Front Parking Sensors and Optical Display

DANFR180

Feb 8, 2016
Those who are not planning on rejecting the car, what sort of compensation are you getting / looking for ?

servicepoint

Jan 30, 2016
Those who are not planning on rejecting the car, what sort of compensation are you getting / looking for ?

Had a long discussion with Seat yesterday and have to say the seemed genuinely interested in trying to resolve the issue. They were going to contact the dealer today and get back to me next week so I'll see what they offer.

I've been driving the wife's polo Gti the last couple of days and quite enjoyed it, I don't really need anything bigger and depending on the delivery time or what's available in stock this might be an option. I could go 3 door, met paint, DSG and some other options and still be less than the dtd deal for the Leon.

I'd be interested to know what others think would be fair compensation.. 3 years free servicing, £600, £500, £400?

Last edited:

DANFR180

Feb 8, 2016
my wife has a polo GT and its an absolutely great car, but just too small to live with daily for me, leg room etc

not sure what we should be expecting really for compensation, guess its down to the individual and how much it bothers you but I think seat are only offering £100 and a free service at this stage

servicepoint

Jan 30, 2016
my wife has a polo GT and its an absolutely great car, but just too small to live with daily for me, leg room etc

not sure what we should be expecting really for compensation, guess its down to the individual and how much it bothers you but I think seat are only offering £100 and a free service at this stage

Is that over and above what the dealer offers?
I was quite clear I wouldn't accept £100.. a service on top of that won't swing it.
What would you accept?

niggle

Rollin' on 17s, baby!
Jan 28, 2014
Huddersfield, West Yorkshire
The OP has my deepest sympathy but I am not at all surprised that he finds himself in this situation.

We had similar issues two years ago. We ordered our FR with a factory 5 year warranty which must be applied by the dealer before the car is first registered in the UK. It took SEAT UK over three weeks to arrange delivery from Tynemouth Docks to the supplying dealer's premises. In the end the dealer sent a driver up with a LandRover and trailer and hauled it back themselves. Then the dealer failed to register the extended warranty ...

I was fobbed off with stories about paperwork for the extended warranty only being issued when the original three year warranty had expired and then that an aftermarket warranty would be provided after three years.

It took months of constant approaches to the dealer, SEAT UK and VW Finance before the issue was finally resolved, but not before the Financial Ombudsman and my Solicitor had been involved.

The option was to take the car back and provide an identically specced new car with the factory extended warranty properly applied or £3,000 compensation in cash. They coughed up £3,000 in the end.

Don't settle for a measly £100 or a free service in lieu of the front parking sensors. They are taking the piss.

Peter55

Jan 20, 2016
Hexham
Had a long discussion with Seat yesterday and have to say the seemed genuinely interested in trying to resolve the issue. They were going to contact the dealer today and get back to me next week so I'll see what they offer.

I've been driving the wife's polo Gti the last couple of days and quite enjoyed it, I don't really need anything bigger and depending on the delivery time or what's available in stock this might be an option. I could go 3 door, met paint, DSG and some other options and still be less than the dtd deal for the Leon.

I'd be interested to know what others think would be fair compensation.. 3 years free servicing, £600, £500, £400?

Ive also had quite an encouraging conversation with Seat, so although I've cancelled and ordered a Golf Match Edition which I've got another 12 weeks to wait for, I'm reasonable hopeful on a resolution. They will be contacting me after my holiday

Meanwhile I'm enjoying driving a Jeep something or other in the Florida highways

gletts

GL53TTS
Jan 7, 2008
Crawley, West Sussex
I have been offered £100 + a free service, OR they will retrofit parking sensors at the dealers which I suspect will be aftermarket ones and therefore not with the optical display.

As my car is a contract hire car, so I won't be owning it, I've decided to accept the £100 + free service. If I was buying it, it would be a different matter.

I'm not actually bothered about having the front sensors, my current Exeo doesn't have them so it's not something I'll miss.

If I were to re-order the car, it's not an option I would choose, and it would be more expensive, which is how I came to the decision.

I have made it clear to the dealer that if the REAR sensors aren't fitted and working (with or without the optical display), then that would not be acceptable - but I believe that the rear sensors aren't affected by this issue - maybe someone on here could clarify.

SEAT themselves were unable to clarify regarding the rear sensors - my car is currently in transit to the UK.

Tripod

Mar 5, 2016
Updated by dealer yesterday.

Seat UK have agreed to pay for sensors to be fitted and programmed for the optical display.

They have supplied the part numbers and on Monday they will be ordered and I should have an idea on delivery time to the dealer.

The dealer Has no idea when I will have my car back.

He has been brilliant so far but we have not discussed compensation and I've set a deadline for for me to have the car back to me and to be fully satisfied of 29th April or I will reject the car entirely and order again elsewhere.

