MK3 Leon Cupra R - rumour and speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
I'm struggling to see where they'll go with an R.

The previous version sold poorly, despite being 'good' (total sales of 340 vs >3800 mk1)

Looking at the VW range, the 2.0 seems maxxed out currently at 300bhp... so what engine will they nab? The demand surely won't be sufficient to develop a new engine based on prior sales performance.

I want to look forward to it, but unless something surfaces from VW with a bigger output soon I can't see it happening... Afterall, for >300bhp audi went 5 pot

andycupra

status subject to change
think they have finished with upgrades on the MK3
they could only really go with changes to the looks, power-wise they have done what they will and another engine simply wont be happening if you consider overall strategy of the VAG group.

sadly looks like an electronic handbrake will be fitted...

Last edited:

Syphon

Site Owner
Staff member
Feb 28, 2002
South West
www.seatcupra.net
There was no Ibiza R run out model on this generation. Suspect the Leon might be the same. Also the new pending Cupra 300 apart from having an R badge is going to be a stonking car. R would probably only add bling and SEAT don't want the max power look. We have had some nice options on the 280 and 290 as well.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Crafoo

Crazy Fool!
Apr 30, 2005
At home
All interesting points of view with sound reasoning. I loved my mk2 R and although i know for whatever reason it didn't sell in high numbers, for me that added to its appeal, obviously though that's not good for business. Seat never really seem to know what they are doing when it comes to R cars. It was my understanding that they introduced the FR years ago to do away with an R by essentially making the FR kind of a Cupra and then the Cupra would be the range topper, but then they did the MK2 R and all bets were off again. I guess i was just hoping they'd pull something out of the hat that offered a few exclusive extras and a couple of extra ponies, but from what you guys have said it doesn't sound very likely.

Sent from my LG-G4 using Tapatalk

dieselface

Jul 1, 2010
There was no Ibiza R run out model on this generation. Suspect the Leon might be the same. Also the new pending Cupra 300 apart from having an R badge is going to be a stonking car. R would probably only add bling and SEAT don't want the max power look. We have had some nice options on the 280 and 290 as well.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I was pretty much thinking this yesterday. No real need for R badging when the 280/290 and 300 are good sales tag lines. I don't think it'll be a miss.

Additionally they have the Sub8 brand to promote the harder version of the model which is add on and not a low volume stand alone variant that needs to go through full homologation in each market.

devJORD

OBD11 Wizard
Nov 14, 2014
Could you imagine a Leon Cupra with Audis 5cyl from the Audi RS3?

79af6b3bc5b23131ace1d835c402fa444ebd7cfc574c6b040665280337e74d7e.jpg

Deleted member 103408

posted in error

Last edited by a moderator:

Love-Cupra

Jul 29, 2016
Netherlands
Lcr ?

I was pretty much thinking this yesterday. No real need for R badging when the 280/290 and 300 are good sales tag lines. I don't think it'll be a miss.

Additionally they have the Sub8 brand to promote the harder version of the model which is add on and not a low volume stand alone variant that needs to go through full homologation in each market.

Perhaps the need will arise, as Cupra did increase slightly in price.

So if the 300 will sell less than the 290, Seat (read VW - W'burg) will perhaps feel obliged
to bring the LCR ?
Doubt even the 5 potter can fit the engine bay, also not needed as a stage 1 will give about
350Hp and if some tuner can do this I have no doubts that R&D dep. can do this safely too.
Would love the SC in R trim, with AWD to be able to use the power also when not dry.
Coming from somebody who in basis is devoted to FWD is saying a something !
But with all this specifications I do fear it will get too rich for me :lol.
Our last Dutch LCR was 310 Hp, so 350 to 370 must be a current minimun.
Sub8 is not in same ballpark as any LCR, otherwise will be same as this R-line we can
buy on the Polo/Golf and even on a SUV like Tiguan. For the factorty it will be easy money.

xSullx

Jul 16, 2012
Estonia
That's just old rumors repeated it seems, yes.
I really hope, that the Cupra R will get a manual 'box (or at least with an option of a manual 'box). That would appeal to a different customer than the Golf R and Audi (R)S3, so might be a plus for Seat.

Then again, knowing the VAG group, it's highly unlikely this will happen...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members