Leon Cupra ST towbar

ALTEA4

Jan 12, 2019
Wondering if anyone has had a towbar fitted to their Cupra ST. I only need it for attaching a bike rack, no towing at all. Have e-bikes on order and don't fancy lifting them onto the roof every trip, although possibly I will have to.

Mikertroid

May 31, 2019
I don't think the exhaust layout allows a towbar. I nearly bought a Golf R wagon as they listed towbar on the configurator.... it was an error.

Think BWM 340i and Focus ST and Octy VRs are the only fast wagons with towbar approval.

Maypack

Ambassador for Cumberland Sausage
Apr 20, 2014
Gods Country - West Cumbria
I’ve had a number of Seat cars which I have had towards fitted to. The only model I couldn’t find anyone who could fit a town was my CUPRA 300 hatchback.

As already mentioned, it’s because of the layout of the exhaust system.

It looks like you may have to go roof system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chrisRibiza

Sep 27, 2007
E-bikes on the roof are grand, I just take the battery out.

BE1F5C08-02BB-4D65-833A-8F96C2471C15.jpeg

ALTEA4

Jan 12, 2019
E-bikes on the roof are grand, I just take the battery out.

View attachment 13132

Thanks for replies. Looks likely roof will be place for bikes. Minus batteries should bring weights down to 20kg. I suppose I could use a saris as on a previous car I had a 7 pin plug fitted in the boot to connect a light board. Just found the saris a faff. When I get the car I’ll take to my local towbar fitter and let the forum know his suggestions. I’m guessing Cupra might not have type approval.

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
The ST doesn’t have a central exhaust but a box either side so I don’t see why that would affect its ability to have a toe bar. I very much think it’s to do with the diffuser. The FR has a flat piece that a panel clip out of for the removal toe bar. However the Cupra ST has a shaker and ribbed diffuser.

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
Thanks for replies. Looks likely roof will be place for bikes. Minus batteries should bring weights down to 20kg. I suppose I could use a saris as on a previous car I had a 7 pin plug fitted in the boot to connect a light board. Just found the saris a faff. When I get the car I’ll take to my local towbar fitter and let the forum know his suggestions. I’m guessing Cupra might not have type approval.
Just remembered randomly this morning that is not said That although it will fit, it’s not got type approval so not sure what you’d need to do to be allowed/make it legal to let it tow.

Chrispy

Oct 6, 2018
My 68 plate Cupra wagon is plated to tow 750kg so if you can find a tow bar that fits you're all good.

BillyCool

Jan 16, 2020
Leicestershire, UK
I have an 2014 ST FR that had a detachable tow bar fitted for a bike rack. Not sure how that equates to an Cupra.

Had to have a box steel rear cross member fitted to take the weight (makes the back end bomb proof). Electronics all coded. They did have to cut a piece of the rear skirt off to make room for it.

I think the cross member/tow bar are rated to about 90kg, which is safely 1x bike carrier and 2 standard MTB's (not ebikes).

For bike carriers, it's not the cars towing ability but the nose weight limit on the tow bar/ball you need to be aware of.

Apr 11, 2020
In Nov 2019 I purchased a pre reg leon cupra st 4 drive with intention of fitting a tow bar, which I mentioned to dealership. No problem was the reply (Arnold Clark) and was given a quote from a local firm to fit. The insurance was happy with prospect of mod and even offered a discount of £45/year. On visiting tow bar firm they were unable to find any towbars to fit the cupra st due to the deffuser. The car is rated to tow 750kg but I believe if you want to tow you need to order with new car. If any one finds a way of fitting aftermarket tow bar then please let me know.

ALTEA4

Jan 12, 2019
On visiting tow bar firm they were unable to find any towbars to fit the cupra st due to the deffuser. The car is rated to tow 750kg but I believe if you want to tow you need to order with new car. If any one finds a way of fitting aftermarket tow bar then please let me know.

When I collected from Lookers I was told that a towbar will and can be fitted but only by a SEAT approved fitter as its a lease car. As soon as I've received a reply from SEAT.F.S I will update.
Not fitted roof bars or bike mount yet but the bike is considerable lighter, 4kg, with battery removed so roof still an option. Taking out the battery has also made a difference, less perceived bounce, with it mounted on my tow bar carrier on the Freetrack.
With the situation as it is I've been cycling locally now anyway but would prefer the fitted towbar option after lockdown.

Adrian300

Jun 10, 2019
Haha yeah i saw u put that on the facebook group

Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.