TMC Not Working

Jun 5, 2023
Hi Everyone,
Recently got a Mk3.5 Leon. It came without the SD Card for Nav, so I purchased one online.
The maps work fine however TMC isn't working. The traffic page shows no reports, and TMC has a line through it.
FM radio works and I think RDS is enabled.
Any suggestions on what I can do?
SD card is from SatNavWorld.com

Cheers

sandancer

May 20, 2014
It's nothing to do with the system in your car, it's Trafficmaster have turned the signal off at their end. Have a read of the posting on Briskoda - it's not good news I'm afraid

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
They have been discussing this RDS-TMC over FM vs the feasibility of moving TMC to DAB for years ( 2011 I believe )
despite DAB radios being fitted to most cars for years - TMC is still received via FM on these units.

There is an overall push to switch radio stations to DAB rather than FM.
This now means far less channels to support the RDS-TMC

TPEG ( DAB-TMC ) was supposed to be fully live by 2020 - however - the millions of head units fitted to cars don't know what to do with a TPEG signal.

QUOTE :
The EU ITS Directive requires UK Government to ensure traffic information reaches drivers and TMC is used globally as the core of this.

However - now we are out of the EU - I guess this is one directive our clowns will choose to ignore.

Reactions: Butty and Tell

Tell

Staff member
I've been working with those guys on the Briskoda thread to get a DIY solution seeding some links. Needs the youngsters 🤔.... We just get the credit in directing the youngsters with ideas.

Pcbbc got the fix on Friday for the mib2 high (Seat Plus) I tested it then.

It tumbled out of the Audi TT board for the online unit and tracking our 15 code parameter which is the offline code used revealed 14 was the answer. A simple Obdeleven / VCDS coding fix to get the mib2 high units working again. I'd been putting off looking at that code but I knew it was a controlling one where @Walone got his unit sent back from a retrofitter with that field incorrectly set a few years back so I checked the factory set one. Fed that code back Pcbbc they then found the code group we required for the offline maps to bump it onto the provider that is still broadcasting TMC in the UK.

So the correction for the mib2 high is as tabled by Pcbbc:

32783 is online traffic permitted + Trafficmaster RDS TMC
32782 is online traffic permitted + ITIS/INRIX RDS TMC

15 is no online traffic, Trafficmaster RDS TMC
14 is no online traffic, ITIS/INRIX RDS TMC

It's subsequently transpired that some unit set with online traffic and TMC (none of Seat cars in mib2 high form were sold with this) had a code other than 32783. The code represents a bank of online and TMC providers in the world, a mix. The solution to test thou where you see xxxxx is to change to 32782.

That's good for all mib2 highs.

There is a solution for the mib2 standard (map card based system) but waiting for that to be documented, Bigade1 has that fix over there. That one only works with older Here Maps mib2 standard before they switched to TomTom maps. That fix currently needs the mib2 standard tool kit or box that their doesn't seem to be a great deal of experience on the Seat board. Await that one. Need guinea pigs.

The use of the 14 code for the TMC group has been reported to be the fix with mib1. Thus if you have a coding tool, Obdeleven Pro, VCDS look for the TMC group and if 15, change to 14. At this stage only the mib2 standard units do not have an easy fix.

----

On Mib2 high Mr Bonk and associates have documented the TMC id's used across the world and appears in this post:

You find posts on the net of people struggling to get TMC working for mib2 high in assorted parts of the world. The answers are all in the tables above for anyone tumbling into the thread from other countries.

They can be found in coded form in

Mib2\NavDB\mapStyles_eu\0\default\x\navigation_styles_XX_EU.iso and look in folder Ti for file paytmc.json

& that's where Pcbbc found the solution (belt and braces approach of looking at the code). Mr Bonk forum link on github documented them in table form. One of their missions to document MIB. I came across that post which explains why people on posts were failing to get Traffic Master in the UK working with the wrong Id's in the past. But that's history now in anycase. It is / was a retrofitters thorn to get the ID code correct.

