Car Tax ---Leon Cupra

Orguss

Well road tax is no longer a tax to fix the roads as if you buy a 57plate Polo Blue motion, or like, with its 99g/km CO2 you’re in the new lowest tax band of £0.

The old cars being tax exempt was supposed to be because enough tax has been paid on behalf of that vehicle in its life.

777cupra

Jan 12, 2007
Buckinghamshire
Read somewhere and this was quite a few years ago, about the same level of pollution is emitted from a bus as 12 Volkswagen Polo's...

and buses dont go directly to where you want them to either...go on long routes to get to A-B, with like 3 people max on them most days! they should be charging buses much higher road tax.....12 x that of a polo lol

LiCkWiD

LiCkWiD EvOLuTiON
Nov 15, 2006
Essex
Carbon isn't driving climate change.

That is why I'm irritated by high tax on anything that emits Co2.

Where is the science?

Mar 26, 2007
S.Wales
I just worked out that 35% of my salary goes straight to the government in income tax, national insurance, council tax, road tax and fuel tax.

Thats BEFORE I pay my bills and buy anything like food and clothing which I will be paying an additional 17.5% on in tax to the government.....

Its just not worth thinking about!

InfernalBadger

Sep 6, 2006
Berkshire
I said to the lady on the phone at the DVLA "so what am I getting out of my £205" and she said "it's your road tax"....so I said "no I mean what does it go towards" and the reply was "the general up keep and maintenance of the roads"

You should phone her back and ask if cars like the Bluemotion Polo have some amazing new hover ability as their owners don't have to contribute towards the upkeep of the roads :D

Mar 26, 2007
S.Wales
I would not have ANY problem paying car tax if I felt that it was genuinely going towards road resurfacing/maintenance or improving public transport.

However, the roads are poor quality and badly congested and on the odd occasion I do use trains, quite frankly I find them a disgrace!

Simply put, I do not feel like I am getting ANYTHING for what I am paying out for.

Council tax is the same, £1000 CT for my house and all we get is a rubbish collection once every two weeks. My council does run a recycling scheme but oh wait, we have not got a recycling bin because although we have asked, the council has not delivered one! What excellent customer service the british consumer gets from their government!

For the most part I completely disagree with the welfare state in this country as although it helps a few genuine cases of people who actually are not able to better themselves, the majority of people it benefits are those who are too lazy to work. These same people constantly flout the law, be it on the roads or by conducting more obvious social crimes like burglary and assault and the government rewards them with cheap housing and handouts!

It's wrong! and the sooner I can convince the missus to move abroad I'm off. Other, far less wealthy countries provide wonderful services to their citizens and at far less cost to the average tax payer so why can't ours??

Rant over.......for now! :)

Jul 10, 2007
Leeds
Council tax is the same, £1000 CT for my house and all we get is a rubbish collection once every two weeks. My council does run a recycling scheme but oh wait, we have not got a recycling bin because although we have asked, the council has not delivered one! What excellent customer service the british consumer gets from their government!
QUOTE]

Bins emptied...:think: we're lucky if we even get that, the council keep forgetting to do ours. They're supposed to come every week but didn't turn up for 3 weeks once and couldn't care less. I said "so what I am paying council tax for and I want to stop paying it until you pick up the bins" they turned round and said "stop paying your council tax if you want to but we'll prosecute you"

If we don't get what we pay for be it Council Tax or Road Tax, the government/council don't care, but as soon as we stop paying, they fine us.

Nothing we can do though I suppose apart from think ourselves lucky that we don't fall into band G and get totally hammered.

Hope they don't decide to change the banding and hammer us as well...

super cupra R

Diesel Power
Apr 23, 2006
Hampshire
If any one has just done their insurance re-newal then you will now notice that you pay an insurance premium tax, what is the :censored: is that for, are they now taxing us to insure our cars, isn't insurance expensive enough without adding to it.

daveyonthemove

Smile if you like SEAT's
May 14, 2006
Wrexham
Congestion charge is another beauty!
You could fill the city of london with big 4x4 Hybrid cars and they pay NOTHING as they are hybrid. So running a car on batterys reduces CONGESTION? I think not. They are bigger and more likely to cause congestion, compared to a city full of VW Polos os a car that size.
Ken Livingstone got his words muddled up, he meant EMMISIONS charge, so why does a small hatch pay the same as a Rangerover HSE?

Malice19

.:Cupra 4 The Win:.
Mar 16, 2006
Swindon
Just came across this thread and thought i would post an update as my car tax is due next month at a grand total of £305..:censored:. Now paying more in TAX and insurance than the cars worth. Shame as this is the only Bugbear of keeping this car.

CaptainProne

Aug 7, 2017
Bridport/Dorchester
Just came across this thread and thought i would post an update as my car tax is due next month at a grand total of £305..:censored:. Now paying more in TAX and insurance than the cars worth. Shame as this is the only Bugbear of keeping this car.

I was also shocked when I had to pay this out a couple months ago! I'm 22, and with the cost of insurance for me I'm definitely paying well over £1000 per year just to be allowed to drive it! Mentioned it to my dad and I'm sure he reckoned his Porsche was cheaper to tax. Mental!!! Don't want to get rid though, praying insurance has a nice drop in January when I've been driving for 4 years.:shrug:

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.