Coilovers On Leon - Constant Scrubbing??

pauldredge

Oct 4, 2009
Right i fitted coilovers to my leon tdi 150 at the weekend and ive had a bit of a problem with rubbing.

The wheel keeps catching the top of the arch on the passengers side. Put it up higher and its not to bad but dont really wanna put it up any higher as it will probably be nearer standard height.

Im going to get some 5mm spacers to put on in hope that it might bring the tyre a bit away from the arch as its catching at the top on the inner side.

I know its not to lower as people have theirs lower on here. So was wondering what youve done to the arch to make it that low? Ive even taken the arch lining out but that made no difference at all.

Ruddmeister

Everything in Moderation
Jun 23, 2003
Weston-super-Mare
en.wikipedia.org
Won't spacers exaggerate your problem?

You could look at cutting away the inner arch / liner or rolling the arch's both of which can be done by a body shop, only normally considered worth doing on really low cars

paulreadge said:
Put it up higher and its not to bad but dont really wanna put it up any higher as it will probably be nearer standard height.

Really? doesn't sound right to me??

Last edited:

pauldredge

Oct 4, 2009
Well i thought spacers would bring the wheel away from the inner arch preventing as much scrubbing. Thought about getting the arch hammered out but didnt think everyone who owns a low leon would of done that to theirs.

pic as requested.

lowleon.jpg

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
You're not talking about the metal arch that we're all thinking is the problem, you're talking about the plastic liner aren't you? :)

Then again, I've just reread your post and you've said you've removed the liner with no difference. This might be silly, but could you take a pic of where it's rubbing? I thought there was a fair few inches of fresh air above the liner.

Have you got particularly wide tyres perhaps? Or even the wrong offset wheels? It might just be a trick of the light, but your rear wheel seems to be a bit further in than others I've seen?

pauldredge

Oct 4, 2009
tyres on the car are 225/45.... standard size isnt it? Thought it might need 40s instead of 45s but newish tyres really.

The rear is lowered than the front... as low as it will go but it doesnt scrub at all. Yeah im on about where the plastic liner is... its right on the inside so as in the engine side. Wheels are completely standard but am do need a better offset as they are really close to the strut. Which is why i was thinking spacers might solver my problem?

As for taking a pic i cant righ now but found this pic and where the rubbing is on here is similar place to mine.

IMG_0448-vi.jpg

james walker

cooling is the key people
May 24, 2007
retford notts
Well i thought spacers would bring the wheel away from the inner arch preventing as much scrubbing. Thought about getting the arch hammered out but didnt think everyone who owns a low leon would of done that to theirs.

pic as requested.

lowleon.jpg

that is very low mate, no wonder its scrubbing... id raise the height on that tbh, itl handle better aswell

james walker

May 24, 2007
retford notts
can i just ask why you want to go so low... your wishbone angle will be horrible at that height??

if the wheel is catching the arch liner then it is too low, if its catching the strut then its the coilovers and will need spacing.

if its a tdi fr150 then watch the sump if going lower

pauldredge

Oct 4, 2009
For air im looking at 1k or more... would of loved that that haha!

Gonna pop on some spacers to move it away from the strut and am thinking of changing the tyres to 40 profile and width to 205?

Its just a TDi 150 and not the FR version :(

pauldredge

Oct 4, 2009
Oh forgot to say i set them up. The front are just about the same... need a little playing with. As for the rears it sits lower on the rear than the front atm.

james walker

May 24, 2007
retford notts
For air im looking at 1k or more... would of loved that that haha!

Gonna pop on some spacers to move it away from the strut and am thinking of changing the tyres to 40 profile and width to 205?

Its just a TDi 150 and not the FR version :(

really shouldnt need to change tyres or fit spacers tbh mate... you may find it just needs raising a few mm to clear the liner

is it actually catching the strut?

for tyres and spacers your looking at 400quid, i know what id be doing tbh[B)]

pauldredge

Oct 4, 2009
It was catching the strut when i had it as low as i wanted it. Not i dont think it is. Gonna raise it up a few mm tonight and hope that sorts out the rubbing problem on the arch.

Then gotta find a way to make the car lower :p

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.