New 67 Plate Leon - Rattles!

Nora2004

Oct 15, 2017
Scott, judging by your pic we have literally the exact same car and the same problem lol. My car is identical to yours and i have that stupid rattle. Mines coming from the passenger side door beside the B pillar. Did you ever get yours fixed?
When you hear the rattle grab ahold of the passenger front headrests and see if it goes! I too was convinced it was coming from that area, turned out to the be the sliders in the headrest! Also the top seatbelt loop, the one next to your ear sitting in the seat just flops about, I removed mine, wrapped a bit of electrical tape around the pivot section and noise gone!

Another thing to check is to open the front door, press in the rubber trim which runs down the black glossy plastic trim on the rear door and listen for it creaking! Mine were real bad as soon as the summer weather started, assuming the heat expanded the thin plastic!

And lastly, with the doors closed and you outside, press around the door frame, particularly close to where the doors meet and listen for creaking, I was astounded how bad mine were when the car was 6 month old, I mean really bad, once lubed up it sounded like a different car!

As you can tell over the last year I've pretty much eradicated every rattle and squeeks from the car, all trim removed, door cards etc all sound deadened!

Diamond123

Feb 19, 2016
When you hear the rattle grab ahold of the passenger front headrests and see if it goes! I too was convinced it was coming from that area, turned out to the be the sliders in the headrest! Also the top seatbelt loop, the one next to your ear sitting in the seat just flops about, I removed mine, wrapped a bit of electrical tape around the pivot section and noise gone!

Another thing to check is to open the front door, press in the rubber trim which runs down the black glossy plastic trim on the rear door and listen for it creaking! Mine were real bad as soon as the summer weather started, assuming the heat expanded the thin plastic!

And lastly, with the doors closed and you outside, press around the door frame, particularly close to where the doors meet and listen for creaking, I was astounded how bad mine were when the car was 6 month old, I mean really bad, once lubed up it sounded like a different car!

As you can tell over the last year I've pretty much eradicated every rattle and squeeks from the car, all trim removed, door cards etc all sound deadened!

It’s so annoying. I’ve been to my SEAT dealer twice to have it fixed. Supposedly they replace the clips behind the door plastic.

I’m near sure it’s the plastic on the door because when I’m driving I reach over the passenger side door and hold in the plastic trim and the sounds go away immediately then come back when I take my hand off it.

Il try the headrest but don’t think it’s this.

I’ve paid 17k on finance for this car through SEAT, for something that rattles like mad. Anyone had any luck asking them to refund partially for what looks like a manufacturing defect? I don’t fsncy going back to my dealer for a 3rd time to report the same issue

Nora2004

Oct 15, 2017
I didn't even bother with the dealer route, knew it would come back either the same or worse! Pulling th door card off is a 5 minute job, 2 screws and some clips! Throw in some deadening on the metal parts of the door and line all the plastic parts with closed cell foam!

There are also a load of Allen bolts which hold the pockets and trim onto the actual door card from behind, most of mine were just finger tight!

Diamond123

Feb 19, 2016
I didn't even bother with the dealer route, knew it would come back either the same or worse! Pulling th door card off is a 5 minute job, 2 screws and some clips! Throw in some deadening on the metal parts of the door and line all the plastic parts with closed cell foam!

There are also a load of Allen bolts which hold the pockets and trim onto the actual door card from behind, most of mine were just finger tight!

I’d prefer to let the dealer sort it. It’s really their problem and car is less than a year old. Don’t really want to start taking trim off on a car of that age. Has anyone had success having it permanently repaired ?

Nora2004

Oct 15, 2017
I’d prefer to let the dealer sort it. It’s really their problem and car is less than a year old. Don’t really want to start taking trim off on a car of that age. Has anyone had success having it permanently repaired ?
This is what lead me to avoid the dealers, every post mentioning this issue normally results in them not fixing it or the owner sorting it themselves unfortunately!

I know where your coming from though, the problem here is finding these small rattles takes alot of time, time a dealership just simply won't want to put in so will generally keep fobbing people off!

When my 300 was 6 month old i had pretty much every piece of trim removed to deaden and seat them correctly, i never really saw them as a problem, more of a super stiff chassis thing, but as I've got the car for a few years I really wanted it to be perfect, generally once one was sorted another would crop up a few days later! Lol

Keep pushing the dealer, and remember there's always other dealers who may be more willing!

Diamond123

Feb 19, 2016
This is what lead me to avoid the dealers, every post mentioning this issue normally results in them not fixing it or the owner sorting it themselves unfortunately!

I know where your coming from though, the problem here is finding these small rattles takes alot of time, time a dealership just simply won't want to put in so will generally keep fobbing people off!

When my 300 was 6 month old i had pretty much every piece of trim removed to deaden and seat them correctly, i never really saw them as a problem, more of a super stiff chassis thing, but as I've got the car for a few years I really wanted it to be perfect, generally once one was sorted another would crop up a few days later! Lol

Keep pushing the dealer, and remember there's always other dealers who may be more willing!

