Car Tax ---Leon Cupra

Jul 10, 2007
Leeds
Isnt that something to do with the age of the car? The emissions thing is limited to cars built within the last x number of years....

The rules change depending on the age of the car.

I think it's before March 2001 it goes on engine size.

After that it goes on CO2 but there is something about the mega bucks band G only applying to cars built after March 2006.

Stupid thing about all this is, the Mrs and I try to use public transport but there isn't the infrastructure in the U.K. to stop people using cars.

The Mrs gets the train everyday and has to squeeze on the train as it is overcrowded, some people can't even get on.

I had to stand all the way from Birmingham to Leeds a few weeks ago as the train was overcrowded.

Also paid £1.80 or something silly for a 2.5 mile bus journey recently...

Mar 26, 2007
S.Wales
my guess would be the emissions test states your cars performance against the stock figure from the manufacturer. i.e. the manufacturer figure is 202g/km2 and your car is producing 0.01% more than that --> 202.02g/km2.

also, according to parkers (and this may not be accurate) the LC produces 204g/km2.

Jul 10, 2007
Leeds
apparently the banding is on what seat told the DVLA when the car is made (not the individual car ...but the model) I've got an old brochure for the mark one leons and it does say that its a 202g/km and also on my registration document

The CO2 emissions within model can actaully. Each car gets a Type Approval code and that code relates CO2 emissions amongst other things.

Most options won't affect this, but say a standard car without aircon vs the same car with aircon could be a different weight and thus produce more CO2. (but not necessarily the case).

The brochures usually says the emissions are a guide only and can be affected by factory fit optional extras.

Used to work in IT for a major motoring manufacturer and this is one of the areas I spent quite a while looking at...

Mar 26, 2007
S.Wales
ah I see I think youcould be right there... however my figure was -0.01% so im less by one tenth of a percent

i know what you are saying but i have a feeling (and it is just a feeling) that it kind of works in reverse...i.e. you are 0.01% worse than standard....rather than 0.01% less than standard.

im not sure about that one though. :shrug:

777cupra

Jan 12, 2007
Buckinghamshire
The CO2 emissions within model can actaully. Each car gets a Type Approval code and that code relates CO2 emissions amongst other things.

Most options won't affect this, but say a standard car without aircon vs the same car with aircon could be a different weight and thus produce more CO2. (but not necessarily the case).

The brochures usually says the emissions are a guide only and can be affected by factory fit optional extras.

Used to work in IT for a major motoring manufacturer and this is one of the areas I spent quite a while looking at...

I see what you mean, but I was talking about the physical car....so two cars of the same spec and optional extras are in the same banding....not that they actually measured my car on the production line and then gave it a banding based on it's individual emmissions,

Jul 10, 2007
Leeds
I see what you mean, but I was talking about the physical car....so two cars of the same spec and optional extras are in the same banding....not that they actually measured my car on the production line and then gave it a banding based on it's individual emmissions,

Yep your right, I don't think a physical car is measured, just an example of each spec and options.

Interestingly enough in some countries the tax paid when you buy the car is calculated in a similar way, so a lot of people get options fitted at the dealer so they pay less tax...

On the point about groupings the following link is useful:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/HowToTaxYourVehicle/DG_10012524

The calculator a few pages in only works for new cars though.

I'd be suprised if a Mark 1 Cupra was band G as band G only came out last year...

Unless they class it as that for whatever reason on the reg doc as G but only charge the band F rate...

Jul 10, 2007
Leeds
http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/ved/?deriv=18714

Just seen this thanks to the link to Parkers.....and if your car was registered before 1st March 2001 its £180 and after 1st March 2001 its £205 for 12 months!

it's the same car and engine ffs how is that fair?

I had the opposite when I had my 1999 1.8 Focus, if I went out and bought a new one identical in 2001 the road tax would have been cheaper...

And the government wants less cars on the road...

