Which Leon: FR TSI, FR TDI, or Cupra?

RS777

Hi, just joined the forum today and thought I'd say hello. I'm hoping to get a mk2 leon soon so will be on this forum quite a bit - although I have promised myself that I won't mod this car :whistle: Anyways, I was wondering if maybe you guys could help me with a bit of a dilema I'm having?

I've just got a new job that's a bit further away and so I need to buy a fairly new motor that's going to be reliable as I'll have a 60 mile round trip each day - mostly motorway miles. Having owned a Mk4 Golf GTI for a few years I've decided to stick with VAG and get a Leon. The trouble is which one?

The one that I really want is the Cupra, and I've seen a few nice examples for sale but the only thing I'm worried about is the fuel consumption - I've heard reports of people only getting 25mpg from these things and that rate I'll be spending over £340 a month on petrol! The next option is of course the FR TSI but then is that going to be much better? If I go petrol should I just take the hit and get the Cupra?

Lastly, and I know this is the sensible option, I could get the FR TDI. The thing is I've always been a petrolhead and find it difficult to accept the fact that I might have to drive an oil burner. Is there anyone out there who has owned both the petrol and diesel models? What was the difference in performance like? Do you ever get used to that diesel rattle?

Benjic2

Aug 29, 2011
If you have your sights set on manual the get the cupra. However the FR TSI with DSG is very very good. Performance wise cupra and fr with dsg are not that much different unless you will be modding it engine wise. Certainly the cupra is quicker and has better brakes but on the road where do you get the oppertunity to drive flat out 100%...
I get about 29/30mpg out of mine with very spirited driving. Motorway sat at 70 it will do 45mpg+ all day long.

Cupra if you want maximum control + performance. TSI if you want a mix. TDI if you want economy.

RS777

Hi, thanks for your reply mate. Yeah I was kinda thinking of getting a manual but I hadn't even considered a DSG tbh. Maybe I'll have to have see if I can test drive one somewhere. Your MPG figures sound good too.

Redemption

Jun 18, 2011
Hampshire
TDI's aren't as quick but they're certainly not slow. Due to all the torque they feel quite effortless to drive (especially with DSG). If you did want more power then you can always get it remapped. Same goes for the other two though.

Squealy

Jul 22, 2012
Northern Ireland
Has to be a Cupra... I got mine in march and its a 2010. Seeing 35mpg and thats with a remap and intake boosting power to 330bhp. Without the map i seen it doing 40+ but its all about how you drive it

RS777

I would just love to get the Cupra, but what would be the point if I have to drive it like an old lady to be able to afford the fuel? Maybe a TSI would be best, 45mpg on the motorway doesn't sound too bad. I wonder what a cupra manages mpg-wise in the real world...

LeonCR

Oct 22, 2009
Max i have had out of a tank is 370 but that was all motorway and driving like a granny, mines standard btw

Squealy

Jul 22, 2012
Northern Ireland
Well you can weigh it up with... should i break the speed limit and risk fines etc? Cupra's are a blast and the acceleration is unreal but with the likes of myself i give it the odd squirt on the motorway and surprise a lot of other big name cars. WR1 impreza's and Foccy RS's are ate up and spat back out just with my subtle mods. I recommend you test drive and see what you feel most comfortable in. A remap and filter turns the car from day to night. 50mph is giving me 43mpg on the motorway so i'm sure on a longer trip you would see more

marty_34

Apr 21, 2012
TEESSIDE
sensible option is the fr tdi id say. i go 15 miles each way to work 95% dual carriageway driving im seeing 500-550 a tank not driving like a grandad!

if your going 30 miles each way i could see you getting high 40's into the 50's from a diesel, i use to be dead against diesels but my opinions changed. not fastest car ive driven but by no means slow

RS777

They all sound good to be honest! I think Squealy's right, I'm just going to have to test drive a few and see what's what. The one I'm most curious about is the diesel, although I'm just not sure if I could live with one.

marty_34

Apr 21, 2012
TEESSIDE
They all sound good to be honest! I think Squealy's right, I'm just going to have to test drive a few and see what's what. The one I'm most curious about is the diesel, although I'm just not sure if I could live with one.

i went to buy 2.o tsi petrol and came home with a diesel

RS777

Ok, so it sounds like the Cupra's going to cost about £300 a month in petrol. The TSI about £240, and the diesel about £190. That's £110 diff between the Cupra and the TDI - ouch!

Maybe I'll just have to try the diesel and swap it for a cupra when I move closer to work!

Thanks for all the replies guys.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.