Car nowhere near claimed 240 bhp K04

m0sch

JabbaSport K04 Cupra
Feb 11, 2010
Windsor
www.facebook.com
hello i need abit of help with my new ibiza cupra if anyone can help ?

just bought a ibiza cupra ... APPARENTLY its got a k04 turbo S3 injectors maf sensor and manifold which im not too sure about

i do know its got a recirc valve , supersprint exhaust system with maybe a hundred cell decat pipe , looks like piper cross filter and a front mount intercooler with samcos etc ,boost gauge , oil tem gauge and vaults gauge, coilys which sit too low on the front , 17" oz superleggeras leon splitter that i splpit as soon as i got back to my hometown by hitting a rabbit !

bought the car and it feels seriously low on power i told the lad i thought it felt about 170 ish bhp and no where near the 240 he had stated and after a power run it was 165 and the engine management light which is on is saying the cat however on the dyno it appears to be really overfuelling i didnt take it to my normal dyno place as they wasnt available when i was so took it one im not too firmiliar with but he told me the turbos on these are small and normally spoll up very quick but thinks mine doesnt there for its a bigger turbo maybe ? either way the car is only boosting to 11 psi and holding about 9 psi so iv been told thats a standard boost

so i was gonna just wind out the actuator as there if plenty of fuel but i was then told not to do that as with these its software adjustment and if i did that it would just pop !

i dont know what the problem could be maybe it has a standard map on it and the s3 injectors are flooding it with fuel and the lamda is kickin off puttin the engine management light and causing it to be laggy and only 165bhop cause form what iv read evan with the mods i have i should have more power then this ??

iv been advised to go somewhere with vag com to get it looked at again im in windsor area and not sure where would do it as my normal tuners do not !

or does anyone else have any ideas of what it could be ??

thanks and sorry for the essay :)

ebo007

Jul 15, 2008
Dundee, Scotland
If you doubt the Power and info told you, why did you buy it? Surely thats a walk away sign?????? :confused:

Mine Boosts to 8-9 psi and holds it, but thats standard car. Yeah dont touch the actuator, its bad news on these so I have read. As Robbie said u need to get it checked out by someone in the know, If it is a KO4 then i'm sure the manifold etc would need to be changed (correct me if I am wrong) so even looking at another 'standard' one u might be able to tell if its different.

Mar 1, 2009
Liverpool
Take some pictures if you can, may help to find out whats installed.

Sounds to me like its on a bad map.

Do you have any RR printouts from the previous owner, or mapping receipts?

m0sch

JabbaSport K04 Cupra
Feb 11, 2010
Windsor
www.facebook.com
cause the car was priced for quite cheap considering mods etc so i doubted it had these mods anyway and i could see it had exhaust filter recirc etc so i bought it for the price they were going for on pistonheads etc anyway with this milage and history etc it just sounded like it had a boost leak so simple fix really either way im not fussed if its not the k04 turbo etc cause i seriously doubted it would be but the bloke on the dyno said the k03 sprolls up really quick where this one doesnt so he thinks its a bigger one iv not taken it to my normal tuner yet as hes in hospital but lookin at it saturday just wondering if the problem i stated could be what i think with the injectors pushing too much fuel on to a standard map or what else it could be ? i have a pic or 2 of engine bay but wont let me post pics on here yet or pm :(

i have 1 print out from 2004 saying 202 bhp and no recuiept for map but like i said i did kncok price down when it was clearly not 240 the bloke was sayin he bought it as it is a year ago n was jus told what mods were done to it he didnt mod it so its hearsay also no reciept for cambelt or log of it in history so need that done asap really !

jamiebennett81

Can I ask where you bought it from mate? was it a member off of here?

jamiebennett81

if you need a hand with vag com let me know. I am only down the road from you

m0sch

JabbaSport K04 Cupra
Feb 11, 2010
Windsor
www.facebook.com
right jus spoke to the bloke at progressive performance and he said the car was mapped to 16-17 psi and was running 240 bhp last he saw it it has a 225 TT set up turbo etc aswell and said i should get an oil cooler on it as the temp was high when he last saw it then get a proper map winding the boost back up he also said at 22psi it was producing 300 bhp but at another tuner he said there is nothing wrong with the engine but its also a recall from seat so i can take it there and get the brakes done too as the brake light is on

he said he tyold the lad who had it b4 me to get a oil cooler on it but he never did and said i should do that before winding the boost up and said it has the k04 turbo on it etc he said maybe someone has just turned the boost down hense why there is still alot of fuel going in

tom.everett

Interesting.. will be good to see a VAG-COM check over.

I did speak to Bill @ Badger5 RE this car, and he did say to question why would someone goto all the trouble of getting a K04 kit fitted and then not use the boost....

I'd be worried about the Oil Temp... What did you say it was getting to on the gauge??

Last edited:

jamiebennett81

right jus spoke to the bloke at progressive performance and he said the car was mapped to 16-17 psi and was running 240 bhp last he saw it it has a 225 TT set up turbo etc aswell and said i should get an oil cooler on it as the temp was high when he last saw it then get a proper map winding the boost back up he also said at 22psi it was producing 300 bhp but at another tuner he said there is nothing wrong with the engine but its also a recall from seat so i can take it there and get the brakes done too as the brake light is on

he said he tyold the lad who had it b4 me to get a oil cooler on it but he never did and said i should do that before winding the boost up and said it has the k04 turbo on it etc he said maybe someone has just turned the boost down hense why there is still alot of fuel going in

K04's are water and oil cooled, and you only need an oil cooler if you are doing some serious motorsport type driving which I am guessing you are not

a standard K04 will NEVER see 300bhp, unless its on a very happy dyno (hybrid K04 maybe at a push)

typically KKK turbo's run very hot

if the boost is turned down, typically the ECU will adapt and match fuel correctly to match the air flow

How does he know all these things? did he run VAG com on it etc?

If you pop over to Weybridge, we can do a few runs up and down the dual carriageway to get some logs done

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.