Standing start

ChrisM75

May 10, 2019
This may have been covered before, but whats your best standing start strategy in the FWD DSG Cupra? I rarely do hard starts, but when I have ive just mashed the throttle and there is a long pause, wheel spin and then hard thrust. Lesser cars get away better.

Im thinking that turning off TC is essential since that must be causing the pause, and a mash (or fairly quick press to max) of the throttle in sport or Cupra mode is best rather than use the launch control?

ChrisM75

May 10, 2019
Not woried about that, just interested in getting the best from the car as is. Just want to confirm really that TC really cripples a good start.

TheLuckys

Nov 26, 2018
I got the best results 0-100 by not using launch control and managing throttle myself. Turning TC on or off doesn't really matter IMO; if you push it to where TC kicks in you've gone too far anyway.
With some practice you can get away without leaving half of your tires stuck on the tarmac.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
There is only so much horsepower you can put down off the line in a fwd car, even my 130bhp leon scrabbles the front wheels.

if traffic light grand prix’s are your thing then sell the fwd leon and buy something 4wd that can get off the line.

TheLuckys

Nov 26, 2018
There is only so much horsepower you can put down off the line in a fwd car, even my 130bhp leon scrabbles the front wheels.

if traffic light grand prix’s are your thing then sell the fwd leon and buy something 4wd that can get off the line.

Totally agree, but the diff in the cupra will help you a bit there. You really have more grip to work with than normal FWD cars. AWD will indeed always be king for traffic light drag racing though.

ChrisM75

May 10, 2019
I think people are missing the point here. Im asking how to launch best, I don't really need a lesson in physics, I understand the FWD limitation.

Im asking because there was a video on youtube comparing methods but I cant find it any more.

TheLuckys

Nov 26, 2018
I got the best results 0-100 by not using launch control and managing throttle myself. Turning TC on or off doesn't really matter IMO; if you push it to where TC kicks in you've gone too far anyway.
With some practice you can get away without leaving half of your tires stuck on the tarmac.

Here's your answer then. I measured using Torque Pro over OBD. The launches are inconsistent though, varying from 5.1s - 6.0s 0-100km/h.

-- EDIT --

I have a MY19 Cupra 290, YMMV with other models.

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
I think people are missing the point here. Im asking how to launch best, I don't really need a lesson in physics, I understand the FWD limitation.

Im asking because there was a video on youtube comparing methods but I cant find it any more.
Generally speaking turn the traction control off, and limit the revs with your right foot, also don’t just sink the throttle you may need to go 50% throttle.

if DSG you can get a DSG map, my friend has this on his 370 odd bhp golf edition 30 and that gets off the line like a scolded cat

ChrisM75

May 10, 2019
Thank you. I haven't had much chance to really try different things since I don't really drive like that. I did wonder if using manual mode with TC off and pulling for second really early would help.

Ive only really tried a hard standing start a few times, and usually it just bogs down because of the TC, or spins too much, although that is definitely faster than letting the TC sort it out. Letting the TC sort it out costs at least a second to 60.

Lmbarrett83

Sep 8, 2017
Sheffield
Totally agree, but the diff in the cupra will help you a bit there. You really have more grip to work with than normal FWD cars. AWD will indeed always be king for traffic light drag racing though.

I thought the diff only really came into play when cornering?

ChrisM75

May 10, 2019
I thought the diff only really came into play when cornering?

Diff will work if any one wheel has more grip than the other, so it will help here as well to some degree, but does nothing if both are spinning.

TheLuckys

Nov 26, 2018
Diff will work if any one wheel has more grip than the other, so it will help here as well to some degree, but does nothing if both are spinning.
We're going off topic here, but it actually still helps even if both wheels are spinning. If it weren't for the diff only one wheel would be spinning, and it would receive all the engine's power. Since the diff will lock in situations like that the power is split between both wheels, which is twice the rubber (even if it's spinning rubber).

280jl

Nov 20, 2015
Bromley
I usually pull away with about 40% throttle so the car know you want to go, then apply about 60/70% once your rolling ( traction control off ) get it in to second then bury it.

This is the main problem with high powered FWD, sometimes I can pull away perfect with that method, sometimes it just spins it's tits off.

ChrisM75

May 10, 2019
Going to have to practice when we are free to move around again. There is a 'dead' road not far from me (that is closed off one end and leads nowhere), I might try it there.

Lmbarrett83

Sep 8, 2017
Sheffield
Mechanical LSD will always be better however
Isn't that what the Honda Civic Type R has?
315+bhp and not any quicker off the line than a Cupra 280. From the reviews I've read though it handles better in the bends.

Had a manual 280 and a now a DSG 290.
Learned I wasn't able to mash my foot in both very quickly from the beginning...
Not even bothered with the launch control as it revs too high to start off with (for me)

Very interesting trying the same in the R and S3 as you can actually feel the transfer to back wheels after driving the Cupra.

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
Isn't that what the Honda Civic Type R has?
315+bhp and not any quicker off the line than a Cupra 280. From the reviews I've read though it handles better in the bends.

Had a manual 280 and a now a DSG 290.
Learned I wasn't able to mash my foot in both very quickly from the beginning...
Not even bothered with the launch control as it revs too high to start off with (for me)

Very interesting trying the same in the R and S3 as you can actually feel the transfer to back wheels after driving the Cupra.

Yeah the Type R will completely spank the Leon Cupra round any circuit / bend with ease.

I do love a Honda would give my left leg for an FK8 Type R

TheLuckys

Nov 26, 2018
Mechanical LSD will always be better however
That depends on what you think is "better".

The VAQ diff is electronically controlled, meaning it can lock not just based on wheel spin, but also based on throttle input, steering angle, speed, etc.
A mechanical diff will usually only lock after wheel spin is detected, this means you're already losing grip.
From a standing start I think the VAQ diff will have the upper hand.

The reason many people say a mechanical LSD is superior is because of consistency in how it responds to situations. Because it isn't controlled by a computer it's easier to predict how the car will respond to a given situation.

Reactions: queen