Leon Cupra Outer CV Joint removal / boot replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

DPJ

Dec 13, 2004
NN Yorks / Salento
www.seatcupra.net
Do you intend to work through every thread on this forum giving the benefit of your experience, Siren73, or is this a one off?

There are many threads where people has suffered badly at the hands of Vag garages.....

dholdi

Jul 3, 2008
Preston
Or maybe you arnt, if you were going to pull a ball bearing off a shaft with a puller would you apply the force to the inner race, which is located on the shaft or the outer thus transfering the force thru the outer race/bearings, cage etc to the inner ? A cv joint is essentially a ball bearing, albeit an articulated one. So therefore the most sensible way to remove it without damaging the internals would be to apply force to the inner race. Maybe the use of a socket extension is strictly not the right tool for the job, but sometimes you have to improvise.

siren73

No. a sharp tap on the housing is best. Housing stong, cage weak, like you're advice.

how many times do I have to say this is a good guide.

Last edited by a moderator:

DPJ

Dec 13, 2004
NN Yorks / Salento
www.seatcupra.net
Ok, some closing coments here.

Siren 73, You dredged up this thread after a year to insert the following comment....

Great work, I'm assuming you remebered to grease up the CV joint, otherwise it would have been a very short Road Test. ;)

Had you instead mentioned the issue of where the CV joint is struck, you might not be considered a troll. However you have plainly proceeded to prove that's what you are.

I believe that the advice to strike the outer casting of the CV joint is outdated and very much based on earlier joint designs. I concede it would be best advice to drift the inner race off the driveshaft using a softer implement, however, the inner race is hardened steel. I'd like to bet I could drift the same inner race over the clip as above a thousand times without doing any damage..... Far, far less force needs to be applied to the drifting tool when then applied to the inner race compared with striking the outer casting of the joint.

(When refitting the CV - do you strike it at its widest part........? No. )

More often than not, garages fit new CV joints rather than reboot - are they that concerned about damaging the old joint?

So there you have it - reader's choice. try my tip - and risk damage according to siren73, or do it the advised way. (and risk damage? :shrug:) I have added a caveat to step 5 above.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.