2.0 TSI APR stage 2

Benjic2

Aug 29, 2011
Just to note I do not want this turning into APR vs REVO etc, I am just posting my views on my experience with the stage 2 map. I am sure Revo is just as good performance wise but I went with APR for 3 reasons:
1. Awesome GTI is only a few miles away from me and is the closest map dealer ( Not just APR )
2. APR's customer service seems to be top notch on all the forums I have seen. Revo's doesn't appear to be as good but to be fair they are not on most of the sites to defend themselves.
3. The discount. Meaning a £500+ map can be had for £300 if you are running a competitor map ( or £250 if you are running revo)

Well I was supposed to have the map uploaded last friday, but due to a few last minute problems I had to cancel.

I had been running Superchips bluefin stage 1 for quite a while, and being my first remap I was very impressed by the way the car pulled effortlessly. At around 3k revs I would be pushed to the back of the seat but it died off towards the top of the rev range so I always knew the car had some more to give. The bluefin was great fun however and the ability to change between maps was a bonus.

As we all know, the desire for more power takes over and I soon found myself on my back fitting a decat downpipe on the driveway. This alone made a big difference to the performance and I could notice the power continued further up the rev range and the thump from the turbo was even greater.

I then upgraded my bluefin to stage 2 ( £50). However I had quite a lot of problems. For some reason the map didn't want to work on my car and it was making the car horrible to drive ( Flat spots, turbo surging, DSG going crazy and limp mode). To be fair superchips did absolutely everything they could to help me out, I must have tried about 8 different maps trying to sort the issue. However by this time I already had my heart set on APR. It's a shame really because most of the mk6 gti boys swear by the bluefin stg 2 and I am sure it is very good when it is working. The problems with it on my car were very strange and superchips were very confused, as this was the first case of the map not performing. They then offered me to go down to their HQ and sort it out which was good of them, but 320 miles round trip was too much for me to consider it so I had a refund. Superchips are a great company and their service is brilliant, I would not hesitate to buy another bluefin map for furture cars and my experience of stg 2 is certainly a one off. Infact I persuaded my dad to buy one for his XFS :p

So this brings me to the APR stg 2. I went down to awesome gti to have the work carried out after I re arranged a date for today ( well yesterday). The process didn't take very long, as I found out when I heard my car screaming out the gates as the mechanic took it for a "check" ( Yeah right, a racing lap of the industrial estate more like :rolleyes: ) Anyway I was handed the keys back and asked to read the APR Owners manual. It outlines the functions that can be controlled by the cruise control stalk such as different maps ( Stock, 95 ron, 98 ron and Valet maps) , Anti theft mode etc , which is simply fantastic.

After a couple of minutes I fired her up and the exhaust note was distinctively deeper, or meaner if you like. I popped it straight into sport mode and left the unit. Instantly I could feel the power without even going fast. I turned onto the main road and booted it... WOW is all I can say, it is instant acceleration all the way up to red line! :shock: It delivers the power so smoothly but rapidly at the same time. You are firmly planted in the seat until you let off. The bluefin stage 1 felt so tame compared to the APR. So all I can say is a massive thumbs up to the guys at APR, my car feels truely awesome now and you people with stage 2 cupra's at 360hp etc must be crazy! Unfortunatly I didn't have time to get it RR'd but going on the mk6 gti boys I estimate ~ 290hp which is way enough for me... for now....:smoke: It is worrying that a few seconds on the throttle and you can be doing very silly speeds.

On the way home I had the usuals trying to race me... I have never seen a type R disappear so fast in my rear view mirror haha! Then a clio 182 tried to have a go but he was quickly embarrassed too.

I would absolutley recommend this to anyone with a 2.0 TSI or TFSI for that matter.

The only downside is I have gone through £35 worth of vpower tonight :lol:

A few questions though:
1.I am pretty sure I have a leak on my downpipe somewhere as I can smell fumes in the cabin at times. Will this have an effect on performance atall? ( Not that I want it any faster at the minute!)
2. I have the EML on the dash... I thought the APR map coded this out? Is it something to worry about?

Thanks !!! :)

Last edited:

fireblade929

Jul 11, 2010
Cleethorpes
I have a cupra at stage 2+ , when I fitted the full exhaust with no map the eml light came on all the time, once the apr map was put on the car it has never come back on, sounds to me like you have another fault. Btw when I had the map I got awesome to replace the plugs for some cooler ones, hope this helps.

splinter_cdo

Apr 25, 2010
I have the apr 3" downpipe and am looking at getting there HPFP then a stage 2 or go stage 1 then HPFP later but I am going all out apr as they are good with ppl and knocked some cash off for me, it is a fair drive to them but for good kit I am up for a drive, and my car pulls so much more as soon as I put the down pipe on I was boosting higher to and my eml is on to lol

splinter_cdo

Apr 25, 2010
What sort of power would I be looking at with a stage 2 with HPFP 3" down pipe and forge twin intake.

Cupra R

Dec 5, 2001
UK.
Visit site
The EML light is probably due to your Decat. Check with APR if there stg 2 code does indeed omit the EML for emissions. I know their stg 2+ does.

Also, be aware of (unless this has been addressed, again check with APR) that the security function can/could be accidentally enabled whilst using cruise control IF you don't lock your ECU.

Once happened to me, was cruising down the motorway and suddenly EML light started flashing.

As for your smell, I doubt from your DP, you heard it blowing if it were severe enough to be filling the cabin with fumes.

Jan 1, 2006
Sheffield
Stage1 is 320-325 so anything above that

With which mods? I'm struggling to see how those figures are made on a conservative/accurate dyno with out at least an induction kit. I mean it's 80bhp from just a remap.

