just ordered my new toy

Jun 15, 2013
Not so much a bee in a bonnet but arguing a point that's entirely incorrect.

I stand by what I say. VW's billions vs man with laptop is not a realistic comparison.

Some people are always happy to spend money if they are told it will be faster, more economical etc but after spending that money how many will honestly say that it made sod all difference. One forum I am a member of had a user that actually admitted he had wasted his money, brave chap. In the following days several others joined him and the tuning company stopped posting.

Graphs on a fancy website prove nothing, dyno's can be manipulated by the operator to distort the real output.

Simply buy a car you will be happy with and enjoy. No worries about huge insurance premium increases, warranty issues and the unreliability that modifications inevitably lead to.

Jun 7, 2006
Norfolk, Norwich
are you a member of Barryboys.co.uk?? is that your reliable source??

what forum and who was the tuning company as they are clearly cowboys and know nothing.

im affraid that VWs BILLIONS they invest in a car is to build a car for a wider market i.e the nat piss fuel used in America which is like 78 RON to the 99 RON we get here.

it is widely known that a remap does increase power and if driving under normal daily conditions will improve MPG. its makes a bigger difference if the car is Diesel to Petrol.

then again maybe you are right maybe i have wasted all my money on my car and remapping it hasnt actually changed anything.... maybe remapping my car just made other cars slower. ;)

as for graphs can be manipulated that is correct infact most cost effective mod on a Dyno is a Cuppa Tea will add 70bhp if used correctly but that would then be using the dyno to standard.

Jun 15, 2013
With regard's to American fuel being poor compared to European fuel that is a well known fact. Its also a well known fact that cars manufactured for the American market have different maps from the factory, same applies to other markets as well.

I have personal experience of a remap/chip whatever you want to call it from a reputable company that is still in business. I bought a new VW Golf GTI in 1986, brilliant car. Replaced it in 1989 with an identical car but it simply did not have the grunt of the earlier one. VW had replaced the K Jetronic injection with Digifant injection, output figures were identical but the torque had moved up the rev band. Chap I used to rolling road my race car suggested I try a chip from this well known company, he was an agent and would do power runs before and after FOC. Well he fitted this miracle chip and to his embarrassment it gave an extra 2 bhp peak at the wheels (not the 12 bhp advertised) but at idle the CO reading was over 5%, MOT failure time when it was due. He removed it and charged me nothing muttering that the Astra one he had fitted the previous week had done exactly the same. Never even got to try it on the road to test if the drivability was better, if the CO's were anything to go by probably not.

So am I tempted again, not in a million years.

Jul 14, 2012
redditch
I would like to add aswell remaps make it better mpg and better response though the gears and a bit more bhp as we all no but the reason vw dont release them like this is because of insurance groups, crash ratings change due to engine performance and acceleration and they design there cars to run on fuel from usa basically water lmao

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

J400uk

Jan 7, 2010
London, UK
They don't sell the same models in the USA etc the engines are tuned and designed differently to suit the local market. Remapping can yield good results but there is ultimately some risk attached and its not something I'd personally do on a new car

Jun 7, 2006
Norfolk, Norwich
other than the stiffer doors i thought the mk6 was identical but hey might be wrong.

1989 remapping to todays standard are a little off that would be like me comparing a Penny Fathing to my new Giant MTB the comparison is no contest.

skidpad go get a trail done on your car trust me you will be amazed!!!

CJRamze

Proud Seat Owner
Jun 29, 2008
Caldicot, South Wales
Skidpan.
I dont doubt that VW spend millions on R&D.
They build cars however for the mass market, You could use your very vague and wide ecompassing argument on anything.

"Dont change the suspension, They've spent millions developing that. Some bloke in his garage wont be able to create BETTER suspension."

Its total tripe, They built a generic map, to suit all weather conditions and all fuel grades across Europe and its surrounding nations. As such the car is limited for reliability and other reasons.

Revo/APR and other major players in the tuning world are not "A man in a garage" and I think they'd probably find your comments stupid and quite offensive.

Dealerships now offer remaps off the forecourt, so either the remap slows other people down, Or it is infact enhancing the performance of my car.

So you have someone vouch that their remap didn't enhance their car, either their entertaining you because your clearly mad, or they had a shitty remap that didn't work!

GrahamFR

Now AMG Powered
Dec 10, 2008
Barnsley or Burton
Skidpan you can't come on here saying that remaps are carp with your experience being over 24years old. That's like saying youd never buy an Xbox as you played an Atari once and didn't like it!?

Jun 15, 2013
39 years of owning cars tells me that before I buy I make sure that I am getting exactly what I want. The only time I have not test driven a new car was when I changed form the 86 GTI Golf to the 89 GTI Golf. Didn't think there would be any need, same car, WRONG. I kept the 89 GTI for 7 years and did 113,000 miles in it but the lack of flexibility was still there when I sold it.

When I bought the Mk 3 1.4 TSI Leon I got a 1 hour test drive, the usual 10 minutes ones are a waste of time. If I had been unhappy with it I would have waited to try a 1.8 TSI or even possibly tried the 150 PS diesel. If I had been in anyway unsure about buying one I would have walked away. The last thing I would have done was thought "well its not bad but the bloke who advertises in What Chip Magazine says he can make it better than VW" thus I would have spend the best part of £18000 + the remap and what do I get, possible problems, no backup and no warranty.

But I made sure the car was exactly what I wanted before I bought it, that way no need to meddle and life stays simple.

J400uk

Jan 7, 2010
London, UK
The 140 TSI suits the Mk3 exceptionally well, I loved the one I tried out. I don't think that particular engine warrants or needs any kind of remapping. I think the fact a previous 118d owner says its nicer to drive speaks in volume!

robdf2

Yellow is the best
Feb 21, 2006
location , location
I stand by what I say. VW's billions vs man with laptop is not a realistic comparison.

Some people are always happy to spend money if they are told it will be faster, more economical etc but after spending that money how many will honestly say that it made sod all difference. One forum I am a member of had a user that actually admitted he had wasted his money, brave chap. In the following days several others joined him and the tuning company stopped posting.

Graphs on a fancy website prove nothing, dyno's can be manipulated by the operator to distort the real output.

Simply buy a car you will be happy with and enjoy. No worries about huge insurance premium increases, warranty issues and the unreliability that modifications inevitably lead to.

skidpan,
you have no idea what you are talking about
before you judge have a test drive in a mapped leon or vw golf gti

when you have done that then come back here and post
but in the mean time keep your useless negative comments to yourself unless you have something constructive to say.
plus you owe the op an apology for ruining his thread.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members