Last edited:
Reactions: Walone

H Rafiq

Jan 5, 2022
It seems that the coding change is the solution to mib1 standard. 15 to 14 if someone wants to try. Probably mib1 high if that was ever fitted on Seat ?. So mib2 standard is the one that's not published with a how to yet.
How can I fix this issue on MIB1? 2015 Leon.

Tell

Staff member
How can I fix this issue on MIB1? 2015 Leon.
Well your IP address puts you in America. If however you were in the UK it's been said a similar solution to the mib2 high works for the mib1 standard. You put the TMC id to 14 rather than 15 using Obdeleven, VCDS etc. Worth a try if equipped.

The mib2 high screens but it's said you do the same. In Obdeleven Pro it's in the 5f menu under Adaptions you search under tmc as a keyword. Pick the line and if it's set to 15 change to 14. Save, reboot, long press on the on / off and test.

H Rafiq

Jan 5, 2022
Well your IP address puts you in America. If however you were in the UK it's been said a similar solution to the mib2 high works for the mib1 standard. You put the TMC id to 14 rather than 15 using Obdeleven, VCDS etc. Worth a try if equipped.

The mib2 high screens but it's said you do the same. In Obdeleven Pro it's in the 5f menu under Adaptions you search under tmc as a keyword. Pick the line and if it's set to 15 change to 14. Save, reboot, long press on the on / off and test.

I have OBDeleven, but not the Pro, so don’t think I can do it. And I am in the UK.

Tell

Staff member
It's been fixed for the mib2 high, I've got that working as above need Obdeleven or VCDS. For the mib2 standard there is a fix using V12 maps, editing modules and coding. Due building work I haven't been able to run obdeleven since the car is hemmed in the garage on that car. What we can say you need to do some coding whether mib2 high or mib2 standard. Briskoda people have done the 1-3 of the mib2 standard fix but they don't have Obdeleven or VCDS so they have not completed stage 4.

Will report back if I get the mib2 standard fix working. On that one if it works you can run with two SD cards and slot the latest maps in if not bothered about tmc, or the version 12 maps with tmc if it work. The high unit will work with the latest maps.

Reactions: ched60

Tell

Staff member
Right I've now got it working on a mib2 standard as well:

You can run with a two card solution and decide whether you want the latest maps or old maps with TMC. The choice is yours. Uses the alternative UK TMC provider Inrix.

Tell

Staff member
Since that post above the programmer has written the code now to have it working on a mib2 standard without the need for VCDS / Obdeleven using the default 5f TMC code (15) so it swaps from Traffic Master RDS to Inrix using V12 maps and updating some modules in the map file. Drag and drop. I've tested it and it works so amended the linked post above. Apparently recoding the TMC code to 1023 brings in more TMC information when abroad. Not sure which countries thou. It's how the files are indexed. The guy has a way of reading and decrypting the files then repackges them up again in compiled form. Github routine whilst the mib2 high one's are indexed via the TMC 5f code, 15 goes to 14 that unlocks Inrix. That 5 digit code for cars with connected services but not Seat. So you can wiggle the codes via Obdeleven / VCDS for the high to get it to work and will work on latest maps, whilst for mib2 standard you use v12 maps and the amended modules without Obdeleven / VCDS coding.

All covered in the links above.

Can someone clarify for me? I *think* I have MIB2 standard- how do I tell the units apart? (I have a 2018 Leon FR Technology, and the head unit has Android Auto/Carplay).

Code:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Address 5F: Information Electr.
Control Module Part Number: 5QA 035 874
  Component and/or Version: MU-S-ND-ER    H41 0468
           Software Coding: 04738001FF0A000011110101008908002F0101E601200400C6
            Work Shop Code: WSC 02391
                      VCID: 025D866C6487488A19F-8056

Advanced Identification/FAZIT
     Serial number: SEZAZ2U021xxxx
     Identification: YD5-001
     Date: 11.01.18
     Manufacturer number: 0035
     Test stand number: 0521

I originally had to buy an SD card with v14 maps, as the car didn't come with it, and this was all fine, with working TMC, until Trafficmaster stopped broadcasting, by the looks of things.

