lcr bottom ball joints

Mat138L

Nov 2, 2005
halifax
Just fitted 2 new goodyear eagle f1s :happy: and new pads to my car today all i can say is the tyres are great and look great.When it came to putting my wheels back on i noticed that there was a bit of play in the nsf bottom ball joint, the car has only done 14000 miles just wanted to know if its a common prob on the lcr or not :confused:.Got the car booked in on tuesday for it sorting out under warranty i hope.

Mitchy

TTRS
Oct 12, 2004
My LCR turned 3 years old last week so i had to get an MOT done and it failed on the drivers side ball joint!

For the past 6 months it always made a clunk when i drove onto my drive or over a speed hump but i just left it!

It was a bit of a pain in the arse to locate the part aswell. I twice got sent a normal seat leon ball joint. The LCR joint is bigger.

It didnt need a retest, as soon as it was fitted i got the MOT certificate.

However watch out if they replace it, i got my car back and the steering wheel was slightly off centre. If i straightened the wheel to the centre position the car would veer off to the right! I took it back, they made an adjustment and all is fine now, thank god! :D

Your car will be approaching 3 years old soon so i doubt they'll do it under warranty. Its wear and tear! It is a worn ball joint after all.

I do think this is a common fault after doing a few searches, a lot of people complain of front end knocking.

Mat138L

Nov 2, 2005
halifax
when i rang them they said that it comes under warranty as its suspension and not wear and tear.Just had i thought when i first got the car the steering was out and i took it back and they sorted it so maybe they upset the car when they sorted it out.

Mitchy

TTRS
Oct 12, 2004
Suspension surely is wear and tear though :shrug:

The ball joint has movement in it because it is worn, nothing else. How else would it move?

14000 miles though :confused: Can your mileage be confirmed as 14k is very low for a near 3yr old car.

Oh well at least they'll do it under warranty for you though.:D

When the steering is out they normally adjust the track rods, they shouldnt have touched the ball joint! However if the ball joint has been removed it loses its central position and thats why i had problems with the steering afterwards.

When they replace it, ask if they can take it for a test run afterwards to check the steering is central!

Last edited:

paul h

Dec 22, 2005
Lincoln
ball joints are warranty items.they should easily last a good 5 years.problem i think with the LCR is the weight of the thing and stress put on them by the power of the engine

Mat138L

Nov 2, 2005
halifax
Mitchy said:
Suspension surely is wear and tear though :shrug:

The ball joint has movement in it because it is worn, nothing else. How else would it move?

14000 miles though :confused: Can your mileage be confirmed as 14k is very low for a near 3yr old car.

yes the last owner was an old guy who never used the car and he only clocked up 7000 miles in 2 years that why i bought it.

Mitchy

TTRS
Oct 12, 2004
I just had a service done in march by SEAT in York, i was surprised they didn't pick it up. If i had known it was a warranty job i would have taken it in just before my warranty expired last week:(

Didnt know what the clunking was down to at that point though:(

Does your car make a clunking noise when going into a driveway or over a speed bump?

Mat138L

Nov 2, 2005
halifax
Mitchy said:
I just had a service done in march by SEAT in York, i was surprised they didn't pick it up. If i had known it was a warranty job i would have taken it in just before my warranty expired last week:(

Didnt know what the clunking was down to at that point though:(

Does your car make a clunking noise when going into a driveway or over a speed bump?

only time i have heard it clunk is when going down a cobbled road and you can hear a knock.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members