2.0T FSI Engine - Insurance Groups???

seadragon

SEADRAGON
Apr 1, 2006
Benington, Herts.
I have already ordered my FR, which I am excited about but am helping a friend get her new car, she is stuck on either an A3, the FR or the GTI.

She was wondering (and me too) why the A3, FR, GTI and VRS, which all share the same engine and have the same output, are in different insurance groups:

ie, FR - Grp 14
GTI - Grp 17
VRS - Grp 15
A3 - Grp 15

Any help in clearing this up would be greatly appreciated.

She seems to be set on the GTI but she is in her early 20's and insurance would be astronomical, so I am trying to steer her towards the FR ;)

Many thanks in advance

JohnnyDrama

Dec 19, 2006
Lancs
off the top of my head, because the others are more expensive to buy in the first place and replacement parts are more expensive??

swoods

Feb 15, 2007
Kent
From what I understand the the value (i.e group) is dictated by the cost of repair, hense why audi/VW is higher than Seat. I would imagine parts and labour costs are considered higher.

If it helps, my old TT was group 18, and the saving moving to the FR (which is faster) on group 14 is a yearly saving of just over £150 a year.

Mar 26, 2007
Norn Iron
I think its about the perceived desirability for the car to be stolen..

When I was getting insurance quotes, I priced the Golf TDI Sport 140 and the Leon FR 170 both at being valued at £16,000.. the insurance was still a little more than the leon even with having 30bhp less..

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise