Grahams81-Leon 4wd, Big Turbo - Back in the saddle :-)

grahams81

Oct 14, 2010
County Durham
Oh yeh baby !

Do me a favour mate and Edit your post to delete some of the quote just so it's not as long,

You just delete the bit inbetween the brackets that you don't want :funk:

Rgm racer

Sep 22, 2009
Holy ****, 100 hp from cams

99 extra hp and 35 extra pounds of torque just purely by changing cams? however good they are,can this possibly be right as I wouldn't have thought they could make a differencce of anything remotely near that?

grahams81

Oct 14, 2010
County Durham
99 extra hp and 35 extra pounds of torque just purely by changing cams? however good they are,can this possibly be right as I wouldn't have thought they could make a differencce of anything remotely near that?

The dyno was done on a 1.8t bored and stroked to a 2.0t with a large port head and a PT5857
Similar to a gt3076.
The numbers are real... The standard cams are ground to match the OE turbo.. ie good power band to 6000rpm.

There's loadsa info out there on them search on vwvortex.... They managed 119hp over standard cams when tuned to match.

Last edited:

Rgm racer

Sep 22, 2009
The dyno was done on a 1.8t bored and stroked to a 2.0t with a large port head and a PT5857
Similar to a gt3076.
The numbers are real... The standard cams are ground to match the OE turbo.. ie good power band to 6000rpm.

There's loadsa info out there on them search on vwvortex.... They managed 119hp over standard cams when tuned to match.

Blimey that's very impressive.I'm running a G28 on standard bore.At any point the engine has to come apart this would be a time to definitely look to do this then.Certainly if I ever go for a stroker kit I guess it would be an obvious addition to do at same time.

grahams81

Oct 14, 2010
County Durham
Blimey that's very impressive.I'm running a G28 on standard bore.At any point the engine has to come apart this would be a time to definitely look to do this then.Certainly if I ever go for a stroker kit I guess it would be an obvious addition to do at same time.

Yeh, you should look into it, I.E do three versions of the camshafts ranging from just an inlet cam for smaller big turbo's like gt28's upto the wild ones like i've ordered for silly sized turbos :whistle:

So i drove down to Barnsley today and picked up my LCR rear bumper, its been repainted by stevie wonder by the look of it.... runs all over it, got a little bit of plastic welding to do round the exhaust outlet but it'll turn out ok, and about a month of sanding by the look of it.

So just pushed it on to check fitment, it's not fitting perfect i may have to buy different side guides to hold it in but i will have a look in the daylight when it's not p*ssing down and blowing a houlie.

DSC01195.jpg

DSC01194.jpg

Looking better tho.

Also removed the door rub strips and the rubber seals from the passenger side.
Also thought i would tackle the black plastic bits on the doors, started of just breaking into tiny bits so i broke out the blow lamp and warmed them up - came off a treat then.

Bought some Forge silicone coolant hoses from there factory "seconds" ebay site. Apparently the forge printed sign isn't quite right but that'll not bother me.

So hopefully my plastic filler and special adhesive will be here tomorrow so i can crack on with the front bumper, failing that i'll start the back bumper.

grahams81

Oct 14, 2010
County Durham
I saw that on ebay as well but its to far from me, bargain though even with the little bit of damage

Yeh thats what i thought :D it was a 200 mile round trip but in the company steed it was nice to get out .

My best trip to pick up something was last christmas when we had that stupid amount of snow i drove down to essex to get an engine block, 700 mile and it turned out to be a paper weight :)

seatcupramad23

kc4even23
Sep 7, 2009
birmingham
Yeh, you should look into it, I.E do three versions of the camshafts ranging from just an inlet cam for smaller big turbo's like gt28's upto the wild ones like i've ordered for silly sized turbos :whistle:

So i drove down to Barnsley today and picked up my LCR rear bumper, its been repainted by stevie wonder by the look of it.... runs all over it, got a little bit of plastic welding to do round the exhaust outlet but it'll turn out ok, and about a month of sanding by the look of it.

So just pushed it on to check fitment, it's not fitting perfect i may have to buy different side guides to hold it in but i will have a look in the daylight when it's not p*ssing down and blowing a houlie.

DSC01195.jpg

DSC01194.jpg

Looking better tho.

Also removed the door rub strips and the rubber seals from the passenger side.
Also thought i would tackle the black plastic bits on the doors, started of just breaking into tiny bits so i broke out the blow lamp and warmed them up - came off a treat then.

Bought some Forge silicone coolant hoses from there factory "seconds" ebay site. Apparently the forge printed sign isn't quite right but that'll not bother me.

So hopefully my plastic filler and special adhesive will be here tomorrow so i can crack on with the front bumper, failing that i'll start the back bumper.

much better ,prefer full cupra r cumpers

grahams81

Oct 14, 2010
County Durham
Cheers Lads,

So been in the garage again today..

So started off playing with the front bumper again, i had a part that was missing where the bumper was damaged before i got it -

DSC01196.jpg

So what i did was to use a part from the removed section of the other side, this gave me a nice shaped filling piece -

DSC01200.jpg

I then cut the angled broken piece out to a square shape to make it easier to repair.
After a bit of cutting / fine trimming i got the soldering iron out and plastic welded it into place -

DSC01203.jpg

After a light dose of sanding, it's not too bad, will need a light coat of plastic filler to finish -

DSC01204.jpg

I also added a sliver of plastic to the top section just to fill it out where i got a bit over the top cutting the bumper.

