Bike Transport Thread.. (Previously The Tow Bar Thread)

Sep 23, 2009
Bedfordshire
Hello SCN'ers :)

Right, got a new bike and im thinking of taking up biking quite seriously, for fitness as well as fun. Anywhoooo, to get to some of these cool biking places we're talking 25/30 mile drive before a ride so i need a way of transporting the bike. Roof bars and rear racks wont do! Neither would folding the seats down!:ban:

Researching on here i see the towbar option is very highly recommended. i like the idea of it and want one! Now i live in Bedfordshire, i may be able to fit the towbar itself, afterall there are instructions but what about the electrics.

Will i need a dedicated wiring kit?
Is it easy to do? / Are there any guides?
Can i see pics of different people's towbars? I know a lot of people go for detatchable
What brand of towbars/types are best for what i want?

i have emailed several companies and have got no where.

BTW the car i have is a Ibiza Mk4 (Obviously) the 1.2 S 2002.
So prefacelift and not gonna be towing anything just a cycle rack.

Please people, sorry for the essay.

EDIT; Any recommendations on online sites/fitters/ shops around Bedfordshire?

Thanks

Last edited:

knackerdecobre

Why not in the back? Mine went in fine with both wheels and seat off. Could easier drop another one on top.

Also why is it a no to roof rack?

Sep 23, 2009
Bedfordshire
Not a fan of making a dirty interior, plus it means with seats up i can take me missus and stick my nephew in the back etc. I was looking at the roof racks which work out a hell of a lot cheaper but heard horror stories about it crushing/denting the roof of the Ibiza.

At the moment im still researching but i think towbar may be the way to go.

Glad you asked though, got me thinking about the roof rack again!

jharris1981

possible rear rack

I went through this dilemma a while back and ended up trying out different rear racks (I have a friend that owns a bike shop) I have a Cupra TDI and i bought a Saris Bones, hasn't left any marks on the body work and can be mounted high enough to clear the spoiler completely... I've only used it three times but really happy with it so far!

Sep 23, 2009
Bedfordshire
I went through this dilemma a while back and ended up trying out different rear racks (I have a friend that owns a bike shop) I have a Cupra TDI and i bought a Saris Bones, hasn't left any marks on the body work and can be mounted high enough to clear the spoiler completely... I've only used it three times but really happy with it so far!

any pics bud? :)

knackerdecobre

Mount blanc (something like that) roof racks dont crush if fitted right.

Sep 3, 2008
Buckie, Moray
Id be keen to see the pics of the rear rack too.
Iv heard that thule bars are ok for the roof, it was the oem seat ones that creased the roof? Still means dirty bikes on the roof and risks of scratching it getting them up there. If your just using a towbar for a bike rack then id say no need for electrics? Unless it blocks all your lights and then you need a light board.
Iv been toying with the idea but just bike to places or use my dad / the farms pick up

Sep 23, 2009
Bedfordshire
Martin,
Its just getting the bikes on the roof and as you said, the dirt from the bike.
I think i would need electronics because i can see it blocking the lights. It would be interesting if people had more photo's though.

Sep 3, 2008
Buckie, Moray
There is a few threads about tow bars, what you need and pics too. I did have it bookmarked but mustve had a clear out as its not there. Im sure a search would find a few threads though

Sep 23, 2009
Bedfordshire
i'm 5'7/8 so not majorly short but not tall ;)

After looking at the price of getting a towbar + electrics fitted and then a bike rack on top, i prefer the roof rack. Looking about and would like to see some pics of this. Thinking of a thule rack with locks, square bar rather than aero, is ~£30 cheaper but ive got more research to do. Also 2x thule 591 racks. Works out a bit cheaper.

Any recommendations for roofbars and roof racks.

Cheers :D

FR_Simon

Aug 3, 2009
Surrey
Hello mate, have a read of this:
http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=276667

I've got two 591's carriers as well as the gear in the above post and no complaints whatsoever, only negative of the roof bar setup would be if you do alot of motorway driving as it adds to the wind noise and slightly drops the mpg. They are easy enough to take off/put back on though.