777cupra

Jan 12, 2007
Buckinghamshire
hmm your right there phil, maybe the G stands for something else on mine as this its only for cars over 225g/km registered after march 06

thing that annoys me is that if my car was 3 weeks older then it is, then I'd be in the old system of car tax and just paying £180

Jonny

slightly insane monkey
Jul 5, 2005
South Wales
I've got an old brochure for the mark one leons and it does say that its a 202g/km and also on my registration document

I have old brochures too ('03, '04 & '05) and the 1.8 20VT Cupra / FR is 204g/km :blink:

1.8 20V = 192g/km
1.8 20V Automatic = 214g/km
1.8 20V T = 204g/km
1.8 20V T (Cupra R) = 211g/km

Funny how people think they're saving the planet by buying utterly useless cars like a 0.7 litre Smart Car. Only 113g/km CO2, tax band B = £35 per year.

Compare this to my big, heavy, disgusting, massively polluting filth machine which coughs out an outrageous 211g/km CO2, tax band F = £205 per year. And damn right too, I'm killing the planet with my beast!

However... Mr. Save the Environment with his pointless little smart car uses his car every day and racks up 30,000km per year. Over this distance, Mr. Save the Environment has wafted out a miserly 3390kg CO2 in his lovely, environmentally friendly Smart Car.

I, on the other hand, with my heavy polluting filth machine, choking people and killing trees within a 10 mile radius of everywhere I go, only travel around 15,000km per year as I only commute a short distance to work. Over this distance, my horrible car coughs out a disgraceful 3165kg CO2.

But hang on... that's 225kg LESS than that pointless little Smart Car... yet I have to pay over 600% more tax!?

I'm gonna shut up now or I'll start digressing... council tax, income tax, tax on tax... [:@]

I just like to moan :p

Jul 10, 2007
Leeds
hmm your right there phil, maybe the G stands for something else on mine as this its only for cars over 225g/km registered after march 06

thing that annoys me is that if my car was 3 weeks older then it is, then I'd be in the old system of car tax and just paying £180

The whole concept of the road tax system annoys me.

We get slated for having high performance cars that meet all the EU regulations at the time they are built.

People who go on all day about the environment and are against buying new cars, pay less road tax (if any, as cars pre 1970 something are exempt) but emit far more pollution than we do.

I'm not against saving the environment, I'm all for it but just think the way people go about it is wrong.

If the Mrs had her way though, I'd be driving a Toyota Prius...

Hicks

Let's nuke 'em from orbit
Nov 26, 2002
Relocated Yorkshireman
Visit site
I have old brochures too ('03, '04 & '05) and the 1.8 20VT Cupra / FR is 204g/km :blink:

1.8 20V = 192g/km
1.8 20V Automatic = 214g/km
1.8 20V T = 204g/km
1.8 20V T (Cupra R) = 211g/km

Funny how people think they're saving the planet by buying utterly useless cars like a 0.7 litre Smart Car. Only 113g/km CO2, tax band B = £35 per year.

Compare this to my big, heavy, disgusting, massively polluting filth machine which coughs out an outrageous 211g/km CO2, tax band F = £205 per year. And damn right too, I'm killing the planet with my beast!

However... Mr. Save the Environment with his pointless little smart car uses his car every day and racks up 30,000km per year. Over this distance, Mr. Save the Environment has wafted out a miserly 3390kg CO2 in his lovely, environmentally friendly Smart Car.

I, on the other hand, with my heavy polluting filth machine, choking people and killing trees within a 10 mile radius of everywhere I go, only travel around 15,000km per year as I only commute a short distance to work. Over this distance, my horrible car coughs out a disgraceful 3165kg CO2.

But hang on... that's 225kg LESS than that pointless little Smart Car... yet I have to pay over 600% more tax!?

I'm gonna shut up now or I'll start digressing... council tax, income tax, tax on tax... [:@]

I just like to moan :p

:lol: Nice rant. Good point too. Sounds like you're in favour of pay per mile.
Now let's the council tax one going again.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.