1.4 petrol autos - looking for your thoughts and opinions

Feb 26, 2020
Herts
Hi all, just joined the forum as I'm in the market for my first Seat.

Looking for a Leon MK3 facelift and struggling to find the manual 1.4 I'm after.

Can anyone please let me know their thoughts on the 1.4 DSG engines? I've read auto is better suited to the 1.8 so would be really good to get some input. Maybe it's time to go auto anyway as I do a lot driving in town and traffic, and thinking I want the 1.4 for fuel efficiency.

Cheers!

Betts-4

Jul 11, 2019
Just traded in my 1.4 DSG FR and was best car to date and loved it,smooth,consistent and good MPG

settled for the upgrade to a cupra due to the joy of the FR

Reactions: BlackHammer
Feb 26, 2020
Herts
Just traded in my 1.4 DSG FR and was best car to date and loved it,smooth,consistent and good MPG

settled for the upgrade to a cupra due to the joy of the FR
Thanks good to know. Think I'm going to test drive the DSG on Saturday and see for myself. Would love a cupra, maybe that's the next step up

Last edited:

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
I've driven the new 1.5 150bhp DSG, which is going to be pretty much the same as the 1.4 DSG. Didn't like it. Lots of people love automatics but I guess you either do or you don't. In my opinion, most of the annoying characteristics of older automatic gearboxes still apply. Being in approximately the right gear rather than exactly the right gear, not preemptively changing gear and the times you and the car disagree about which gear it should be in.

If you like automatics in other cars you'll be happy with the DSG because it's basically the same. And lots of people do like them. The same people who like automatic handbrakes, automatic wipers etc.

I hate this stuff. For me the pleasure of driving is feeling connected to the car. The fun and challenge of controlling the machine as cleanly and effectively as possible. If you want to get from A to B as lazily as possible you might as well take the bus.

If you want good economy what about a diesel?

Feb 26, 2020
Herts
Thanks, definitely need to go and get some tests drives in. Only do about 7k miles a year so wouldn't want to go down the diesel route.

Reckon prices will drop with 20 plate cars landing on Monday and the new Leon incoming?

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
A lot depends on how you drive. If you like zooming around and are rev-happy you'll pay at the pump in any car.

What engine is in the Scirocco?

Feb 26, 2020
Herts
My logic is I want a new car to replace my aging one and want a smallish engine that's still fun to drive.
What would your logic be?

Feb 26, 2020
Herts
Main requirement is definitely a newer car with some kit. Better economy will be a bonus. Currently don't have bluetooth so some gadgets will be nice. Looking forward to some LED lights and android auto. With such low usage economy is one of many factors, not the driving force.

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
2011 plate 1.4 tsi petrol in the Scirocco

Must be broken

It’s probably the 1.4 twin charger engine in a 2011 Scirocco. The VAG 1.4 twin charger engine had a reputation for liking more than the occasional drink of oil; lots of VW Polo GTI owners’ (6r version - mk5 pre-facelift model) cars with that engine had an unquenchable thirst for oil. Don’t know what the fuel consumption was like for twin charger engine though.

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
It’s probably the 1.4 twin charger engine in a 2011 Scirocco. The VAG 1.4 twin charger engine had a reputation for liking more than the occasional drink of oil; lots of VW Polo GTI owners’ (6r version - mk5 pre-facelift model) cars with that engine had an unquenchable thirst for oil. Don’t know what the fuel consumption was like for twin charger engine though.
I had a golf mk5 1.4 tsi twincharger 170bhp, was a dog of a gearbox and engine, oil leaking into cylinder no.1 and another oil leak I can't remember now, the gearbox could not handle the 170 bhp so went through 2nd gear synchromesh (x2) and near the end of its life needed 5th gear synchro for some strange reason