Most people see 300-310bhp from a Stage 1 map regardless of code.

Stage 2 is around 340, so essentially for the price of a down pipe/full turbo back exhaust & induction kit, plus new code you're only going to see an ext 20bhp? :blink:

Stage 2+ / APR Stage 3 (as above with HPFP & larger core intercooler) is likely to return around 350-370 depending on hardware and dyno.

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
With which mods? I'm struggling to see how those figures are made on a conservative/accurate dyno with out at least an induction kit. I mean it's 80bhp from just a remap.

Most people see 300-310bhp from a Stage 1 map regardless of code.

Stage 2 is around 340, so essentially for the price of a down pipe/full turbo back exhaust & induction kit, plus new code you're only going to see an ext 20bhp? :blink:

Stage 2+ / APR Stage 3 (as above with HPFP & larger core intercooler) is likely to return around 350-370 depending on hardware and dyno.

APR Stage1 made 324 on Maha Dyno - A LCR 265 - No other mods
Revo Stage1 made 322 on Dastek Dyno -BIGG Addicted's LCR 265 - No other mods (REVO's old code, Not the new stuff)

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2006
Sheffield
APR Stage1 made 324 on Maha Dyno - A LCR 265 - No other mods
Revo Stage1 made 322 on Dastek Dyno -BIGG Addicted's LCR 265 - No other mods (REVO's old code, Not the new stuff)

I stand corrected. Do the FL-Cupra & LCR have a bigger IC than the pre-fl Cupra? What kind of torque figures did you get?

I know at 300+bhp territory I'd want a bigger DP to get some of that hot air out.

So when considering Stage 2 - people are only going to see 20bhp for approx. £1500 over a no mod Stage 1? :shrug:

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
The LCR has got the "NEW" S3 Intercooler

*i think* the APR made about 320lb.ft , it wasnt my LCR (mines not been on yet, there is a rumour mine has been on and only made 290bhp but this isnt true)

The REVO one made 300lb.ft on the Dastek

Im trying to get a Downpipe now for mine, but Al Mac has advised me to get induction first

RobH

Nov 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Been through this before 300-310 is stage 1 i couldnt care less what the odd dyno figure pumps out. It doesnt fall into line with power gained from modifications of restrictive parts such as the intake. Wheel horse power is more or less the same on stage 1 across the board but figures at the fly are all over the place.

You want to believe the 325hp from stage 1 then so be it but your dreaming if you think its realistic.

Last edited:

rosshutchie

Jul 25, 2011
Sounds like your well chuffed. I can also smell a lot more fumes with the decat. Don't think I have a leak though.

Did you say to APR to map out the eml light?

Jan 1, 2006
Sheffield
The LCR has got the "NEW" S3 Intercooler

*i think* the APR made about 320lb.ft , it wasnt my LCR (mines not been on yet, there is a rumour mine has been on and only made 290bhp but this isnt true)

The REVO one made 300lb.ft on the Dastek

Im trying to get a Downpipe now for mine, but Al Mac has advised me to get induction first

I think once you go away from stock hardware it's like a domino effect! More air generally means more fuel (i.e. Intake = HPFP) then to get the flow of air out of the turbo you'll need a larger bore DP. I think this is why people see modding as addictive. It's more of a knock on effect than an addiction.

The early Cupras and ED30s were generally making 300-310. Looks like the FL cars are making a little more power at Stage 1. I'd be interested to know what this is attributed to and how safe it is running that power and in turn that heat with no mods. Not sure if the gains are all the way up the range. My car made 305bhp at GIAC Stage 1.

Jan 1, 2006
Sheffield
Been through this before 300-310 is stage 1 i couldnt care less what the odd dyno figure pumps out. It doesnt fall into line with power gained from modifications of restrictive parts such as the intake. Wheel horse power is more or less the same on stage 1 across the board but figures at the fly are all over the place.

You want to believe the 325hp from stage 1 then so be it but your dreaming if you think its realistic.

LOL :rofl:

RobH

Nov 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
I think once you go away from stock hardware it's like a domino effect! More air generally means more fuel (i.e. Intake = HPFP) then to get the flow of air out of the turbo you'll need a larger bore DP. I think this is why people see modding as addictive. It's more of a knock on effect than an addiction.

The early Cupras and ED30s were generally making 300-310. Looks like the FL cars are making a little more power at Stage 1. I'd be interested to know what this is attributed to and how safe it is running that power and in turn that heat with no mods. Not sure if the gains are all the way up the range. My car made 305bhp at GIAC Stage 1.

The FL cars are more or less the same but with the S3 IC and S3's only make 300-310 on stage 1. Like i said the wheel horse power is more or less the same and thats more accurate than the calculation a dyno makes for the power at the flywheel.

Jan 1, 2006
Sheffield
A few questions though:
1.I am pretty sure I have a leak on my downpipe somewhere as I can smell fumes in the cabin at times. Will this have an effect on performance atall? ( Not that I want it any faster at the minute!)
2. I have the EML on the dash... I thought the APR map coded this out? Is it something to worry about?

Thanks !!! :)

Think the tread has gone slightly off topic, so let's bring it back.

I think you need to get the EML code looked at by VCDS. The Decat EML should be coded out at Stage 2 on any map. My guess is there is something else.

Sounds like the two issue may be related.

Cupra R

Dec 5, 2001
UK.
Visit site
You can't just ask for EML to be mapped out with APR or Revo for that matter. It's a generic code. It comes as part of the staged code.

The custom tuners could do it though.

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
If Awesome is only a couple of miles away I'd suggest getting back there asap to get the code read to make sure it's not something that matters.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members