Been using this setup for ~2 years off and on with no marks to the body whatsoever. www.roofbox.co.uk was the cheapest at the time for the set but worth checking now, top service as well - they sent a damaged 591 and replaced it next day, no quibbles! :)

Sep 23, 2009
Bedfordshire
Cheers Simon, i read that last night, sounds good. I don't do much motorway driving so it's okay. Do you leave you bars on all the time or take them off and put them on when needed? I think the thule set up is going to be the one because it is cheaper that getting a towbar supplied and fitted.

I like the Thule 591 but had a look at some automaxxi bike holders which are lockable, ~£15 a pair seems a bargain. All in for ~£150, not bad! Just wait till pay day now ;)

tomhowroyd

Glacier blue pd130 sport
Apr 5, 2011
Sussex/Kent/York
I cycle a lot, and also go to take my bike up and down to uni, about 300 miles each way. I just have your bog standard bike rack that goes on the back of the boot. Attaches in about 60 seconds max, off in half that, has left no marks and have been over 100 mph with bike on back with no problems. Doesn't wobble around when having a bit of fun in corners as well; as long as you attach it with the idea of lateral support in mind. Anyway, kit cost my dad about £25 15 years ago and has no signs of age. I would just use one of these any day!

chrisRibiza

Sep 27, 2007
I have Thule 591s on aero bars on my roof. I keep one bike carrier on the roof a the time and there is no noise, two carriers on the roof were really noisy.

I got mine from a company called ski drive and it was far cheaper than Halfords etc.

They take a bit of time to get set up but once they are on they are secure. Getting the bike on could be awkward if the bike is heavy or your not tall. If your getting 591s get aero bars as they are really easy to fit using the t track system.

The only thing you'll need to check is the frame can be clamped near the bottom bracket shell.

I am not sure I would trust a cheap rack holding my bike on the roof......

Here's some photos of mine

b87e3b7a.jpg

b3c1d725.jpg

5c84b348.jpg

bfc3c071.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2009
Bedfordshire
I must say your bike looks awesome! So does the set up, i'm going to look into whether to get the aero bars or not, plus the thule 591's are quite expensive, i see what you mean though. Thanks matey

FR_Simon

Aug 3, 2009
Surrey
Cheers Simon, i read that last night, sounds good. I don't do much motorway driving so it's okay. Do you leave you bars on all the time or take them off and put them on when needed? I think the thule set up is going to be the one because it is cheaper that getting a towbar supplied and fitted.

I like the Thule 591 but had a look at some automaxxi bike holders which are lockable, ~£15 a pair seems a bargain. All in for ~£150, not bad! Just wait till pay day now ;)

Hi,

I have the bars on for a few months at a time - when I'm going on a roadtrip or alot of business miles I'll take em off. You really do get what you pay for and if you can stretch it I would get the 591's, like all Thule kit its not just the quality of the materials but the timesaving in ease of assembly and general design. I also got a matching lock set for the bars and carriers so one key across 8 locks for ease :)

My mate bought a Halfords roof bar setup and it took him hours to get it all setup. The 591's adjust to any bike so when you stick a different bike on the same few seconds to load and lock in - the cheaper carriers need to alot of faffing to take a different bike each time. They make be a bit more but the quality is so much better and if you get a dofferent car you only need to change the foot adaptors.

Sep 23, 2009
Bedfordshire
Simon, you have almost single handedly converted me! I've done some research into all you have suggested and well, the thought of having roof bars and being able to take them to my next car at the expense of a £20/30 footpack rather than another £2/300 towbar.

Come payday i'm gonna grab the Thule Aerobars set up and 591 carriers :) That roofbox.co.uk place do the lock matching service so a bit result there plus they are the cheapest i have found so far.

Thanks a lot bud.

chrisRibiza

Sep 27, 2007
Just remember not to drive under any low barriers in car parks etc!!

If your like Me you'll also drive carefully with the bike on the roof as I'm paranoid it will fall off even tho I know it's totally secure.