What to look out for - test driving a dsg

M6TT F

Dec 27, 2009
Ok - got a dealer holding a dsg fr for me to test in the morning - any obvious signs to look out for? Read about clunking on the downchange, and difficulty selecting reverse?

predo

Dec 26, 2005
Edinburgh
not much really, just feel if it is smooth. If it does have problems it should be apparent straight away. If it has hidden problems, unfortunately you cannot just pick it up on one test drive...

SHADY-NINJA

Feb 14, 2005
London
www.airconmedic.co.uk
try to start the engine from cold and use a bit of distraction techniques to buy time so that engine is left running for as long as possible like babbling about anything.
opt for a longer test drive.
prepare a check list and dont let them distract you with any finance deals.

When my DSG was misbehaving, it was absolutely fine when started from cold but if you had more than say 10 mins of stop-start traffic and the gearbox started to get hot, it was really obvious that something wasn't right.

M6TT F

Dec 27, 2009
Well just got back - 120 mile round trip, but it was worth it. Car was lovely, really good condition and low miles, one owner. Let it warm up for a good 5 mins before we went out. (thanks for the tip) drove really nicely, couldn't detect any obvious issues, and it has a 12mth seat warranty for piece of mind. Get it next weekend, can't wait!

DBD19

Feb 9, 2011
got my fr dsg a few weeks ago and loved every minute driving it...

so come on lets hear some detals of your newly purchased ride

colour, spec etc

M6TT F

Dec 27, 2009
57 plate Metallic black, FR TFSI DSG. With the 18" alloys and Bluetooth. 12.5k on the clock, one owner. Don't know if it has coming home lights etc - will have to have a play :)

Deleted member 62438

Hi M6TT F

I'm a newbie here with a Black Magic FR CR DSG. I've had it just over 4 weeks from brand new and loving it big time. Any excuse to go out in it lol.

2 days ago i painted my grille and badge in black magic and it looks black magic. There are some pics of others black grilles to look at on the site but i can't post any of my pics yet.

It totally transforms the look of the front.

Deleted member 62438

If you flash the headlights twice before turning the car off, the lights will stay on for a short while after the car is locked.

predo

Dec 26, 2005
Edinburgh
you can set it as you like using VCDS.... I have mine going off 15 seconds after I close the car and coming on once the car is unlocked.

Deleted member 62438

I think i need to read the manual properly then. Too busy enjoying the bits i can do properly to read about other stuff. I've promised myself i'll read it some time in 2011.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.