And obviosuly the 'compensation' package will have to be sorted prior to this.

Very interested in what others are being offered.

servicepoint

Jan 30, 2016
i don't want the sensors fitted, I don't trust the technicians to not mess up the head unit. Pretty sure the dealer would prefer straight compensation rather than ordering and fitting sensors.

Peter55

Jan 20, 2016
Hexham
i don't want the sensors fitted, I don't trust the technicians to not mess up the head unit. Pretty sure the dealer would prefer straight compensation rather than ordering and fitting sensors.

I think I would except fitted sensors and a working optical display as long as they all carried a full Seat Warranty (not just a dealer one)

As for compensation, anything would be nice, just to cover all the stress of this ridiculous situation

pburv

Jan 18, 2015
Updated by dealer yesterday.

Seat UK have agreed to pay for sensors to be fitted and programmed for the optical display.

They have supplied the part numbers and on Monday they will be ordered and I should have an idea on delivery time to the dealer.

The dealer Has no idea when I will have my car back.

He has been brilliant so far but we have not discussed compensation and I've set a deadline for for me to have the car back to me and to be fully satisfied of 29th April or I will reject the car entirely and order again elsewhere.

And obviosuly the 'compensation' package will have to be sorted prior to this.

Very interested in what others are being offered.
Could you clarify that Seat have said they could fit the sensors with optical display..My dealer has stated they are unable to fit the front sensors with optical display..All they have offered is £500 discount paint protection a few Seat branded goodies a set of mats and front sensors fitted free of charge without optical display...Could you possibly post documented details of the offer to fit front sensors with optical display...many thanks Paul..:D

DANFR180

Feb 8, 2016
Is that £500 cash / discount & the front sensors plus the discount on paint protection and the other accessories ? That's not a bad offer really ? So far I've only been offered £100 and a free service or front sensors fitted but not OEM and not optical.:wtf:

Tripod

Mar 5, 2016
Could you clarify that Seat have said they could fit the sensors with optical display..My dealer has stated they are unable to fit the front sensors with optical display..All they have offered is £500 discount paint protection a few Seat branded goodies a set of mats and front sensors fitted free of charge without optical display...Could you possibly post documented details of the offer to fit front sensors with optical display...many thanks Paul..:D

That's what he's told me. Genuine parts, fitted and the optical display will be as factory.

I know it can be done as there are a few companies on the Internet that advertise OEM stuff to work with the display.

I have told him in no uncertain terms that I will ONLY accept sensors that look, sound and work as per the factory ones and are warrantied by Seat and not just the dealer.

He's confident I will be satisfied.

And at the moment because I have rejected the car it is sitting as a debt on his books. I haven't paid a penny as yet so he is keen to sort it quickly and satisfactorily.

Tripod

Mar 5, 2016
If your dealers says it can't be done show him this link and ask him for his comments.
I've Spoken to them and they seems professional and confident. They were amazed to hear some dealers saying it cant be done.

Put a www in front of it

poollretrofits.com/seat_optical_parking_sensors_front_rear_retrofit/[/url]

pburv

Jan 18, 2015
Is that £500 cash / discount & the front sensors plus the discount on paint protection and the other accessories ? That's not a bad offer really ? So far I've only been offered £100 and a free service or front sensors fitted but not OEM and not optical.:wtf:

Yes Dan £500 discount and paint protection and front sensors without optical free of charge....Oh and the Seat goodies:shrug:

pburv

Jan 18, 2015
If your dealers says it can't be done show him this link and ask him for his comments.
I've Spoken to them and they seems professional and confident. They were amazed to hear some dealers saying it cant be done.

Put a www in front of it

poollretrofits.com/seat_optical_parking_sensors_front_rear_retrofit/[/url]

Thanks Tripod I have been on that site and yes like you said it can be done...I am trying to persuade the dealer to sort out proper sensors but finding it difficult as I have accepted their offer as stated in the above post...:confused:

Tripod

Mar 5, 2016
Thanks Tripod I have been on that site and yes like you said it can be done...I am trying to persuade the dealer to sort out proper sensors but finding it difficult as I have accepted their offer as stated in the above post...:confused:

Have you taken delivery or 'accepted' the car yet?

If not simply tell him it's optical and the package it you won't take it.
Depends how 'loyal' you are. But as anyone will tell you, as soon as you drive off and the sale is done 99% of dealers have no loyalty to you as a customer.

Play hard ball.

pburv

Jan 18, 2015
Have you taken delivery or 'accepted' the car yet?

If not simply tell him it's optical and the package it you won't take it.
Depends how 'loyal' you are. But as anyone will tell you, as soon as you drive off and the sale is done 99% of dealers have no loyalty to you as a customer.

Play hard ball.

I'm afraid we have already taken delivery...:cry:

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.