Rear Tyre Consumption?

Thudd

I needed two new fronts on the 2.0 TFSI FR at the first service, which is fair enough.

But i've had uneven tyre wear on the rear due to incorrect suspension geometry from the factory. This has left a rumble on the rears.
The tyres have worn unevenly. The inside edges are <2mm but the outers are still >5mm.
I've been told new tyres will fix this (later today!) but wondered if anyone else had experienced similar?

Not impressed tbh. Never worn rear tyres out before...

Rampage

Trainee Northener
May 24, 2003
New tyres won't fix it.
Only correcting the geometry will stop it happening to the new tyres.

OLDOILER

Jul 28, 2005
Wiltshire, UK
I needed two new fronts on the 2.0 TFSI FR at the first service, which is fair enough.

But i've had uneven tyre wear on the rear due to incorrect suspension geometry from the factory. This has left a rumble on the rears.
The tyres have worn unevenly. The inside edges are <2mm but the outers are still >5mm.
I've been told new tyres will fix this (later today!) but wondered if anyone else had experienced similar?

Not impressed tbh. Never worn rear tyres out before...

You are not alone my daughters car had what we initially thought was a wheel bearing gone but the tyre fitter thought it was unbalanced - I'm more inclined to suspect rear geometry error, was your a early build by any chance??

I think this calls for a sticky poll co's there have been quite a few threads on this or very similar fault.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tam

Santa in disguise :)
Feb 10, 2005
Near Reevo :)
Rears usually last around 30K for me on other cars, but the ESP is keeping the back end in check on the Leon, so they might last a bit longer this time :)

toNes

Jun 26, 2007
London
I had the same problem that you've experienced with my old Leon Sport (55 plate).
Within a year and about 17k my rear tyres were really unevenly worn.

Inside were almost bare..... outside still with loads of tread!

When I went to National Tyres (who do the tyres for the service maintenance contracts) they were really surprised at the unusual wear on the rear tyres!

Obviously it's gotta be something to do with the wheel alignments rather than a driver issue!!

However, it doesn't seem to affect everyone...... I'm constantly checking my tyres of my 07 FR and so far they seem to be ok. Though I'm definately gonna raise this when I take my car in for it's first service, just to ensure that the tyre-wear is not re-occuring on my new FR!

langy

Aug 9, 2006
Mmmm, I've heard a rumbling sound from the back end, think I'll check to see if i have uneven wear on the rear tyres.

Thudd

I was told at the service that there is a service bulletin for this, and that the uneven wear was due to the geometry.

I had a geometry re-alignment carried out under warranty, but the camber was unchanged as apparently this is not adjustable without moving the subframe.

I'm concerned it's just going to eat the new tyres as well.

Seat offered 60% of the cost btw but I got the new ones below half price off a mate...

Thudd

Rumble has gone btw.

It's now got Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3's on all round instead of the OEM Bridgestones (?).

Trapper

Jul 1, 2005
West Sussex
I have this problem at the moment. Can now done 20k just replace the fronts as they were shot, but rumble from the rear. Took it back to dealer who said the it was uneven wear on the inside edges of the rears, mever mentioned the service bullitin.

Does anyone have a bullitin number or somthing??

OLDOILER

Jul 28, 2005
Wiltshire, UK
I was told at the service that there is a service bulletin for this, and that the uneven wear was due to the geometry.

I had a geometry re-alignment carried out under warranty, but the camber was unchanged as apparently this is not adjustable without moving the subframe.

Seat offered 60% of the cost btw but I got the new ones below half price off a mate...
Can you see if you can get the bullitin number please - need it for when we put my daughters car in. ....................

Trapper

Jul 1, 2005
West Sussex
Spoke to the dealer. There is a service bullitin out for it. My car goes in in a couple of weeks time for them to look at it.

Well keep you updated!!!

captainzlog

Not an uncommon problem

This seems to be a relatively common problem - see other threads:-
http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=120097
http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=116362
http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=143311
http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=148941
http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=139552

My 55 plate 2.0 TDi also has the same problem. It started as a whine at 40-50 mph, around 11,000 miles and has developed into a noisy rumble at 20-30 mph. The car has now done 18,000 miles. It went into the dealers last week who said that they have seen this once before. They put in a report to SEAT which came back with confirmation that it is a known problem with the rear wheel geometry. The answer apparently is an alignment check and new rear tyres - SEAT have offered to cover 30% of the cost of the tyres in addition to the geo-check.

Hopefully this will fix the problem. Apparently it only seems to affect cars with 17 and 18 inch rims, and then not all of them.

Hope this helps.

cardaft

Apr 21, 2007
Excessive rear tyre wear is seeming more sommon on new cars these days. But why :confused:

Our 2004 scenic needed a new set of tyres at 20K as all were totally worn down, fair enough the fronts but not the rears too, infact the rears were a bit worse than the fronts.

Onl more worn on the outside edge, it toes in at the back, making for interesting handling over rough roads since the car jumps sideways as one wheel goes up over the bump in the road the other pushes the cars sideways slightly.

We took it to the dealers and it was them that told us the rear tyres were just about illegal and said its not adjustable at all. They said we should replace all 4 with mechelin energy tyre agin since if we go for cheaper makes the tyres will wear much faster, even up to getting 8K from a set of rears!

Alteas and Leons seem to suffer the same but on the insides of the tyres, im assuming golfs and tourans are similar since they are the same car underneath.

Tam

Santa in disguise :)
Feb 10, 2005
Near Reevo :)
I guess just the suspension set-up, cars now adays seem to have a *lot* more grip than older cars, one of the reasons for this I guess is the reliance on the chassis/suspension to be more aggressive on the tyres to grip rather than slide.

djnemesis

Aug 17, 2008
Hi - I have just got my car back from the service and they mentioned the same thing - Does anyone know the VIN range it affect ?

I want SEAT to sort this one out ...

Also I spoke to a guy at SEAT customer services and he reckons that they recalled all the affected models and that the warranty would not cover it but I had to point out to him at this stage it is impossible to have recalled all the vehicles.

I await the response from the dealer...

Steve

djnemesis

Aug 17, 2008

SEAT payed 60% of the new tyres ? How did you manage to sort that out ? Also did they do the geometry fix free of charge ?

Thudd

They failed to fix it repeatedly and eventually told me that they all do that sir.
Then a kid in a BMW wrote it off for me.

It may surprise you that I wouldn't get another!

djnemesis

Aug 17, 2008
They failed to fix it repeatedly and eventually told me that they all do that sir.
Then a kid in a BMW wrote it off for me.

It may surprise you that I wouldn't get another!

Hmmm that doesn't fill me with hope :(

I spoke to the dealer again today and he thinks they may be able to sort it out - They had an example of this with a standard Leon i.e. not FR a little while ago and had to take the geometry measurements send those off to SEAT HQ, get the ok to do it then it was all good.

Fingers crossed - Will keep you posted.

Mar 30, 2008
Edinburgh
there was an article in auto express about some guy that had a leon mk2 that had high and uneven wear on his rear tyres. dealer part part cost. not sure what issue it was but wasn't too long ago.
apparantly seat said there was a batch of leons that were sold with the wrong geometry lol. idiots

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members