MK3 Leon Cupra R - rumour and speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

xSullx

Jul 16, 2012
Estonia
ST will be offered as 4wd
ST 4wd as in a Cupra or Cupra R version you mean?

I'm asking because the ST is currently already offered in 4wd in Europe (at least were I live - Estonia). But that's only for the diesels - 1.6, 2.0 (150) and 2.0 (184). The regular ST model (not talking about the Xperience here) with 4DRIVE is available with these engines already.

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
In the UK we have 4wd ST as well in the X-Perience 2.0TDI 150.

The Cupra will be offered as 4WD ST.

Cupra R is usually a roll out model (end of production) so won't be expected till prob 2019.

clericgrammaton

Oct 7, 2016
Hi guys! Does anyone have verified information about Cupra facelift?
I want to buy Cupra but I have a dilemma, buy current model or wait few months for the new one which will have AWD? and there is no information about new price list. I'm confused.

seatgraham

Feb 14, 2012
Hi guys! Does anyone have verified information about Cupra facelift?
I want to buy Cupra but I have a dilemma, buy current model or wait few months for the new one which will have AWD? and there is no information about new price list. I'm confused.

I understand that 4WD will only be an option on the ST and that orders will start in November for January delivery. I don't know whether that's officially confirmed though.

seatgraham

Feb 14, 2012
All info is from this forum. 4WD ST info is on previous page. Facelift info is from 'Leon 2016 facelift???' thread - based on Lukin's visit to local dealer. So, hopefully more than rumour and speculation.

clericgrammaton

Oct 7, 2016
I heard from many sources related to Seat that new Cupra will be introduced in January 2017 and delivery is expected in March/April. However, these info is still unverifed by Seat.

Cupra Belfast

Jun 11, 2016
Expected BHP of facelift Cupra?

So, it seems the Cupra ST will come with 4x4 post facelift. I'm guessing it'll want to take a new fastest production estate Nurburgring lap, especially since the Culbsport S has been gifted the FWD crown, which is essentially a 290 sub 8 DSG with no back seat and VW won't let that be taken. Considering that with 4x4 and the same power the ST would be slower than the current FWD offering, I'd guess there has to be a power hike coming. I saw a thread talking about the next lot of hot golfs coming with 325 bhp & a ten speed DSG, but don't know how far off that is at present. Anybody any info on this?

Edit: the 5 cylinder RS3 unit slotted into the ST would certainly have me placing an order lol

Last edited:

Cupra Belfast

Jun 11, 2016
Depends on the driver & tyres currently

so all those cupras will be beaten off the line by an estate lol...

Depends on the driver & tyres currently, I've smoked a kid in a 280 SC with my 280 ST, as he tried using launch control. Then the same with the TC off for him too, just wheel spin and then bogging down, then with the TC on, which just left him miles behind. 4x4 and he'd have beaten me, even with his leaden right foot, no doubt. Yeah the 4x4 ST will possibly be the fastest production car off the line ever to come out of Spain. It'll need extra oomph though, or it'll be slower in every other respect. That's what will be the deciding factor as to whether to bother ordering it or not.

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
Cupra 290 ST estate already holds the estate record, the 4wd version wouldn't break that.

Spoke to Jordi in September when I was at Nurburgring with him about any more records coming he has there was no plans at the moment to attempt anymore.

Cupra Belfast

Jun 11, 2016
ST Lap

Yep, hence the need for a substantial power hike if a 4x4 Leon ST were to hope to to beat it. It'd need to be a pretty big hike, when you look at how far behind the Golf R & S3 are in times (8:16 & 8:20, respectively, albeit not with 370mm 4 pot Brembos on the front). It was the 280 ST they put round. I'd guess they didn't bother putting the 290 ST round as there was no difference in it and the 280 ST, other than the infotainment upgrade & a few cosmetic details really. Interestingly the times set in the 280 SC & the 280 ST were both set in manuals. I guess the DSG being reserved for the Golf to make the leap more than marginal, and to take the wind out of the sails of all the other pretenders (Renault, Honda etc.), when they posted replies to the Leon's time? I can't imagine they'd release a new Cupra ST without aiming to beat the older model's time. Who would want to upgrade to a slower car? Perhaps I'm wrong, but without that pull, I can't see it being a tempting prospect to current Cupra owners to upgrade to.

Snah

Jul 7, 2014
Netherlands
Here a list from the Dutch Seat Forum possibly from a French Seat Website.
Only the ST will come as 4WD but also it is told the Cupra will get a 7-speed DSG:

Leon Cupra SC 2.0 TSI 300CH
Leon Cupra 300CH SC 2.0 TSI DSG
----------------------------- - -----------------
Leon Cupra 2.0 TSI 300CH
Leon Cupra 2.0 TSI DSG 300CH
-------------------- ----------------- ----------
Leon Cupra 300CH ST 2.0 TSI DSG 4DRIVE
Leon Cupra 300CH 2.0 TSI ST
Leon Cupra 300CH ST 2.0 TSI DSG

New colours:
. BLEU c0c0 AUBERGINE
. E1E1 ROUGE DESIR
. 7Y7Y BLEU ELECTRIQUE

clericgrammaton

Oct 7, 2016
SC 300 BVM: 34650 euros
SC 300 DSG: 36450 euros

5P 300 BVM: 35000 euros
5p 300 DSG: 36800 euros

ST 300 BVM: 36150 euros
ST 300 DSG: 37950 euros
ST 300 4Drive DSG: 39700 euros

So price increase of 735 Euros.

seatgraham

Feb 14, 2012
I heard from many sources related to Seat that new Cupra will be introduced in January 2017 and delivery is expected in March/April. However, these info is still unverifed by Seat.

That sounds likely. According to Autoexpress - facelift on sale from February, with Cupra arriving later. From facelift thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.
SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise