New 67 Plate Leon - Rattles!

Luke_bank

Aug 11, 2017
Hi all,

I picked up my brand new shiny Leon FR just over two weeks ago. First impressions are great, it feels solidly built and a big improvement on my 2013 Leon.

However, on my drive to work today, I noticed three separate rattles, one from the boot area, one from the passenger side front door and one from the centre console towards the windscreen?

The centre console one I’ve noticed before but not the other two. Anyone had similar rattles and found the cause?

I should add that the car was covered in snow/ice which may have been rattling around but I doubt it.

Please save me from despair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mikeyh22

Oct 18, 2014
Bolton
No rattles on mine which was new last October. Drivers seat has a squeak nea4 the seatbelt clip. My last Leon did this as well.
How can you have a 68 plate car two weeks ago ? I thought the new reg came out tomorrow?

Luke_bank

Aug 11, 2017
No rattles on mine which was new last October. Drivers seat has a squeak nea4 the seatbelt clip. My last Leon did this as well.

How can you have a 68 plate car two weeks ago ? I thought the new reg came out tomorrow?

Hmm. I definitely have two/three rattles. I’ve just driven home and the one in the rear/boot area was constant. I stopped, opened and closed the rear seats, reseated the parcel shelf and firmly closed the boot, it stopped but came back again.

Maybe it’s the ice, somehow? It’s -8 here.

I absolutely hate rattles.

Good point, well made. I’ve edited the title!

yanivkoval

Jul 20, 2017
Go to the dealer and ask them to fix this !

Don’t do anything alone as long as you have your warranty !

Luke_bank

Aug 11, 2017
Go to the dealer and ask them to fix this !

Don’t do anything alone as long as you have your warranty !

I’ve been through this on my old Leon though. They make you pay £90 for an inspection. If it’s a warranty issue you get your money back, if not you lose it. Knowing my luck they’ll just say “no fault found”.

I’ve heard mechanics hate “rattle” jobs.

yanivkoval

Jul 20, 2017
Mine is also brand new FR 1.8 (two months old) started squeaking inside the cabin after cold start and a short drive, sounds were coming from under the shift shifter.

Terrible sound, like an old truck.

Tried to find the source to no avail, took apart held of the dash trim only to find that the source of this squeaking sound is not inside the cabin.

Took it to the dealer and told them that if I would have wanted an old truck I would buy an old truck, so fix it !

After an hour or so thy found the problem.

The heat shield under the car was touching some kind of screw That goes into the cabin directly from where I was hearing the sound, and when the engine moves during acc and braking it was producing this sound.

Moral of the story, take it to the dealer, it is their problem

Last edited:

Luke_bank

Aug 11, 2017
Mine is also brand new FR 1.8 (two months old) started squeaking inside the cabin after cold start and a short drive, sounds were coming from under the shift shifter.

Terrible sound, like an old truck.

Tried to find the source to no avail, took apart held of the dash trim only to find that the source of this squeaking sound is not inside the cabin.

Took it to the dealer and told them that if I would have wanted an old truck I would buy an old truck, so fix it !

After an hour or so thy found the problem.

The heat shield under the car was touching some kind of screw That goes into the cabin directly from where I was hearing the sound, and when the engine moves during acc and braking it was producing this sound.

Moral of the story, take it to the dealer, it is their problem

Interesting. Thank you.

Did you have to pay them anything to look at it? I won’t be using the dealer I got the car from as it’s miles away.

yanivkoval

Jul 20, 2017
I didn’t pay a single dime !
I was able to reproduce the problem, can reproduce yours ?

Luke_bank

Aug 11, 2017
I didn’t pay a single dime !
I was able to reproduce the problem, can reproduce yours ?

Yeah no doubt, just find a mildly bumpy bit of road and it’ll do it.

I’m sort of hoping that they’re being caused by the sheet of ice which is covering the car currently, and the little bits of ice which have broke off and are in between the seals. (Well that’s what I’m telling myself).

yanivkoval

Jul 20, 2017
Take in mind that if it is very very cold, ice and stuff like this, metal and other parts tend to shrink a little bit creating tension on other parts (meaning parts move apart from one another) And making those sounds.
Do the sound ever stop or go away even for a short while ?
Do you have a recording of the sound ?
Are the sounds loud like unbearable?

Luke_bank

Aug 11, 2017
Take in mind that if it is very very cold, ice and stuff like this, metal and other parts tend to shrink a little bit creating tension on other parts (meaning parts move apart from one another) And making those sounds.
Do the sound ever stop or go away even for a short while ?
Do you have a recording of the sound ?
Are the sounds loud like unbearable?

That may well be the case. I hope so. I’ll definitely report back when it’s a little warmer. It’s -8 here right now.

