New Leon Headlights with Daytime Running LEDs

JayTse

A Natural Petrolhead....
Dec 4, 2008
Runcorn//Barnsley//Newcastle
hey guys...

sorry for the delay, been real busy since the start of the new year..

i'll start from beginning.. from my last few posts, i did say i order them in black, and it took them about 2 and a half weeks to come (got them on the 22nd Dec).... took their bloody time like!

i fristly noticed the build quality was ok, wasnt the best i've seen and it does look like they used some sticky waterproof sealant where the lens meets the back box. but anyways i wasnt really bothered as these would be hidden under the bonnet and from the outside at a distance, they do look awesome. they also came with chrome like indicators and 4 H1 bulbs which were already fitted in the light slots. please note that theres a warning sticker on these lights saying that they dont support HIDs.. theres also a resistor block mounted underneath the headlight for the LEDS which i guess, comes on with the side light switch.

so, over the xmas holidays, i decided it was the best time to fit them on (-3C) :lol: heres a quick run down of what i did,

first of all, if you have the aero kit, the bumper is quite easy to take off when you know how.. took me just about an hour to figure out how to take the damn thing off, all in all, you must unscrew:

6 screws on the insides of both the front wheel arch (it holds the inner arch lining to the bumper)
3 screws on both corners (underneath).
2 more screws in the center (underneath).

after unscrewing these, the bumper should come off by pulling on either side of where the bumper meets the wheel arch. they are held in by clips, so its easy to pull off.. you have to do this on both sides.

i made sure i had a large cloth down, so i could just lay the bumper down without disconnecting the fogs (clips are a real pain to unclip)

then after a few more screws and unplugging the main power lead, the original head lights just comes out. but i found out that, surrounding the metal screws, the light was screwed in with adjustable plastic brackets which i think they used to adjust how the light sits on the car (so it matches the bonnet line and wing line etc) i needed these as the oem lights didnt come with any.

so after a few minutes adjusting the mounting brackets, i managed to get the lights sitting well, just like the original headlights. then it was the case of getting the bumper back on before it got dark.

during the first few days, i did come across the problem where the LEDs would switch on for a couple of seconds, then switch off again.. meaning the resistor block wasnt working properly... but after a few days of thinking, i rememeber that the resistor block had one input and one output, both had plastic like gator grips.. so all i done was to reverse the connections and *bing* the LEDS worked!!

ok now, heres the bad points, as many of you already know, the lights are LHD... very noticeable when up close to something as the lights project an angular line like this ___/___/

not so noticable when driving around tho. plus all the signs do pick up the LEDs so they end up showing a slight tinge of blue.. which is cool :)

i ended up replacing the bulbs with the halford extreme H1 bulbs (the 90% brighter ones) and they do seem to be projecting a slight yellow light, even tho i had the same make bulbs in my old headlights, and they were pure white!..

i did do some tests by getting hold of some extreme blue bulbs, but the projection turn out a "mucky" colour which meant something is going on in the lens itself...

although theres one main power block which is literatly plug and play idea, there is another cable coming out of the new headlights (coloured black, red and white) which is according to the place i got these lights from, is for the (quote) "EHC-motor for your light height-regulation." to me i dont have a clue where the switch or plug for this connection is as the only thing i unplugged from the original headlight was the main block plug. so if anyone out there could give me a hint, i be more than greatful...

oh one last thing, dont jet wash the lights as i did to get rid of all the salt as these suffer from condesation too. not as bad or long lasting as the original headlights as i guess the air ventilation are good on these. they also cleared up fine after a few days, but im going to dry them other with some silica bags to make sure..

but these are minor in my eyes, all worth the look of it when they are switched on.. proper look the business and yeh its not to everyone tastes.. but i think they suit the aero kit down to the last LED!

sorry its been a long read, but i tried to explain my experiences with these for other peeps..:funk:

any questions, just give us a shout...

:)

FSiLeonMike

Barmy Army Reservist (TA)
Apr 26, 2007
Bury St Edmunds/Stowmarket-ish
They look shite........Audi lights for Audi, not a Seat!!!!!!

True, its and Audi thing, and some hi end Saabs are appearing with them.

But I ask, would we say they are **** if SEAT thought of them first?

From a practical point of veiw, they make you very visible, from some distance on dull days, without the need for using main headlights

Guess the safety aspect is a plus

JayTse

A Natural Petrolhead....
Dec 4, 2008

From a practical point of veiw, they make you very visible, from some distance on dull days, without the need for using main headlights

this is true on a note tho, as i have seen in car articles a while back (one being on pistonheads) that claim the day time running lights should be made as standard as you are more visible during day time hours.. dont get me wrong, i dont have them on all day, i only tend to have them on during cloudy or slightly misty dull days. then again they seem to work as their best on when daylight is heading towards night..

Yep one question, when are you getting pictures of them up? :)

I'll post some up next week bud, had problems with home pc and then the internet went down and im away this weekend..

so i'll get them up asap next week for you.. :)

sanchez

If Seat had thought of them first and put them on the Leon i would of never bought one...They just make the car look tacky and these light are going to end up the new lexus lights!!!!!:D

13snc

13SoNotCool
Jan 8, 2008
Croatia
www.seatclubcroatia.com
slika.php

slika.php

slika.php

farovi50.jpg

farovi40.jpg

farovi60.jpg

One guy from SeatClubCroatia fitted those...

they came without any resistors!! LED didn't work ofcourse.. resistors up... works..
on the box.. original DECTANE..

HIDS are H1 6000k

JayTse

A Natural Petrolhead....
Dec 4, 2008

they came without any resistors!! LED didn't work ofcourse.. resistors up... works..

HIDS are H1 6000k

awesome, saves me posting mine...

but saying that, when i got mine, it came with a resistor block which was stuck on the bottom of the lights.. strange..

Poverty

slika.php

slika.php

slika.php

farovi50.jpg

farovi40.jpg

farovi60.jpg

HIDS are H1 6000k

I like it, looks oem. Need to see pictures of the headlights when its a bit darker though!

Rael

TDi - Smokin'!
Jul 9, 2008
Gatwick
I think they look bloody awesome personally, and if I wasn't facing redundancy, I would order some. Sod the niggling issues, the look of them would more than make up for it.

One question though...what happens if an LED bulb goes? And if someone is tempted to say they never go, I have a group pf LED's in my kitchen light fitting, and 2 have gone in less than a year.

JayTse

A Natural Petrolhead....
Dec 4, 2008
I think they look bloody awesome personally, and if I wasn't facing redundancy, I would order some. Sod the niggling issues, the look of them would more than make up for it.

One question though...what happens if an LED bulb goes? And if someone is tempted to say they never go, I have a group pf LED's in my kitchen light fitting, and 2 have gone in less than a year.

no comment :p :whistle:

I think they look great too - the only probelm for me is that they too mist up inside...mine do that now anyway, wouldn't want to spend money & have the same thing happen.

i must say the only time mine have steamed up was when i used the jet washer to rinse the salt off... so after some sun baking and silica gel treatment, it havent steam up again.. dont quote me on that as only time will tell...

and i can say they are very bright at night, i'll post a pic i have when i get home tonight..

Poverty

I couldnt get a picture head on as the LEDs was far too bright for my camera to handle..

but here it is anyways..

in the thumbnail it looked ok. once i englarged the image though, its looks great. think i will get some.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.