Alloys and tyre sizes

89krisd

Aug 19, 2018
Hi,

Looking for some advice regarding alloys and tyre sizes.

Not going to lie completely clueless when it comes to this.

The mrs owns a 2015 leon 1.2 tsi that has 16inch wheels on them and she is wanting some new alloys.

She is looking to get 18inch alloys but unsure what size offset and width would be most suitable to get get without having to use spacers.

Any advice would be great.

Cheers

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
PCD is 5x112

Centre bore you need 57.1 I think

18x8 ET42-50 is safe
18x8.5 ET45-50 is good too.

Tyres 225/40 R18 is probably your best bet price wise.

However most decent after market alloy websites will give you all of the above if you pit your car info into it.

My only advice, make sure you fit decent tyres. Loads of people go from small wheels with decent tyres to big wheels with Nankang Ditchfinder tyres. Even if your wife isn’t after driving fast, make sure it’s a quality brand.

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
There’s a useful calculator over on www.willtheyfit.com - if you input details of your existing wheel/tyre set up and the set up for any new wheels/tyres you’re considering, it’ll calculate the ‘vital’ numbers, such as changes in clearance, speedo reading error etc.

The spec for 18” factory fit alloys for the Leon is 7.5J x 18 ET51 - centre bore 57.1 and PCD (bolt pattern) 5x112, with 225/40 R18 tyres. In your position I’d aim for something that’s close to the factory spec. I’d personally avoid diamond cut alloys as the diamond cut finish isn’t particularly durable - especially during the winter months. They’re also more expensive to refurbish than alloys with a painted/powder coated finish, and fitting larger alloys could increase the risk of kerbing your wheels. If you did go for diamond cut, I’d suggest keeping your existing 16” wheels for winter use to help preserve the diamond cut finish.

Agree 100% with @Damo H about tyres; always go for something decent. Of the premium brands, I’d avoid Bridgestone though as IMO they tend to be quite a noisy tyre, and they’re manufactured from a ‘hard as nails’ compound, so wet weather grip isn’t great either.

I’d generally avoid cheap Chinese imports, as the finish might not be great, and there’s a good chance they’ve not been subjected to the stringent quality and safety testing and certification that wheels from reputable manufacturers are subjected to (TUV, ABE, JWL or equivalent). If wheels have been quality and safety tested, then they’ll have the TUV/JWL etc. safety mark forged into the back of one of the spokes. All other relevant information such as wheel width, offset, manufacturer etc. should also be forged into the reverse of the wheel spokes. If you’re considering genuine Seat alloys, then the Seat logo and part number should also be on the reverse of the spokes.

If you’re considering second hand alloys, always check with the seller that they aren’t buckled or cracked and haven’t had any structural repairs that could compromise the strength or safety of the wheel.

Also, if you fit new alloys it’s classed as a modification for insurance purposes, so don’t forget to inform your insurer.

Last edited:

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
I would only fit genuine Seat alloys. Lots of advantages.

You know the fit will be correct. The quality will almost certainly be better, unless you spend much more than most people do! You can tell your insurance company that they are optional equipment and your insurance won't go up. If you break one it will be easy to get a replacement.

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
Just my opinion, but the 18 inch Seat Leon on a SE seems a bit 'high' as the suspension is higher and would suit 16/17s better. I have seen a few 18s on SE, and it just looked a bit strange. The FRs with lower suspension, seems more 'right' with those big wheels. It could be the shape of the bumper as well. Bear in mind that 205/55 R16 tyres would of course been a lot cheaper than the larger 18" 225/40s. Eg...you can get premium tyes in 16' for about £50-70 w/o fitting, but on 18" they are more like £70-100 each. Having had Bridgestone's previously on my Leon, I am with the rest, they are not very good. Go with the other premium brands, or 'good' mid-range options.

You can find some rims here (if not sticking to Seat's): https://www.wheelbasealloys.com
Before dieselgate, i wanted to put these: https://www.wheelbasealloys.com/alloy-wheels/drc/drs/gun-metal/17-inch/seat/leon/mk3-5f on my SE Tech Leon the minute the tyres required changing and perhaps used the stock SE rims for winters...but ahh how plans changed...

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
Bridgestone Potenza's probably one of the worst tyres ever made, fitted goodyear eagle f1 asymmetric 5's to my FR and what a difference

Last edited:
Reactions: kazand

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
Just my opinion, but the 18 inch Seat Leon on a SE seems a bit 'high' as the suspension is higher and would suit 16/17s better.

I put 17'' FR wheels on my SE and I was concerned about the possible 4X4 look but it's ok. You get away with it. I agree that bigger wheels might look odd but I've never seen it so I can't say for sure but generally, really big wheels look wrong on cars that are not lowered as well.

Also, bigger wheels means less tyre so more susceptible to pot hole, kerb and debret damage. Something to consider if your wife's car lives in the town all day.

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
I put 17'' FR wheels on my SE and I was concerned about the possible 4X4 look but it's ok. You get away with it. I agree that bigger wheels might look odd but I've never seen it so I can't say for sure but generally, really big wheels look wrong on cars that are not lowered as well.

Yes, but SE Dynamics came with 17inch 225/45s, and then there's the Cupra's 235/35 R19s...

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
my FR is still not exactly low, wouldn't mind another 10-15mm lows to make it look a little less 4x4

89krisd

Aug 19, 2018
Thanks for all the info it's a big help.

Will have a look at 17s a think cause she does like a kerb now and again

black_sheep

Mar 10, 2013
Last edited:

Zer0

Jun 22, 2019
About to order some winter wheels for my cupra with standard brakes. Which of these will fit?

8J x 18 ET35
Or
8J x 18 ET44

Both 5/112. Tyres 225/40 R18

black_sheep

Mar 10, 2013
About to order some winter wheels for my cupra with standard brakes. Which of these will fit?

8J x 18 ET35
Or
8J x 18 ET44

Both 5/112. Tyres 225/40 R18

The standard VAG size for 18” is 7.5J with an ET c.48-51 not 8J using a 225 mm wide tyre.

Use this website:

https://www.willtheyfit.com/index.p...ct2=40&wheel_size=18&wheel_width=8&offset2=35

As the rims you have selected are the same width as OEM, reducing the ET brings them away from the calliper, but closer to the arch. I put in the 35 offset (15 mm out from standard), which looks like they will fit, however rule of thumb offset is normally +/- 10 mm with no issues.

Reactions: Zer0

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
The standard VAG size for 18” is 7.5J with an ET c.48-51 not 8J using a 225 mm wide tyre.

Use this website:

https://www.willtheyfit.com/index.p...ct2=40&wheel_size=18&wheel_width=8&offset2=35

As the rims you have selected are the same width as OEM, reducing the ET brings them away from the calliper, but closer to the arch. I put in the 35 offset (15 mm out from standard), which looks like they will fit, however rule of thumb offset is normally +/- 10 mm with no issues.

Just my experience, I advised my daughter to get 7.5J 18" alloys for her Cupra to use in winter with that size of winter tyre, she, or her BF went for 8J 18" alloys, and it might just be an issue with her choice of alloys, but there is no rim protection even although the Goodyear winter tyres do have rim protection built in - so maybe sticking with 7.5J will improve on that and give you a more compliant ride as the sidewalls will not be absolutely vertical. If these new winter wheels with winter tyres on were rested on the ground, the alloy rims would contact the ground before the rubber did, very annoying for her.

Edit:- better choice if you pick 8J 18" rims though, but at a price maybe.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members