PD130 Sport - 312mm Brake

slimbarry

Hands off!
Oct 29, 2004
Norf Essex
spaniels fr said:
I had my tt 312's fitted yesterday and have bedded them in already. The difference between the standard ones and these are massive. The pedal is much harder, stops so much quicker with out yamming your foot down and hardley any abs kicking in which is a plus as before they used to kick in so early.
All i can say is its a cheeper comprimise than haveing Brembo's but well worth it. :D

That's re assuring to hear. Might well do it! :thumbup:
Where did you buy your's from, Golfturbo?

A mate from the Scooby side says many of them also recomend Mintex 1144 pads which out perform OEM ones when the going gets hot, much improvement when they are glowing. I have found that I am pressing and getting nothing after they have had a hammering.... :(

slimbarry

Hands off!
Oct 29, 2004
Norf Essex
From what I can see on the Mintex website, the pads are the same for the Audi TT 1.8t and the Seat Leon FR 1.8t or 1.9tdi except for maybe if its with or without the wear indicator, other wise the pad is the same...

MDB2041 with wear indicator
&
MDB1741 without wear indicator

Anyone know?... :confused:

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
spaniels fr said:
I had my tt 312's fitted yesterday and have bedded them in already. The difference between the standard ones and these are massive. The pedal is much harder, stops so much quicker with out yamming your foot down and hardley any abs kicking in which is a plus as before they used to kick in so early.
All i can say is its a cheeper comprimise than haveing Brembo's but well worth it. :D
Good aren't they :)

Just watch out if you have to brake mid-bend, they make it even more likely that the back end will let go :blink:

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
I see you've got ESP like me; I reckon the back could break away quick enough without the ESP catching it....

golfturbo

muddyboots said:
I see you've got ESP like me; I reckon the back could break away quick enough without the ESP catching it....

Don't quote me guys, but you should fine after a few hundred miles the "processor" or whatever it's called adjusts the ESP/ABS etc after it has worked out what has changed. I know a few people with the Furby VRs have commented on this and have found it to get better with use.

Or maybe it's just the driver tat gets used the charactaristics of the car?

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
Not sure, have never (and wouldn't want to) pushed it that far that the ESP has to catch the back...

But I've deliberately dabbed the brakes at speed on some bends to see what it feels like, and it's very scary, you can feel the whole mass of the rear of the car going light and flying sideways. If I had to brake *hard* at speed in a bend (yes, which is a situation I know you shouldn't get into in the first place) it'll start trying to spin with such speed and momentum I'd be very suprised if the ESP would catch it.
It was always like this with the original brakes, but with the improved braking power at the front it's much more noticeable.

Wizardtm

muddyboots said:
Not sure, have never (and wouldn't want to) pushed it that far that the ESP has to catch the back...

But I've deliberately dabbed the brakes at speed on some bends to see what it feels like, and it's very scary, you can feel the whole mass of the rear of the car going light and flying sideways. If I had to brake *hard* at speed in a bend (yes, which is a situation I know you shouldn't get into in the first place) it'll start trying to spin with such speed and momentum I'd be very suprised if the ESP would catch it.
It was always like this with the original brakes, but with the improved braking power at the front it's much more noticeable.

I will get my TT 312mm brakes fitted tomorrow, just can't wait to have more breaking-powerrrrr :funk:

Isn't it possible to improve the rear brakes also to prevent the car from spinning ? :confused: Perhaps mount the 288mm front brakes on the rear ? (or is this a stupid idea :blink: )

BlackCupraa

2.0 BOOST
Sep 18, 2004
Chesterfield
Yes as the stopping power on the back of the car would be so immense you would need to have a brake balance controller fitted otherwise it would be just like pulling up the handbrake at every opportunity

Not good at all

Wizardtm

BlackCupraa said:
Yes as the stopping power on the back of the car would be so immense you would need to have a brake balance controller fitted otherwise it would be just like pulling up the handbrake at every opportunity

Not good at all

Ok, it was just a idea.... but unfortunately a bad idea :cry:
I know that in the seat ibiza cupra cup (in the netherlands) they use improved brakes, also at the rear. But what type these brakes are I don't know.

For now the front brake upgrade should be enough ! Can't wait untill tomorrow.

stoneyfordNI

GGG GGG GGGIGITYYY
Jan 9, 2005
Lisburn NI
the 225 and v6 TT use a 256mm vented rear disc i believe same as S3 , these could be fitted in theory , i believe vagtech can offer this cos if u source the rear calipers from a 4 wheel drive car (s3 TT quattro etc) a special 6mm shim has to be used , also the debris sheild needs modified at least , or swapped to suit the bigger disc and if i remeber correctly from my own experience u would have to remove the rear hubs and bearings , so its a big one to do yourself, plus as said b4 u would need something to control the bias , would be nigh on ultimate breaking tho

golfturbo

stoneyfordNI said:
the 225 and v6 TT use a 256mm vented rear disc i believe same as S3 , these could be fitted in theory , i believe vagtech can offer this cos if u source the rear calipers from a 4 wheel drive car (s3 TT quattro etc) a special 6mm shim has to be used , also the debris sheild needs modified at least , or swapped to suit the bigger disc and if i remeber correctly from my own experience u would have to remove the rear hubs and bearings , so its a big one to do yourself, plus as said b4 u would need something to control the bias , would be nigh on ultimate breaking tho

It is possible!

I have a fitting gide for a rear brake conversion if anyone is interested PM me your e-mail addy and I'll send it through. The guide is based on a MK4 Golf but all vehicles are pretty similar in the VAG family! :)

I'm not able to supply parts for this conversion unfortunately.

Cheers

techie

Skoda Techie
Mar 22, 2003
Worcs
I tried to fit TT vented rear brakes to my Fabia. And after modding the heat shield and using the MK4 Golf adapters to convert 4WD to 2WD the calipers fouled the disc at the edge so was considered a no go.

With the Brembos up front didnt need them anyhow.

Wizardtm

Yes they fit with 16" alloys. Not much space left, but they do fit.

Marky P

Thanks Wizardtm.

I should have really looked at where this thread was located!

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.