Removing the steering wheel badge?

mikeholroyd

There's no such thing as "doing it right" when playing around with airbags
course there is ive had mine off 3 times so if you do it right you will make it go off??????.
commen sense is a word that comes to mind here.
its like playing with fire it will burn you 1 day.
it will take more than a badge to sett it off imo.

I'm not for one minute saying that removing the airbag or its badge will set it off.

If the airbag is removed and refitted in the way it was intended, there is no problem. If there wasn't a proper way to remove handle, store and refit airbags, why do you think they have introduced the law that only qualified persons are allowed to do it???????

What I am saying is that is is exceptionally dangerous to play about with an airbag by changing anything from how it originally was manufactured. I'm not saying that removing the badge could set it off (unless the screwdriver the OP was using slips and shorts out the firing mechanism)-- what I am trying to point out is the danger of incorrectly reattached badges if the airbag is deployed in an accident

Until you see the power of an airbag explosion first hand under controlled conditions, you truly have no idea of the damage they can do to you.

Mike

Last edited by a moderator:

Booya

LCR 225
Nov 17, 2009
Glasgow, Scotland
As for the steering wheel 'S', if mine was scratched up I'd be tempted to get some carbon fibre vinyl and cover it, similar to what a few people are doing to their external badges now.

You got my interest there but after a quick photoshop I think it looks nasty!

img60901.jpg

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
Yeah, doing the whole thing does look a bit nasty. I meant just overlay the 'S' shape rather than the whole area?

Although with the black with red trim I'd be tempted to try something a bit similar on the S as well. And maybe get your steering wheel back in the right place? It doesn't look right on that side! ;)

Booya

LCR 225
Nov 17, 2009
Glasgow, Scotland
Oh just the "S"? Cool idea! Might take a photo of MY steering wheel later and try it. Think that image was from someone off here. Pls don't sue me :(

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
Oh just the "S"? Cool idea! Might take a photo of MY steering wheel later and try it. Think that image was from someone off here. Pls don't sue me :(

Ah, that makes a bit more sense then! :) I wondered why you had a LHD Leon...

You could always buy chrome effect vinyl and get it back to it's former glory, although I've only ever seen it on Ebay and not in the real world.

Then again, I have seen a brushed aluminium effect vinyl, and that did look good...

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
Yeah, I have to agree with you there. I do like proper chrome, especially the 'black chrome' you can get. But I think the chrome vinyl will look cheap regardless of how good it is...

I've just noticed, you already have a carbon wrapped spoiler and S badge, I think continuing the theme inside would work well.

wayne lcr

bored of it now
Mar 5, 2009
doncaster
there was a guy on ebay that made centre caps fot the lcr wheels i was going to ask him to make a 65 or 70 mm 1 to replace the (s) in the steering wheel.

Mark300zx

Apr 24, 2008
Surrey/SW London
there was a guy on ebay that made centre caps fot the lcr wheels i was going to ask him to make a 65 or 70 mm 1 to replace the (s) in the steering wheel.

Count me in if he does, don't know it is possible but would it be possible to get oversized dome type so we can just glue it on top?

Mike H is there any possibility of you sourcing some of the special glue used for airbag fixings?

wayne lcr

bored of it now
Mar 5, 2009
doncaster
thats the only 1 i would put in ive emailed him to see if he can make bigger 1s.
@ mark you wont need and glue the things stay on and ive used a jetter and road grime and snow and they are still on me caps.

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
@ mark you wont need and glue the things stay on and ive used a jetter and road grime and snow and they are still on me caps.

I don't think he was concerned about it not coming off under normal circumstances, I think it was more referencing the discussion about possible injuries from airbag deployments. I can imagine a plastic disc being quite painful...

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.