Ano mate. I spoke to SEAT finance who I took the car out with. They suggested they could compensate me if I went to a different garage. I.e one that maybe would professionally fit sound insulating material so will update everyone to see where this goes. Like you say it’s probably a ‘do it yourself’ job

Luke_bank

Aug 11, 2017
My replacement Leon (the 67 plate was written off) is plagued with rattles . Driver seat is creaking in every corner, passenger b pillar has a rattle, door cards rattle with bassy music and now there’s a rattle somewhere in the central console .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Luke_bank

Aug 11, 2017
Car is going into the dealer on Friday so I’ll update you all with the outcome of the rattles.

Reactions: beddin90

Luke_bank

Aug 11, 2017
Door cards refused to rattle when the technician was in the car, typically!

The drivers seat did creak though so that’s going back in Feb for two days to be looked at.

davidstarkey11

Jun 7, 2015
Newcastle upon Tyne
Hi all,

I picked up my brand new shiny Leon FR just over two weeks ago. First impressions are great, it feels solidly built and a big improvement on my 2013 Leon.

However, on my drive to work today, I noticed three separate rattles, one from the boot area, one from the passenger side front door and one from the centre console towards the windscreen?

The centre console one I’ve noticed before but not the other two. Anyone had similar rattles and found the cause?

I should add that the car was covered in snow/ice which may have been rattling around but I doubt it.

Please save me from despair.

My car (registered May 2018) has the passenger door rattle like yours. I initially though it was the wind deflector that I fitted. I removed it for a journey and the rattle was still there. The rattle only stopped when I pushed on the door card. Every journey it's there and it's sending me insane!

Luke_bank

Aug 11, 2017
My car (registered May 2018) has the passenger door rattle like yours. I initially though it was the wind deflector that I fitted. I removed it for a journey and the rattle was still there. The rattle only stopped when I pushed on the door card. Every journey it's there and it's sending me insane!

Hello mate. My new Leon was also registered in May (forget the name of the thread. The 67 plate is no more). Annoyingly I went in for a service today and it wasn’t rattling at all, I even had a particular music track which reproduced the tacky rattles and it didn’t do it. Like yours the rattle in mine would go if I pressed on the door card. The only thing I’ve done which may have stopped it is given all the seals a really good clean but I was adamant it was the door cards.

Sharpy

This place has cost me a fortune....
Oct 2, 2018
We’ve got a 67 Ateca and there was a really annoying rattle from the door cards. After much investigation it turned out to be the door handle vibrations slightly, not sure if the Leon is the same but there’s a rubber stop behind the handle and that’s what is was vibrating on. I put some small rubber tabs in and that’s fixed it. Thankfully.

Reactions: Jordo92

ryzzey

Jan 18, 2018
Dorset, UK
I have a 17 plate Leon and have recently noticed rattling coming from the front passenger door when I have bassy music playing.

Am I best to take it to a Seat dealer and have them look at it under warranty, or should I take the door card off myself and see what’s causing it?

Heard pros and cons of both so just want an idea of which is best. The rattle is driving me insane! Thanks

Jan 17, 2019
We’ve got a 67 Ateca and there was a really annoying rattle from the door cards. After much investigation it turned out to be the door handle vibrations slightly, not sure if the Leon is the same but there’s a rubber stop behind the handle and that’s what is was vibrating on. I put some small rubber tabs in and that’s fixed it. Thankfully.

I think the door handle is what’s causing the rattle in my leon. Where exactly did you put the rubber tabs?

Sharpy

This place has cost me a fortune....
Oct 2, 2018
I think the door handle is what’s causing the rattle in my leon. Where exactly did you put the rubber tabs?

Sorry for the slight delay.

If you pull the interior handle you should see this...

5e525ce1263e467ae6309718911c4052.jpg

I think what’s happening is the handle isn’t sitting firmly against it and it’s vibrating just a (very annoying) bit.

So I stuck a little pad on the back of the handle like this.

ffe30bc78305afdcc6c310c08d6285ca.jpg

That sits on the rubber bung and for me the vibration was gone.

Reactions: Maypack and Jordo92

Luke_bank

Aug 11, 2017
So the car went in to have the seat creaking fixed today. Just had a phone call from the dealer:

“The technician is unable to rectify the fault. He said that’s normal and is due to the half leather.”

What a load of rubbish. Where do I go from here?

Nora2004

Oct 15, 2017
Where is the creak coming from? Mine was quite bad where the seat bolster meets the plastic trim piece next to the seat rails, lined it with felt tape and creak instantly gone!

Luke_bank

Aug 11, 2017
Where is the creak coming from? Mine was quite bad where the seat bolster meets the plastic trim piece next to the seat rails, lined it with felt tape and creak instantly gone!

It’s hard to say where’s it coming from but whenever I push back in the seat, brake, accelerate its creaking. It’s not the fabric/leatherette that’s nonsense. Not letting the dealer fob me off. Sat waiting for the mechanic now.

Nora2004

Oct 15, 2017
When your sitting in the seat, push your right leg towards the door, hopefully that's your creak, easy fix!

When it's cold the backrest of mine sometimes creaks, I found rotating the lumbar support a few times gets rid untill it's warm!

If not, push for a new seat, especially if the passenger seat doesn't do the same!

Luke_bank

Aug 11, 2017
I’ll give it a go mate thank you.

They’re giving me the run about here. Just sat in the Leon in the showroom, guess what, no creaks, but I’m still being told it’s normal .

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise