Correct MPG??

hpoolsteve

Mar 7, 2012
HARTLEPOOL
Hello guys. Just purchased a 14 plate Leon sc fr 184. Just done a long motorway journey. Does this mpg seem correct? I was expecting more.
093f03863d64731196ea5f83bb5cb701.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
Depends on traffic conditions.

On a good run I typically average around 58mpg.

Averaging 62mph on todays roads is a healthy figure !!

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
Never drove over 80mph. Just wondering if something could be wrong with the car.

I find I can outdo the cruise control every time for MPG.
Unless I'm in 50mph roadworks I almost never use the cruise control.

How are your tyre pressures ?

Miguel 7

R ST
Jan 23, 2017
Same engine,last weekend on a 200miles trip I had around 55mpg half motorway and then through the Peak District[:@]
Day to day travelling gives me around 45-48

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
As Deano says, depends on traffic conditions, and many other factors; e.g. ambient temperature, increased use of electrical components at this time of year, winter additives added to diesel fuel by manufacturers in winter to stop it 'waxing' in freezing conditions makes it less efficient. I think that if you've just got the car, you need to give it a bit longer and check your mpg over a few tankfuls of diesel over a few weeks/months of driving before assuming there might be something wrong.

When I had my mk6 Golf GTD, the fuel consumption was always noticeably lower in the colder winter months than it was during the summer; overall, low 40's in winter and high 40's in summer. When the mk7 Golf was launched I remember over on one of the Golf forums that a number of GTD owners (same engine as your car) were disappointed with the fuel consumption they were seeing during the winter months; much lower than the manufacturers published figures.

Last edited:

Curtly

Jun 5, 2015
Essex
Wasn't there another thread regarding this for the 184? The thing is it's a powerful engine and that power doesn't come for free.

niggle

Rollin' on 17s, baby!
Jan 28, 2014
Huddersfield, West Yorkshire
Hello guys. Just purchased a 14 plate Leon sc fr 184. Just done a long motorway journey. Does this mpg seem correct? I was expecting more.
093f03863d64731196ea5f83bb5cb701.jpg

Round trip or one-way. One way uphill will kill fuel consumption, as will a full complement of passengers and luggage, air-conditioning use.

Tyre fitters are the last people that I would trust to correctly inflate tyres to the correct pressure. Check your new tyre pressures with a decent gauge and don't forget that you need to use higher pressures if your car is fully loaded.

hpoolsteve

Mar 7, 2012
HARTLEPOOL
Round trip or one-way. One way uphill will kill fuel consumption, as will a full complement of passengers and luggage, air-conditioning use.

Tyre fitters are the last people that I would trust to correctly inflate tyres to the correct pressure. Check your new tyre pressures with a decent gauge and don't forget that you need to use higher pressures if your car is fully loaded.

Just me in the car. It was 186 mile each way.

Will check tyre pressures

hpoolsteve

Mar 7, 2012
HARTLEPOOL
is there a way of resetting the ECU? Is it possible for the ECU to "re-learn" fueling etc.

Obviously i dont know how the previous owner had been driving. IE use of rev range, short distance driving only etc.....

MyLeon

Jun 3, 2015
Are the 'reported' mpg figures what you are actually getting? Have manually calculated it?
There is a correction factor that can be tweaked and a previous owner may have done that if they were running a tuning box. Just a thought.

2015 Leon ST FR 184 DSG

marty_34

Apr 21, 2012
TEESSIDE
There's a way to reset the average fuel calculator on the stereo head unit it's in the settings

Last edited:

hpoolsteve

Mar 7, 2012
HARTLEPOOL
Are the 'reported' mpg figures what you are actually getting? Have manually calculated it?
There is a correction factor that can be tweaked and a previous owner may have done that if they were running a tuning box. Just a thought.

2015 Leon ST FR 184 DSG

I will need to brim the tank again to work out the "actual" figure. I can do that today. I have not topped up since then. I will have got about 440 miles out of a tank.

marty_34

Apr 21, 2012
TEESSIDE
No lights on or anything. Yes mate im in Hartlepool.

I'm a monkey hanger as well ! Don't have my Leon any more but have a golf with same engine in. When I had my Leon I was doing a 22 mile each way commute daily and found I got 450-500 to tank! Fact it's cold will knock 4/5 miles off per gallon as well plus it's winter diesel November - March

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members