Lack of boost 2.0 TFSI Sport

SimonC82

Jun 12, 2015
Hello all, firstpost here.

I seem to have an issue where there is a lack of boost, I have a stage 1 remapped TFSI Sport.

Bit of background I had the car remapped & had a new piston type diverter valve installed and all was good until a couple of days later I had 2 ignition coils go. Unfortunately I had to drive back home (35 miles) with this issue which may have damaged the cat, can anyone confirm if this can happen?

So I had this issue fixed with a set of 4 ignition coils & spark plugs but ever since the emissions light has been on & gives the following code (has been cleared many times but comes back on)

VAGCOM code
001056 - Catalyst System; Bank 1
P0420 - 002 - Efficiency Below Threshold - MIL ON
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 11100010
Fault Priority: 0
Fault Frequency: 1
Reset counter: 255
Mileage: 124483 km
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2000.00.00
Time: 12:14:23

Freeze Frame:
RPM: 2288 /min
Load: 27.0 %
Speed: 88.0 km/h
Temperature: 59.0°C
Temperature: 13.0°C
Absolute Pres.: 1010.0 mbar
Voltage: 14.605 V

I've also had the wastegate actuator rod snap which has also been fixed, so on to the latest issue.

I had a hole in my downpipe which I had welded up, however since this repair has been carried out my car has a lack of boost. The garage did mention thay my cat was rattling and may be on it's way out.

My question is can a damaged cat cause a lack of boost and would this be likely to happen as before the downpipe was welded up it seemed to have plenty of boost?

Also what are my options with regards to having a new cat/sports cat? Would a high flow sports cat need a stage 2 remap or not?

Thanks in advance
Simon

Londy

Dec 29, 2014
Check actuator arm for the varible vanes on the turbo still moves freely. Especially if someones been working round there on the down pipe, they do also stick and rquire cleaning somethimes but thats more on the diesel .

SimonC82

Jun 12, 2015
Thanks for the replies, I've purchased this a stainless steel downpipe & 200 cell sports cat for £179 with extra discounts applied (usually £280). Not sure how good the quality is but I certainly didn't fancy spending £600 on a Milltek for it not to fix the problem.
It should be here tomorrow & fitted on Thursday/Friday so I should know if the cat was the issue by then. If not I'll take a look at the wastegate actuator.

KebabWarrior81

Nov 4, 2013
Sandbach,Cheshire

SimonC82

Jun 12, 2015
So I had the sports cat fitted today & it's like a different car, it's way faster than it was when I first had it remapped.

I had a look at the old cat and the pre-cat was completely gone so that must've broken up and blocked the main cat hence why I wasn't getting much boost.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise