LCR - Coilovers ....

Gravesie-363

LCR 225
Aug 4, 2009
Darlington
Alright guys,

When i first got my LCR i decided that i was going to keep it standard, that went out the window within the first few days tbh!

Now im looking at getting some coilovers ....

I looked on eBay and found some Jamex coilovers .... are these any good, they are around £350 delivered which is putting me off tbh. Im not looking to any track days to be totally honest, just looking for the stance really.

Also seen some Spax RSX for around £450 delivered, but they mention that you need to modifying the ARB ?

Can anyone confirm and also just give me some general info on coilovers please :)

andycupra

status subject to change
all i would say is be wary buying on ebay.. both interms of returns in case of issue and also regards genuine products.

Are you planning on fitting yourself? as if not, you may find a supply and fit price with geometry adjustment may work out competitive rather than paying out for fitment seperately,.

and then there is the argument over getting coilovers or just a good spring / shock set up...

Last edited:

james walker

cooling is the key people
May 24, 2007
retford notts
jamex are budget tbh, and spax are proven harsh on the road.

id be saving a little more for the likes of weitec etc.

or just go shocks and springs.

search on here on coilovers

JamJay

California Bound
All coilovers are able to give a car a nice stance but it's the build quality, spring rates and damping stiffness that are what matters. As far as I know, Jamex are bargain basement equipment and from my experience, I'd stay away from cheap kit, you tend to get what you pay for when it comes to car modifications.

However, I have no experience with Jamex but I doubt that they are corrosion resistant, they probably have overly stiff springs fitted and as they won't be damping adjustable, the ride & rebound will be quite harsh.

Personally i'd be looking at better for your LCR, try WEITEC HICON GT coilovers, roughly £450 from DPM Performance and they get rave reviews.

james walker

cooling is the key people
May 24, 2007
retford notts
just check whichever you go for are lcr fitment, not leon specific, as the arb mounts on the shocks on lcr and on the wishbones on leon cupra and mk4 platform

DamianPM

Mar 26, 2008
Newcastle/Durham
I'd say go for the AP or Weitec if your wanting coilovers.

If you just want a spring and shock kit then think about the Weitec 40mm or 50mm/40mm kit.

All above options are very popular with other LCR owners and really good options.

Damian @ DPM Performance

DannyC87

Rubbing is Racing :-)
Mar 4, 2008
I'd say go for the AP or Weitec if your wanting coilovers.

If you just want a spring and shock kit then think about the Weitec 40mm or 50mm/40mm kit.

All above options are very popular with other LCR owners and really good options.

Damian @ DPM Performance

:yes: weitec coilovers on mine = brilliant for everyday use and track slagging :D

rsmith

Robbie
Apr 28, 2004
Tipperary, Ireland
Mate if you are just looking to lower the car Jamex will do the trick, i got a set off motorsport world about a year ago and i have not had one problem with them, this is the kit JX-150117.
I just wanted to lower the car(and have control over lowering/highering) and increase the damping over standard, i also put on a RARB and front strut brace with it an i am very happy with the results.

There are more expensive kits out there, but there is 0 point shelling our £500+ unless you are really going to get the use out of them.

DannyC87

Rubbing is Racing :-)
Mar 4, 2008
Mate if you are just looking to lower the car Jamex will do the trick, i got a set off motorsport world about a year ago and i have not had one problem with them, this is the kit JX-150117.
I just wanted to lower the car(and have control over lowering/highering) and increase the damping over standard, i also put on a RARB and front strut brace with it an i am very happy with the results.

There are more expensive kits out there, but there is 0 point shelling our £500+ unless you are really going to get the use out of them.

debatable.. I have found the slightly more expensive kits (weitec etc) to be more refined, ie; better damping, less harsh day to day, but still have the ability to perform well on track. A well set up coilover with the correct rebound and damping rates, and correct spring ratings will give a much improved handling set-up compared to a less well sorted cheaper kit IMO. But then I do drive alot of back lanes etc so a half-decent ride was important to me.

rsmith

Robbie
Apr 28, 2004
Tipperary, Ireland
Im not looking to any track days to be totally honest, just looking for the stance really.

debatable.. I have found the slightly more expensive kits (weitec etc) to be more refined, ie; better damping, less harsh day to day, but still have the ability to perform well on track. A well set up coilover with the correct rebound and damping rates, and correct spring ratings will give a much improved handling set-up compared to a less well sorted cheaper kit IMO. But then I do drive alot of back lanes etc so a half-decent ride was important to me.

He just wants to improve the stance as he said originally.If this is the case we should all be running KW Variant 3 Inox-Line Coilovers for £1,000+, i am sure damian can let us know how good they are;).Also dig around on the next some of the lower priced coilovers (for just lowering and improving damping) are getting great reviews.

Last edited:

Cupra R101

Sorry to thread jump here currently have set of Eibach lowering springs on my LCR
looking to change the dampers was thinking maybe Weitec 40mm Ultra Gt springs & shocks then selling my Eibachs?? what are anyones thoughts?? Weitec are bit cheaper than KW but made by same people
plan to go back to Nurburgring car was standard suspension last time went round!!
Already have Whitline 24mm rear ARB

Dan_lcr225

do you not have issues with the front splitter hittiing everything lowering a lcr? mines completely standard but still hits every bump or scuffs when going from steep hill to flat, im too worried to lower it.

Turf Burner 09

Jun 8, 2009
Carrickmore , NI
Thats on a very very small slope..
Car just about gets over speed bumps lol

P7143264.jpg

andycupra

status subject to change
do you not have issues with the front splitter hittiing everything lowering a lcr? mines completely standard but still hits every bump or scuffs when going from steep hill to flat, im too worried to lower it.

it depends on the circumstances, as many find the splitter grinds less after lowering as the suspension is stiffer meaning the nose drops less during braking and when going over speed bumps the suspension gives a little less so the front rises more quickly.

Where you could find its worse is low speed manouvers, multi storey car parks etc.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.