Engine holding back and rev limiter cutting in at 5k

Greasemonkey

Apr 27, 2008
Hull
Hey guys having more problems with the cupra. For the people who don't know its a t reg 2ltr 8v cupra gti. During a service i've done on the car before it properly going on the road its had the cam belt,plugs,leads,rotor arm,dizzy cap,catalyst converter,lambda sensor replaced (to eliminate possible surgestions).
Well the car starts fine and constantly runs on four cylinders, if i use light throttle it pulls fine but limits at 5k, now if i give it half or full throttle the engine heavily holds back-like its being restricted. I disconnected the maf sensor but it didn't seem to run any different (i know its no the best test to do). Please please help! i think its vag com time but any ideas i'd really appreciate it. Thanks all, Paul

Greasemonkey

Apr 27, 2008
Hull
Hmm really! I was definately sure the timing was fine. When i changed the belt someone had been there before and set the dizzy cam at 3 o clock rather than 12 o clock - (so messed up the firing order) Tbh i'm not 100% sure it is that but at the weekend i'll recheck it anyway because its good advice. Also

GTV - How do you check the MAF?

Cheers guys

Greasemonkey

Apr 27, 2008
Hull
Erm just thought, i think you guys are meaning the ignition timing out and not the actual engine timing! Sorry guys a little slow! :p I'll have it checked out and let you know how i get on, cheers guys great advice!!

Paul

rich.h44

Its a secret!!!!
Aug 31, 2007
hull
oright mate hows it going?still not seen your beast!is it on the road yet and have you got it sorted?

Greasemonkey

Apr 27, 2008
Hull
Hi Rich :), cars been a nightmare, honestly wish i'd never bought it. Got it through its mot after spending too much time and money on it and found out it had no gearbox oil in it so i destroyed the differential bearings driving it to the mot station. Found a 2nd hand gearbox so put that in at home only to find the clutch starting to slip. Bought a new clutch cable and all is well again but it was the first time i realised i had a problem (hence the post) last weekend when i drove it after the box change.

Update guys, borrowed a snap on code reader. Keeps coming up with code 00515 Hall sensor -g40 Signal outside tolerance. Cars going to a friend garage on friday hopefully and put on the rollers to set the ignition timing up as i'm sure thats the problem causing the code. Not bothering with a power output while its on the rollers, i just want it drivable!!! :cry:

Paul

rich.h44

Its a secret!!!!
Aug 31, 2007
hull
Jesus what a nightmare you have had,theres a vag-com section in here that has all the codes!whos rollers you going!hope it get it sorted and running well!try sneaking a power run in if you get running!

Greasemonkey

Apr 27, 2008
Hull
Yeah i thought about seeing what its got but to be honest rich i've lost interest in the car due to the amount of time and mainly money i've had to throw at it. Worst thing is if i sell it i don't think i'll make any money on it :(

The intention was to track it but situations have changed so once its running as it should it will be up forsale. As for the rollers i don't want to thrash the arse off it so i'll probably not bother with a power run. Going to take the dizzy off and have a look, i reckon someones had it out and not known where it should be refitted and so the ignition is too far out of tolerance for the ecu to make adjustments so logging the code. I'll let you know how i get on.

Paul

robreidmotors

RobReid
May 10, 2008
Lancashire
Hi mate

Had exactly the same issue on my 2.0 8v, please read this carefully it should solve your problem (i think!)

Firstly, which I think you have already done, you need to make sure all the timing marks are lined up properly, which they probably are as it seems to be running ok and not exploding the engine.

The trick, and the important bit is this next bit.

When you remove the dizzy cap the rotor arm needs to be pointing to the mark on the dizzy when the engine is TDC, HOWEVER, and this is the thing, the distributor itself needs to be in the right position ie aligned properly when clamped to the engine, if not you will get the 5k issue.

this is how to check;

1. Set engine at TDC
2. Undo the dizzy clamp and remove the distributor.
3. inside that hole you will see at the bottom a circular bit with a ledge on it, this HAS to point diagonally towards the bolt hole for the clamp. Ie similar to this symbol \
4. When putting the distributor back in make sure the rotor is spot on with the mark on the distributor, to fit the distributor back in can be fiddly, but roughly it should mate properly if you face the electrical connector over the clamp hole.
5. recheck above if still same problem.

The reason for this is that the distributor has its own pulley set in the timing, and if it is not set up properly i think it throws a wobbly! and the 5k kicks in to protect the engine.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.