you need to undo these 2 bolts which hold the fan controller on underneath.. you can just about undo them as they are close to the intercooler pipe.. i used a long reach ring spanner.. once these are undone carefully pull the fan controller out from underneath taking note which way it was bolted on

you can see here in the bottom left of the pic the rusty plate and the 2 bolts
CIMG1729.jpg

this is the fan controller
CIMG1730.jpg

step 4 - strip cables on wiring loom
ok on the big connector the 2 wires we need are the top middle wire(red with white stripe) and the and the wire on the right of this which is thicker these are pins 1 and 2 marked on the fan controler! seen in the pic above.. ok unplug both the connectors once you know which 2 wires you need...now you need to carefully strip abit of insulation off each of these wires using a knife without damaging the copper strands...

CIMG1732.jpg

step 5 - connect fan control module
once youve striped the wires strip back the brown and blue wires on the fan control module about an inch so that you can wrap them around the 2 wires on the the loom so that the brown wire is conected to the thinner red wire with white stripe and the blue wire is connected to the thicker red wire with black strip then using a soldering iron carfeully solder the 2 cables so that they are secure ..once happy i simply wraped plenty of insulation tape around the conections and around the wires on the fan control module..refitted the plug in conections on the fan controller and bolted it back the same way it came out

the soldered conections
CIMG1733.jpg

nicely insulated
CIMG1734.jpg

step 6 - securing the the fan control module
i then found a suitble spot to secure the module.. as i mentioned earlier its abit of a tight fit under the battery compartment due to the wiring loom thats there.. but it does just about fit if you push it tight upto the wiring loom so that it actually pushes the loom forward as much as it will go.. you may need to try it several times by refiting the battery compartment to see where the mounting posts land before securing it with the sticky pads..i also shaved about 5mm off 1 of the flanges on the bottom of the battery compartment to be sure it cleared the module and the mounting bolts lined up ok

CIMG1736.jpg

the 1st time i fitted it it got in the way and i had to unstick it and go and get some more sticky pads which i then got grey outdoor ones from colemans which said they withstand temperatures of between -40 and +80degrees which seemed more suitable than the 1's supplied..although im not saying they wouldnt of held ok

once i was happy with the position i cleaned the area with methalated spirits to enusre it stuck well and fixed it in place.

CIMG1737.jpg

step 7 - connect negative lead
i tidied up the cabling using tie wraps.. made sure nothing was trapped or going to get damaged in anyway and then conected the negative green and yellow lead to the earth point on the left hand side

CIMG1737.jpg

step 8 - test
before refitting evrything i temporarilly reconected the battery to make sure it all worked ok ..i just made sure evrything was safe and not in the way of the fans place the battery on top reconected the leads ..started the car and switched the aircon on.. and like magic the fans came on at slow speed

step 9 - refit evrything!..
once i was happy with it all workin i disconected the battery and refitted evrything the same way it came out and reconected the battery once again making sure i reset the throttle bodies by leaving the key in the ignition position until the throttle bodies aligned before starting the car

i hope i havent missed anything out and its all pretty clear.. im no expert at these things so i think if i could do it anyone could!..hope it helps

Rebecca

Wow Muttly that's a brilliant post! I'm sure with a combination of the original guide and your post people will be completely fine with this now. Thanks for sharing.

And thanks for the orders guys. We'll be working to ship asap. You'll receive an email with a tracking number when we have sent them.

Rebecca

Last edited by a moderator:

smoothuk

SmoothNAV
Aug 26, 2005
Essex
Still 85 quid is well cheap IMO for teh work that has gone into it, and also compaired to the 400 odd quid form seat :)

Jay20VT

The 'R' In CupRa
Jul 23, 2004
N.London
Update!!

Hi guys, have been reading this post with must interest. When I pop my aircon on, the car feels sluggish to drive and will even stutter when I take off in first gear. As previously mentioned by some of you the car dash lights will dim too. I myself thought this was normal but it seems this is not the case. I have just noe called my local dealer and the service manager seems to think the low speed fan is shot and the high speed fan is trying to compensate for this??

Does that sound like what is going on?

It sounds viable to me, but he has agreed to have the car in for more checks, luckily under warranty.....just....

Will update you all when I get the findings next Tuesday.

Jay

OK chaps, got the car back and they changed the rads under warranty. I did explain that this seems a little odd for a car which is barely 3 years old but the service manager said he had done a few of these and none had come back. I just wonder if an improvement had been made on the replacement parts. Anyway, the aircon is sound and that terrible surge of power being chewed by the fans, Now gone!!.
However, if this happens again which is bound to be outside my warranty, I say we ALL turn up on a Monday morning at the SEAT UK offices and make it know a recall is on order. Anyone with me..... Lets see.

rllmuk

Apr 23, 2005
OK chaps, got the car back and they changed the rads under warranty. I did explain that this seems a little odd for a car which is barely 3 years old but the service manager said he had done a few of these and none had come back. I just wonder if an improvement had been made on the replacement parts. Anyway, the aircon is sound and that terrible surge of power being chewed by the fans, Now gone!!.
However, if this happens again which is bound to be outside my warranty, I say we ALL turn up on a Monday morning at the SEAT UK offices and make it know a recall is on order. Anyone with me..... Lets see.

What dealer is this btw? May come in handy if mine claim it's standard behaviour again...

Mad Spoons

Spoons
Jun 27, 2005
Yorkshire
Muttly

Where abouts did you fasten the earth to? is not that clear on you pics.

Top guide by the way, might have to give it a go as i dont have the £400 its going to cost to replace the fans.

Jay20VT

The 'R' In CupRa
Jul 23, 2004
N.London
Mine is all sorted now under warranty. Low speed fans are back!

Cool, same here, but what if they go again? Bearing in mind my car's warranty ends at the end of this month. So, lets talk preventative measures, any ideas guys?? Heatinks perhaps??

muttly

Oct 1, 2005
Stamford Nr Peterborough
Muttly

Where abouts did you fasten the earth to? is not that clear on you pics.

Top guide by the way, might have to give it a go as i dont have the £400 its going to cost to replace the fans.

if you look at the last 2 pics(which happen to be the same pic..OOPs lol) you can see on the right of the pic the yellow ring crimp where it is bolted to the right earthing point .. you simply have to undo the black nut thats there and slip the ring crimp over the and re tighten

Last edited:

muttly

Oct 1, 2005
Stamford Nr Peterborough
Cool, same here, but what if they go again? Bearing in mind my car's warranty ends at the end of this month. So, lets talk preventative measures, any ideas guys?? Heatinks perhaps??

i dont think theres anything you can do as the resistor is built into the fan itself.. its not really an efficient way of controlling fan speed in the 1st place. i guess it was the cheapest way tho!

Mad Spoons

Spoons
Jun 27, 2005
Yorkshire
if you look at the last 2 pics(which happen to be the same pic..OOPs lol) you can see on the right of the pic the yellow ring crimp where it is bolted to the right earthing point .. you simply have to undo the black nut thats there and slip the ring crimp over the and re tighten

Legend! Cheers pal.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.