They happen when on a bumpy road surface.

If they continue after this cold snap I’ll set my GoPro up where I think they’re coming from go record it.

Not unbearable, just bloody annoying when the car is only 2 weeks old!

jezyg

Feb 21, 2003
Derby
When it is a tad warmer clean all of your door seals as dirt often gets on them and can be a cause for rattles. Often it is a rice krispie type noise when going over bumps. Quick fix and good one to eliminate...

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
I had a mk6 Golf that had a rattle from the back of the car. It was the rear seat backrest catch. Wrapping some electrical insulation tape around the metal loop that the seat back latches onto cured the problem.

If it’s your tailgate that’s rattling, it’s worth checking the rubber bump stops attached to the outside edge of the underside of your tailgate (you can see them when you open the tailgate). They need to sit flush against the little ‘bumps’ in the metal work around the tailgate opening when the tailgate’s closed. If they don’t, they might need adjusting outwards slightly (they should have a rubber thread, so giving them a slight turn anti clockwise should make them protrude a bit further and sit snug up against the ‘bumps’).

Just be aware that if the dealer starts ripping the interior of your car apart to cure creaks and rattles, it often creates more of them than you started with!

Last edited:

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
When it is a tad warmer clean all of your door seals as dirt often gets on them and can be a cause for rattles. Often it is a rice krispie type noise when going over bumps. Quick fix and good one to eliminate...

Clean with interior wipes? Thanksfully I only have 2 doors, 2 less to rattle :).

I echo other people's experience, rattles, squeaks and noises, go to the dealer (any one).

One time, there was this annoying rattle/squeak, so i booked it in for the weekend. On the morning to the dealer, the noise stopped :censored: thankfully 5 mins till reaching the dealer, it started again!

They did a good job with my doors though, but taking off door trim, and adding noodle expanding foam thing...so quiet after, plus music sounded better too!

Last edited:

surrealjam

Jan 8, 2015
The cold can definitely make for rattles. I think most of it is caused by the door seals becoming iced up and/or more brittle. I'd definitely wait till things warm up before getting anyone to rip bits apart :D

A good shout on cleaning the door seals as well as mentioned above. I just give the seals and shuts a good scrub with a microfiber cloth and good old fashioned warm, clean water. Anything you use that has products in it is likely to only attract more dirt in the future. My experience anyway...

iScoTT29

May 18, 2017
Hi all,

I picked up my brand new shiny Leon FR just over two weeks ago. First impressions are great, it feels solidly built and a big improvement on my 2013 Leon.

However, on my drive to work today, I noticed three separate rattles, one from the boot area, one from the passenger side front door and one from the centre console towards the windscreen?

The centre console one I’ve noticed before but not the other two. Anyone had similar rattles and found the cause?

I should add that the car was covered in snow/ice which may have been rattling around but I doubt it.

Please save me from despair.

I have a rattle on my 67 plate on the driver doorcard but nothing major so not bothering to get it looked at as they will probably make it worse.

A rattle from the boot area is exactly what I was experiencing for weeks and the cause of mine was the rear seat seatbelts. When I have had passengers in they have obviously used the seatbelts but not placed them back in the plastic holder thing (have no clue what you call it). So when they arent in the belt moves as you drive and rattles off the plastic however, when its seated in the plastic holder the rattle stops.

Luke_bank

Aug 11, 2017
I have a rattle on my 67 plate on the driver doorcard but nothing major so not bothering to get it looked at as they will probably make it worse.

A rattle from the boot area is exactly what I was experiencing for weeks and the cause of mine was the rear seat seatbelts. When I have had passengers in they have obviously used the seatbelts but not placed them back in the plastic holder thing (have no clue what you call it). So when they arent in the belt moves as you drive and rattles off the plastic however, when its seated in the plastic holder the rattle stops.

What plastic clips do you mean? Can you get a picture please?

Luke_bank

Aug 11, 2017
Thanks all. The rattles were still there when I drove to work earlier but the car isn’t covered in ice anymore so that rules that out. It is bitterly cold though. I’ll wait till the weather warms up and go from there. It was fine the first two weeks, I was pretty impressed.

Lmbarrett83

Sep 8, 2017
Sheffield
I’ve been through this on my old Leon though. They make you pay £90 for an inspection. If it’s a warranty issue you get your money back, if not you lose it. Knowing my luck they’ll just say “no fault found”.

I’ve heard mechanics hate “rattle” jobs.

I wasn't aware of this.. I've still got my 65 plate Leon with warranty and the dealership have offered to look into rattles without this charge.
They have actually repaired mine which were coming from the driver's side door.

Put up with it for over 6 months by turning the music up before that.

Last edited:
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.