Leon FR Dash Rattle (Not Under Warranty As Over 6 Months Old?!)

Rob66

Apr 25, 2004
UK
SEAT are cheeky Monkeys surely they should be looking at this for free as its within 3 years, and if nothing else as goodwill (and they know its a known fault).

I had a problem a couple of years ago with the paint on out Ibiza (it was really thin on the bumper corner. Looked like it had worn away. I am OCD when it comes to cleaning and must admit did notice it from day one but as the dealer we purchased it from is 200 miles away and it was hardly visible I thought I would leave it till the first service (local SEAT dealer). But as I had left it 12months (just over) they said it wasn’t covered by SEAT Warranty. I complained but they wouldn’t budge. The supplying dealer would have done it free of charge but Sussex to Lowestoft was a but difficult at the time with work etc.

Not happy at all as quite obviously a manufacturing fault.

In the end I got it repainted at the local Chips Away site and they just painted the very corner edge, cost very very little, perfect match and completely invisible – did a great job. But I was not happy with the SEAT dealer’s attitude and haven’t used them since for Servicing etc on either car so they have lost a few quid from me.

Really hope you get your rattle sorted out.

Mk3 Se

Dec 1, 2015
I had a problem a couple of years ago with the paint on out Ibiza (it was really thin on the bumper corner. Looked like it had worn away. I am OCD when it comes to cleaning and must admit did notice it from day one but as the dealer we purchased it from is 200 miles away and it was hardly visible I thought I would leave it till the first service (local SEAT dealer). But as I had left it 12months (just over) they said it wasn’t covered by SEAT Warranty. I complained but they wouldn’t budge.

My first thoughts were Ibiza's (all Seat's in truth) are covered by a 3 year paint warranty and not a 12 month one.

Pasted from the Seat website:

"you’ll be covered with a three-year paintwork warranty "

and

"a member of the SEAT authorised service network (regardless of whether they were the original supplying dealer or not) will carry out work that is required under the warranty free of charge"

But you may have brought this on yourself as the warranty goes on to say:

"The defect must be reported to a member of the SEAT authorised network as soon as it’s discovered."

By delaying informing them until the first service you probably saved them a nice bit of cash.

Rob66

Apr 25, 2004
UK
Very true, I think their get out was..

"The defect must be reported to a member of the SEAT authorised network as soon as it’s discovered."

As i didn't let them know straight away, as it was so minor - still a bit annoying though, but we live and learn ;)

Ian E

Nov 30, 2015
Thanks again all for the replies.

When I booked my car in for Service I asked them to look at the rattle at the same time (I didn't mention that it had rattled since I had owned the car). They immediately said it wasn't covered due to it being over 6 months old - hence me going to Seat UK. I am not one for making a special visit to a Dealer for a minor issue - although in future I will be knocking on their door straight away if anything else goes wrong.

Green Mamba

Feb 22, 2008
Warwickshire
I get concerned over how much stealerships push this "Wear and Tear" not covered by the warranty nonsense, somethings should just not break. I had a tyre valve pin stick in once, they considered that wear and tear, how often do you push the pin to top it up, said it would have been at least £20 to look at it. It's just not helpful nor confidence building in what you are protected over.

I took it back to the ATS Euromaster I had last had new tyres from, they just changed the valve core and fixed it in less than a minute, refused my offer to pay him something for it!

I used a variation of the sponge trick in the corner where the windscreen meets the dashboard and door pillar. It was rattling like mad but now there is a small bit of foam nicely wedged in there to stop it.

Just need to get some cream / white foam to replace it so it blends in better.

When I first got my MK3 FR second hand, I wondered why there were black sticky foam bits stuck in the corner, one day I took them out, I then realised what it was for. :happy:

Last edited:

Jimlad86

Mar 30, 2010
Gloucestershire
When I first got my MK3 FR second hand, I wondered why there were black sticky foam bits stuck in the corner, one day I took them out, I then realised what it was for. :happy:

The exact same thing happened to me! I peeled it off thinking it was a random thing left over from the previous owner!

It must be a official seat "Fix"!

Now i need to find some more as i chucked it away.

Do you have something wedged in there again?

dephead2004

Aug 3, 2013
You are correct it is the official fix. But I found that some foam pushed further down and along the lip of the end of the pillar trim was more effective. The trims pop off. Just watch out for the speaker wire

Jimlad86

Mar 30, 2010
Gloucestershire
You are correct it is the official fix. But I found that some foam pushed further down and along the lip of the end of the pillar trim was more effective. The trims pop off. Just watch out for the speaker wire

Any chance of a picture of where you have wedged it? My rattles are dampened but not completely gone.

Ian E

Nov 30, 2015
I will have a look on mine for the foam.

Are all Leon Mk3 like this? or did they sort them after a certain date? (mine is March 2014)

Mk3 Se

Dec 1, 2015
Mine was manufactured Feb-March 2013 (must have been one of the first in the country) and so far has been rattle free.

dephead2004

Aug 3, 2013
Any chance of a picture of where you have wedged it? My rattles are dampened but not completely gone.

If you remove the trim, you'll see the dash end is L shaped and locks over another L on the dash itself. That's where to run the foam

Villers

Billy Villain
Apr 12, 2014
Cumbria
www.horizonwatches.com
Its issues like this, and the attitude of SEAT that have convinced me not to return for another car and definately not recommend one to a friend. Blind loyalty and pride aside, surely those of you resorting to ghetto repairs on nearly new cars feel the same??

Ian E

Nov 30, 2015
Its issues like this, and the attitude of SEAT that have convinced me not to return for another car and definately not recommend one to a friend. Blind loyalty and pride aside, surely those of you resorting to ghetto repairs on nearly new cars feel the same??

Agreed - Couldn't have put it better myself! Back to Ford next time :)

andrewpain

Jul 5, 2014
Meppershall Beds.
if my dealer weren't so helpful I'd be inclined to agree, but they've been terrific from my first visit. No complaints.
My E class had a rattle for months and it wasn't fixed until the 4th attempt. Plus recalls, faults, sat nav lock-ups.
and it cost twice as much as the Leon ST...
But nobody goes on a forum and says "Mines fine, thank you" - most of us on here have had a bee in our bonnet and this is where we let off steam or see if anyone has the same, and if they fixed it, and how.
I'm strongly considering the SUV Leon when it comes out next year, rather than the Tiguan.
Or having my knees done. One of those things, anyway....

Villers

Billy Villain
Apr 12, 2014
Cumbria
www.horizonwatches.com
If it was just rattles it would be fine. Ive got rattles, been in three times for the doors and dash. Ive also got a seemingly unresolvable headlight issue. Ive had issues with the entertainment unit locking up. I have creaky windows, they sound like sandpaper going up and down. I have an undiagnosed clunk from the rear which varies between constant and sporadic depending on the road. The rain runs off the car and into the boot when opened and the same for the back seats. As the weatjer is colder I often have to start my car twice in the morning to fix the headlight levelling. Don't get me started on the ridiculous level of road noise from these things either. Badly designed, badly built and seemingly badly supported. Why would I recommend anyone spending 20k on these cars? Unless Im just being dramatic and continuous ballaches are part and parcel when parting with good money?

Ian E

Nov 30, 2015
Haha, just trading in my 14 Fiesta 1.0Ecoboost will miss the quickclear, and handling!!

Yes the QuickClears screens on the Fords are ace. I don't think you will be disapointed with the handling on the Leon - impressed with mine.

Last edited:
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.