Top speed

daniel575

Apr 2, 2014
Checked around a bit (used search) and I don't think we have a max speed thread yet?

Well, let's go... list your exact model and bring it on.

Mine is a 2013 SE, 1.6 TDI 77 kW (105 PS). Manual. Did nearly 120k km / 75k miles so far.

According to the book max speed is 192 kph - 119 mph.
Actually, however, I managed 212 kph - 131 mph on the Autobahn once (on a level road - not downhill). It does take forever to accelerate beyond 190, but it does.

I've only done it a couple of times - hit 200 a few times more, but usually I do around 160-180 on the Autobahn (where the law and circumstances - traffic, weather etc - allow).

I'm not really into fast driving per se, it's just a means of getting from A to B and to do it quite fast (but safe). Still, I hope nobody will get mad at me when I admit I do secretly enjoy it... :whistle:

JACUPRA280

Jun 18, 2015
Somewhere
Checked around a bit (used search) and I don't think we have a max speed thread yet?

Well, let's go... list your exact model and bring it on.

Mine is a 2013 SE, 1.6 TDI 77 kW (105 PS). Manual. Did nearly 120k km / 75k miles so far.

According to the book max speed is 192 kph - 119 mph.
Actually, however, I managed 212 kph - 131 mph on the Autobahn once (on a level road - not downhill). It does take forever to accelerate beyond 190, but it does.

I've only done it a couple of times - hit 200 a few times more, but usually I do around 160-180 on the Autobahn (where the law and circumstances - traffic, weather etc - allow).

I'm not really into fast driving per se, it's just a means of getting from A to B and to do it quite fast (but safe). Still, I hope nobody will get mad at me when I admit I do secretly enjoy it... :whistle:

My Cupra 280 is de-limited, I had a company remove it.

I've got it to 166mph on a private runway.

daniel575

Apr 2, 2014
69.9mph. And I can guess where this thread will end up.....:)

Why, because it encourages speeding? Well, for the record, in the UK, I drive 71 mph on motorways (72 when I'm in a hurry sometimes), 30-31 mph in town and 22 in 20-zones. I've done 75k in this car and 10k in other cars and have never had a single speeding ticket. I never consciously exceeded the max speed anywhere (except within tolerance limits).

In Germany you're allowed those speeds on most Autobahn stretches still (though not quite everywhere) - so what's the problem with that? I happen to have such a stretch of Autobahn 30 km from my house. :happy:

daniel575

Apr 2, 2014
Call me stupid, but I have no idea what you mean. I guess neither - I planted my right foot and used my eyes. The speedo reached just a tick above 170 before I ran out of runway. So around 166mph I believe.

Timed = measured by (external) devices.
Indicated = what you see on your own display/speedometer.

That's what I think anyway, I'm not into racing either. :) So in your case, indicated.

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
Why, because it encourages speeding? Well, for the record, in the UK, I drive 71 mph on motorways (72 when I'm in a hurry sometimes), 30-31 mph in town and 22 in 20-zones. I've done 75k in this car and 10k in other cars and have never had a single speeding ticket. I never consciously exceeded the max speed anywhere (except within tolerance limits).

In Germany you're allowed those speeds on most Autobahn stretches still (though not quite everywhere) - so what's the problem with that? I happen to have such a stretch of Autobahn 30 km from my house. :happy:

I've no problem, just from experience these type of threads usually descend into inane willy waving , and end up in the bin.

dieselface

Jul 1, 2010
Where's buzz when you need him? Need a new speedo.

Those who have been mk2 members for a while will remember. Best thread on here ever.

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
Where's buzz when you need him? Need a new speedo.

Those who have been mk2 members for a while will remember. Best thread on here ever.

TO INFINITY ..... AND BEYOND!!!!!
That was a classic. Ranks with the 'my mates a getaway driver ' one .....

Julian1977

Jan 28, 2015
I do 79 mph on motorway on occasions. That's because this is the limit you don't get a ticket... 10% over the limit plus 2mph.:lol:

Last edited:

Snah

Jul 7, 2014
Netherlands
163 mph GPS indicated on the German Autobahn (hitting the speed limiter), but one can't drive that fast for long because of the traffic pulling suddenly in front of you even on a six lane Autobahn.
So it very rare to establish that speed but cruising at 120 mph is very well possible when the traffic allows it.

Last edited:

hilly81

Apr 28, 2014
Little Sutton
I do 79 mph on motorway on occasions. That's because this is the limit you don't get a ticket... 10% over the limit plus 2mph.:lol:

Apart from that not being completely true. Generally this tends to be the case but it can differ from force to force at the top police officer (superintendent??) discretion. Source: the fella doing the speed awareness course when I got done.

Fmxvxx

Dec 21, 2014
highest I've ever managed was 148 indicated around the milbrook bowl I'm sure it could of gone faster not sure I'll ever get another chance to find out though

daniel575

Apr 2, 2014
Apart from that not being completely true. Generally this tends to be the case but it can differ from force to force at the top police officer (superintendent??) discretion. Source: the fella doing the speed awareness course when I got done.

LOL! Yes, in the UK I read it varies between regions. Some regions will get you done for 72 mph, others for 79 mph. And that's not published anywhere - and it could change at any time.

Combined with the crazy UK points system, I just stick to the limits in the UK. Not worth risking bans or higher insurance premiums. I still have a UK licence, by the way (and drive in the UK regularly - with my UK Leon with Dutch plates :) ).
In the Netherlands it's the cost of the fines that make me stick to it. Speeing tickets here are extremely expensive. Speeding by 10 mph will cost about 160 GBP, converted.

Julian1977

Jan 28, 2015

That's what I read on the interne, but thanks for clarifying. At least you paid more attention to the course than I did.

hilly81

Apr 28, 2014
Little Sutton
That's what I read on the interne, but thanks for clarifying. At least you paid more attention to the course than I did.

No worries. There were people on my course who got done for doing 33 in a 30 and they queried the 10% +2 thing and were roundly told to totally disregard that as in reality it tends to not be the case.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.