polo lowering springs for ibiza?

davecupra16v

Hi all,

Just been on ebay and there is a cheap set of aftermarket lowering springs for a 2001 VW Polo and was wondering if anyone knows, would they fit my mk2 ibiza cupra sport 16v?

cheers guys.

NickyJam

FR - gone, not forgotten
Mar 17, 2008
SW LONDON
i thought the mk2 and mk3 Ibiza's were based on the same chassis? Isn't this the reason behind there never being a mk3 branded on the continent?

In the UK the mk3 was released where on the continent this was branded a facelift mk2...:shrug:

sickpupppy

lmao@ my typo'd user name
Jul 8, 2009
carlisle, the frozen north
serioulsly though, would you really want a mk2 any lower than it is?
mine almost bottoms out on the slightest ridge in the road, and to be honest from the rear looks great with the standard bumper hanging just a few inches above the ground, even better with a remus pipe set poking out from under it lol :eek:)

abhardwaj1990

Yes, I'm licking my hand
Mar 16, 2009
Shottingham
serioulsly though, would you really want a mk2 any lower than it is?
mine almost bottoms out on the slightest ridge in the road, and to be honest from the rear looks great with the standard bumper hanging just a few inches above the ground, even better with a remus pipe set poking out from under it lol :eek:)

I think your mk2's already lowered, or you have lots of heavy things in it ;)

Mine was like a 4x4 before it was lowered lol

Dave_R

Save a Sheep...Buy Brembo
Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
Hi all,

Just been on ebay and there is a cheap set of aftermarket lowering springs for a 2001 VW Polo and was wondering if anyone knows, would they fit my mk2 ibiza cupra sport 16v?

cheers guys.

Way do people always wanna buy polo lowering springs/coilovers going cheap for an Ibiza???? Why not buy cheap Ibiza springs instead?????

Tell you what go buy the cheap Polo's ones and let me know how crap your car handles!

................Buy Cheap, Buy Twice!!! :D

vngtx

theres loads of cheapo ibiza coilovers on ebay for 170 quid + shipping. go rite down to 120mm some of them. cant say if theyre any good tho. only the 94-2000 polo has same springs as the ibiza mk2 1.4. gti springs are wider and shorter. i wud never just use lowering springs after the noise i got lowering the old ibiza 40mm on standard shocks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dave_R

Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
You say go down to 120mm but they are not tested there! Even on my bilteins, they lower my car to 80mm but anything after 65mm and they are not tested to the "whatever" standard it is.

So therefore if they broke and throw a wheel off your car then you can't go kicking off because they were not tested and designed to go that low although they can go that low.

vngtx

You say go down to 120mm but they are not tested there! Even on my bilteins, they lower my car to 80mm but anything after 65mm and they are not tested to the "whatever" standard it is.

So therefore if they broke and throw a wheel off your car then you can't go kicking off because they were not tested and designed to go that low although they can go that low.

u may have just put me off coilies. :(

Dave_R

Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
u may have just put me off coilies. :(

Well they can go that low and the threads are they to wind them down that low then they should be safe enough.... worse case really would be the life on the coilovers would be shorten.

Whats the test??? AUV approved? (Not sure what it is called now) But if you look in the manual or information about the collies then it states in there the range that it was tested at.

(Know I'm going back on my last post, but I mean a wheel going off would be very rare...... I haven't heard it happening to anyone yet :) )

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.