Which Leon: FR TSI, FR TDI, or Cupra?

Benjic2

Aug 29, 2011
True, it depends on how you drive them. Unless you are driving the petrols with care then there won't be much difference in them, i'm certain cupras will be able to 40's+ on the motorway. In town both petrols will be pretty much the same

Mar 3, 2012
southampton, UK
Iv been pleasantly suprised with my tdi. So easy to overtake ect. You get used to the diesel noise very quickly. I get about 550miles to a tank maybe more too. Also mine isn't smokey too so that's a plus. I drove my mates fr tsi 200bhp and it didn't feel much faster. The needle was going up but wasnt as much oomph as i would have thought. Just my opinion tho. Id say or long journeys diesel plus map is best of both worlds. Good luck with what ever you get mate.

Sent from my LG-P920 using Tapatalk 2

EndlessNameless

Keep it Maximum
Jun 26, 2012
Beware using only one sample to draw conclusions...

I have an unmodified 2008 TSI FR DSG, and my motorway mpg is about 38-42 with cruise control set at 60. At 70 it's a struggle to get 35mpg. (according to the onboard computer, haven't done an actual measurement).

With a 60 mile a day commute, I'd get a diesel.

CHR15B

May 5, 2005
Scotland
I'd recommend driving the TDI before ruling it out - a 2009+ model (Commonrail) drives very nice indeed.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

tuan21

My Cupra, my life style
Feb 24, 2011
Italy
60 miles a day Mean at least 1200 miles per month.... only to go to work...

well I drive for 1800km (1118 miles) per month and I have a CupraR Revo stage1... 25 mpg my cunsumption, half of milage on highway 65-85 mph

if you can, get a cupra but it will be bit expensive. I think Fr TSI is quite the same

GrahamFR

Now AMG Powered
Dec 10, 2008
Barnsley or Burton
As everyone has said it all comes down to cost but I have this argument with myself everytime im driving like granny trying to stay above 60mpg then I get overtaken by a bluemotion polo which I know will be doing better mpg then me, so I think what is the point even owning an FR. But that moment soon passes, and I just think so what, im just going to go faster and be safe in the knowledge that a petrol going my speeds will be doing half the mpg.

window60

Feb 19, 2008
Worcester
I drive a Cupra after upgrading from a TDI FR, I do about a 50 mile round trip to work 5 times a week which is all motorway driving. The part of the motorway which I use always seems to have a constant flow of 65ish mph, so I tend to follow the flow. At this speed I roughly get about 35mpg, best I got was just under 39mpg but this was proper granny driving. I fill up every Monday and it costs me about £50, but I normally have 1/4 of a tank left on the gauge.

The way I see it is I'm in no rush to get to work, so I will happily follow the flow. I have fun in the Cupra in the weekends. :)

Sast

Feb 17, 2012
Wigan
If you're worried about fuel costs, go with the 1.6!

I was doing a 50 mile round trip every day for my commute using an FR TFSI and was getting around 420 miles from a tank of Tesco Momentum fuel, I used to drive to work at 5:30am when the roads were quiet and used to stretch her legs quite often.

The fuel cost of the FR/Cupra are quite good for the power you get imo.

tuan21

My Cupra, my life style
Feb 24, 2011
Italy
I drive a Cupra after upgrading from a TDI FR, I do about a 50 mile round trip to work 5 times a week which is all motorway driving. The part of the motorway which I use always seems to have a constant flow of 65ish mph, so I tend to follow the flow. At this speed I roughly get about 35mpg, best I got was just under 39mpg but this was proper granny driving. I fill up every Monday and it costs me about £50, but I normally have 1/4 of a tank left on the gauge.

The way I see it is I'm in no rush to get to work, so I will happily follow the flow. I have fun in the Cupra in the weekends. :)

:rofl: U do the same, and I repeat, the same movements of me!! :rofl:

Me 37 miles per day(6 day a week), refuel on Monday 3/4 of tank and fun in the weekend!!!

my best comsuption in 30mpg, but I have only half of the way on highway

:lol:

jezyg

Feb 21, 2003
Derby
I went from an FR TDi to FR TSi and have never regretted it really. MPG is about 9mpg less and RFL is higher, the Cupra RFL is even higher sitll. You will pick up an FR TSi for less than and FR TDi, Cupra values seem to be a little less than FR TDi's as well.

Big thing the Cupra has is better brakes, FR TSi has more stopping power than the FR TDi but not as much as the Cupra

Sadly in the next four months will be going back to a more sedate derv estate due to a dog and third child on the way, need more boot space but will miss my FR TSi. Pretty much the best and most reliable car I have owned, better than my various BM's I have owned as well! It is still such a hoot to drive enthusiastically but then an effotrless cruiser as well :D

TrophyJem

Jul 9, 2012
If you drive the FR TSI DSG like it wants to be driven you ain't going to get over 30 MPG
I don't! Fun though!

allman45

allman45
Jan 29, 2009
Newcastle
If your going to do it mate get the Cupra, they are so much better. If you don't it will always be in the back of your mind that yours isn't as good.

Your commute isn't too bad with it being all motorway, drive like a granny to work but enjoy it when you can. A cheeky stage 1 map and you feel like your riding sea biscuit!

I'm personally of the opinion that petrols are pretty much unbeatable off the mark, but at motorway cruising you can't argue with the in gear power/torque of the diesel, 50 to 70 mph is absolutely effortless and you still return good MPG.

Not in the 1.6 tdi I had for the past week, at 50mph you needed to drop it down to 4th, only from 65 upwards did it start to pull in 5th. Mpg wise, driving it hard 56mpg, sensibly 63mpg that was over a 14 mile mixed traffic route. Back roads saw 68.1 mpg, over the 14 mile route a vw up 75pswas more efficient, 59mpg if you revved the nuts off and 66mpg driven carefully. I never got chance to give it a run. The up was actually quicker than the tdi, my cupra averages 29mpgover the 14 miles and I've never seen above 36mpg. I'd still prefer it to a diesel though.

Feb 25, 2009
Rotherham/Leeds
Not in the 1.6 tdi I had for the past week, at 50mph you needed to drop it down to 4th, only from 65 upwards did it start to pull in 5th. Mpg wise, driving it hard 56mpg, sensibly 63mpg that was over a 14 mile mixed traffic route. Back roads saw 68.1 mpg, over the 14 mile route a vw up 75pswas more efficient, 59mpg if you revved the nuts off and 66mpg driven carefully. I never got chance to give it a run. The up was actually quicker than the tdi, my cupra averages 29mpgover the 14 miles and I've never seen above 36mpg. I'd still prefer it to a diesel though.

Not particularly a fair comparison to the FR diesel though, and the Up is a much, smaller and lighter car so again not much of a comparison there.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members