I now have latest maps on another card, but if I'm reading this right, assuming I have MIB2 standard, to get INRIX TMC to work, I would need to both downgrade the maps to V12, and either use the files linked to above, or change the TMC adaption to 15, is that correct- that I cannot run the map version I have, and have TMC?

I know TMC isn't all that, but it annoys me that the feature is there but not working, and I like having it integrated, rather than using a phone with a cable.

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
Can someone clarify for me? I *think* I have MIB2 standard- how do I tell the units apart? (I have a 2018 Leon FR Technology, and the head unit has Android Auto/Carplay).

Code:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I originally had to buy an SD card with v14 maps, as the car didn't come with it, and this was all fine, with working TMC, until Trafficmaster stopped broadcasting, by the looks of things.

I now have latest maps on another card, but if I'm reading this right, assuming I have MIB2 standard, to get INRIX TMC to work, I would need to both downgrade the maps to V12, and either use the files linked to above, or change the TMC adaption to 15, is that correct- that I cannot run the map version I have, and have TMC?

I know TMC isn't all that, but it annoys me that the feature is there but not working, and I like having it integrated, rather than using a phone with a cable.
TBH - with android auto / apple carplay available to you - I would forget the built in nav and tmc.
Google maps and Waze are way better for traffic info.

Tell

Staff member

Code:

That's Mib2 standard since its map card based so that one is out of the way. You need a copy of V12 on the Vag SD card (you can use a second Vag card if you can't make up your mind whether your need for traffic reports is greater than new maps).

You have to use V12 maps since after that release Inrix was dropped from the cards as the cartography moved from Here Maps to TomTom so whoever processes the files for Vag dropped the Inrix support although it wasn't being used, it was just there but could be configured. All the symbols etc have to be supported, so that's missing from anything above V12.

Australians who discovered the adaption of V12 to their local TMC whilst this was taken a step further by two Briskoda posters, one using the Australian method which involved the mib2 standard toolkit and VCDS coding to adjust the files, the other recompiled the files to streamline it to make it plug and play, no standard mib2 toolbox or VCDS coding required. They had a subroutine to read the files and write them out again.

Just download the V12 maps and a simple overwrite file copy to get it on Inrix, although you do need the standard Seat workaround of the Overall file which is used on map upgrades.

All straight forwards, see this for instructions:

The V12 maps and patch is there.

Some of us don't want to bother with AA and Waze 🤔. 4g is patchy and Google Maps aren't that good. I wouldn't rely on turn by turn navigation on my phone, it likes to take a nap from time to time 🤣.

Reactions: Chris Bartram

Walone

Feb 10, 2016
Near Heathrow
I've used Android Auto exclusively for 2 years or more with no problems at all, recently used it in Poland (Seat Arona hire car) with my phone, worked great.
I think it's also a good idea to give the GPS antenna on the phone a good clear view of the sky.

Tell

Staff member
Well the car systems are tethered to the roads since they don't expect you to be off road whilst mobile phone one's do so they take a wander at times. They jump roads in built up aread. Car systems don't do that. Saying that the calibration can be an issue on mib2 standard. The mib2 high re calibrates itself back to the map by following the road and bends, after 1/2 mile or so it sorts itself out. Clever when you see it do it. Seen this a few times where I've been fiddling with part updates of the map coursing a total restart. Mib3 one's have a mind of their own in relation to what's connected to them.

Walone

Feb 10, 2016
Near Heathrow
Well the car systems are tethered to the roads since they don't expect you to be off road whilst mobile phone one's do so they take a wander at times. They jump roads in built up aread. Car systems don't do that. Saying that the calibration can be an issue on mib2 standard. The mib2 high re calibrates itself back to the map by following the road and bends, after 1/2 mile or so it sorts itself out. Clever when you see it do it. Seen this a few times where I've been fiddling with part updates of the map coursing a total restart. Mib3 one's have a mind of their own in relation to what's connected to them.
I remember now, when I went to Germany, via Basel airport and a hire car, we had a nightmare using the phone Satnav where they had turn-offs in the tunnels!! :(

Reactions: Tell
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.