Turning a Leon into 4x4! How difficult??

DogSmoke

Apr 18, 2007
I was thinking earlier today that I'd rather keep the Leon and do something significant with it next year rather than get rid of it for something else. Then I got to wondering about fitting up mk4 Golf R32 4x4 running gear.... How hard would this be?? I would get it done professionally obviously, but how much work would be involved and has it been done before???

I'm assuming the R32 is 4x4, but I can't really remember. There is the 4motion if it's not....

Ta guys :D

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
considering the fact the shells are similar layout and size/weight why not just drive the golf ?

AndyCole

DogSmoke,
I know where there is an R32 engine, gearbox and all the running gear,and some suspension bits. What do you want next!!!!

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
The Leon chassis would require serious modification to be able to support a 4WD system.

This has been discussed 101 times before, with exact reasons why it's not a realistic idea given.

It would be a nice idea, but there is no point. If you have that much money to spend - and we're going to be talking the price of a new car here - then put it towards something like an M3. The insurance will be cheaper on an M3 too, compared to a LCR that's had this sort of modification done to it.

Phil K

Here's your sign
Oct 18, 2004
Surrey darling...
They made 4 wheel drive versions of the loeon though so I can't really see why it would cost all that much if you had a good donor vehicle and could do some of the work yourself...

I know of at least 3 people who have done it with Corrado's using various power plants - all to good effect!

Plus I'm sure there's plenty more 4wd'd less worthy cars than the Leon!

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
really simple..... cut the floor pan out of a 4x4 golf and weld it seamlessly & straight into your leon

if you can do that, the rest is easy

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
They made 4 wheel drive versions of the loeon though so I can't really see why it would cost all that much if you had a good donor vehicle and could do some of the work yourself...

I know of at least 3 people who have done it with Corrado's using various power plants - all to good effect!

Plus I'm sure there's plenty more 4wd'd less worthy cars than the Leon!

There were quite a few differences between the Cupra4 and the UK Leon though, that supported the 4WD system. It's not a simple case of the running gear being different.

dj_hektik

LEON 20VT FR
From the HPA Motorsports website:

Unlike earlier Syncro based conversions, the 4-Motion conversion is far from a bolt-on affair. Our licensed technicians unbolt the factory trailing axle, gas tank and peripherals. With this completed, they set in to the 80 hour task of drilling out the factory spot welds to extract the rear frame rails and floor assembly. With this task completed, the new 4-Motion rails from Germany are spot and seam welded back in place, making room for the new twin sender gas tank, rear differential and Independent suspension assembly. With the welding complete, the metal is etch primed, colored, cleared and wax sealed inside and out. Final assembly sees the seamless integration of all fly-by wire electronics for the Haldex rear differential installed, along with all the factory heat shields and wheel well liners. Once this conversion is completed, your car will look and function as if it was configured this way from the factory. This entire conversion is performed within HPA's 10,000 sq ft facility and takes roughly 8-10 weeks. The costs are virtually identical between the New Beetle, Golf and Jetta, but must be quoted on request.

Estimated cost for this conversion, including the supply of a new 6 speed transmission,
rear suspensions and differential assembly......................................$ 14,000-$16,000 US

RobDon

Pro Detailer
A few guys on VW Vortex have done, it does require major work though, cutting out the rear floorpan and boot then welding in the 4WD version, you need room for the propshaft, rear axle, different fuel tank, different suspension layout, etc., etc.

HarveyGTI

aw%20jeez.jpg

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members