So i cleaned everything up and roughed the surface of the plastic bumper inside with a soldering iron / emery cloth....
I then put some of the special adhesive i ordered for sticking bodykits on, it's like a really thick black sealant / glue and seems to take for ever to go off.

DSC01208.jpg

So after i did that i didn't want to disturb it whilst it was drying i put the bumper back on the car and got cracking removing all the stuff from the boot.
Took out the interior boot panels and then stripped the spoiler off, then removed the boot handle, rear wiper & rear lights... i also took the badges off too but it left loads of sticky stuff on there - i will get the panel wipe out later -

DSC01216.jpg

Here is the FR spoiler next to the cupra one, it looks a lot longer -

DSC01214.jpg

I had to repair the spoiler as it had started to come apart on the joins, i pulled it completely apart and used some of the super duper adhesive to glue it back together.

I'll see what it looks like on tomorrow.

My Forge coolant hose set came today -

DSC01209.jpg

There suppose to be seconds due to a bad print on the logo, but they look great to me.

Quickly slipped a couple of pipes onto the engine -

DSC01210.jpg

DSC01211.jpg

Well i'll do a bit more tomoro... so long

IH786

Apr 8, 2004
Birmingham
Where did you pick up the Forge hoses from Graham?

You do need LCR rear bumper brackets, lucky for you i have some which i can send FOC, just drop me a PM :D

grahams81

Oct 14, 2010
County Durham
Cheers for the comments guys.

Where did you pick up the Forge hoses from Graham?

You do need LCR rear bumper brackets, lucky for you i have some which i can send FOC, just drop me a PM :D

I got the hoses from the forge outlet on ebay.... linky just for you ;) http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Forge-Factory-Seconds?_trksid=p4340.l2563

And yeh i could do with the rear bumper brackets mate, that would be a big help... i'll pm you :)

Right i've been busy on the car all day.

I started by checking the spoiler and it was all nicely stuck back together so dropped it onto the car -

DSC01217.jpg

I then glued the other side of the front bumper up... didn't bother taking any photo's..

I pushed the car outside next to get access to all the doors. I finished removing the door inner & outer seals, then i got the blow lamp out and warmed the sill / kick plates up to help soften the glue etc... came off a piece of piss once they were heater up.

Did some general tidying up, and got bored of doing bodywork stuff so i decided to have a crack and getting the driveshafts out of the audi TT / LCR hubs i bought ages ago.

I tried previously but couldn't get the bolt out the end of the drive shaft, i used a blow lamp, windy gun - shocked the crap outta it... no joy.

So i got out the plasma cutter and started to cut around the wheel hub part just behind the bolt head, i hoped that once the replaceable hub part was cut it would leave the bolt loose and i could remove the driveshaft from the assembly.
I started cutting around it and then had to stop as i had a rather large fire....

I'll explain, the other day i dropped a can of penetrating spray and it smashed the end in and was coming out everywhere so i put a cloth over it an let it drain into a container... i have been using the oil from the container for cleaning etc..... so this was a couple of meter's away from where i was cutting (didn't think anything of it) - i'm guessing a spark flew off and landed in the container.
I was cutting and sore a orange glow coming from the side (had welding mask on and gauntlets) i turned round to find 2ft flames coming from the container - thought **** better sort that out so i grabbed the container (with my gauntlets on) and tried to move it off my tool box and place it on the floor...... i managed to dribble the burning fluid across my leg and all over the workbench / plasma torch.
Needless to say i shat myself.... and tried to put the container down quickly spilling it all over the concrete floor.
I ran outta the garage to get the garden hose and then returned and sprayed the flames - NOTE don't use water to put out oil fires as a giant fire ball ensues [:@] (now i think on it's like a chip pan fire - but at the time i just panicked and never thought)
So gave up on that idea..... flames now about a meter high and getting rather close to the car i've just spent a year rebuilding :help:
I managed to use some spare welding gauntlets / rags to throw over the top of the fire and suffocate it.......God i was lucky, i just thought to myself what a knob, i should know better than that - containers with flamable oil in whilst cutting / grinding.

So just a note for you guys - don't be a knob like me and stay safe.

So after clearing up for an hour and mopping up the oil / water, i cracked on with the cutting and managed to remove the driveshafts totally undamaged from the hubs.
I will just need some new wheel bearings with the hubs on.

I then decided to remove the wheel bearings from the steering hubs, removed the circlip.... but it still took a massive amount of knocking to shift them.

Here's one done -

DSC01218.jpg

Got a right gaggle of driveshafts now -

DSC01219.jpg

So i'll crack back on with the boring bodywork tomorrow :(

Ta Tar

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
So what's controlling the 4WD?

And can you have it adjustable from inside? I was just amusing myself with thoughts of a 20/80 split & how that might drive

grahams81

Oct 14, 2010
County Durham
I still have to buy or make a haldex controller.

There are some quite expensive stand alone systems (£500) for people like me who don't have a factory installed Haldex system - the original system uses the ABS sensors via the CAN-BUS data system. This type is controllable via a touch screen inside the car and can be set to come on via boost pressure or gear selection etc.

There is a cheaper manual controlled valve that can be installed directly to the diff, this can be used to vary the torque to the rear, but i won't be able to go with 80Front/20 i think the max is a 50/50.... although i need to research into it.

80/20 would be great for fun when driving, drifting the rear out on the power but i think with the short wheelbase and 50/50 split it will understeer slightly.

Jun 20, 2010
Norfolk
This thread is truely epic... I can only wish i had the skills to do everything yourve done.. One day i will read this all the way through!... Keep it up mate..

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.