Slightly juddery pickup at low revs (FR)

steveh8204

Mar 15, 2014
I've just bought a 2014 1.8 TSI FR 3dr and while I'm very happy with it can't help but feel it's not very smooth after acceleration shortly after the clutch is fully disengaged.

I've come from a 2.0 Mk2 TDI so I don't know whether it's just the transition from Diesel back to Petrol or what.

It's only at low revs and goes once I start acceleration so maybe a small flat spot I don't know.

I changed the accelerator pedal control in Carista (sorry forgot what the setting is called exactly) and no real difference.

I've got the Torque Pro app on my phone so I don't know if theres a way to use info from that (or carista) to monitor would could be the issue?

Thanks in advance for any help.

martin j.

Feb 11, 2007
Fife
I went from diesel to petrol (still had diesel van) and I think I was expecting the petrol to pull away with minimal throttle input, didn’t work so needed to adjust and give it a little more gas to go smoother.

steveh8204

Mar 15, 2014
I went from diesel to petrol (still had diesel van) and I think I was expecting the petrol to pull away with minimal throttle input, didn’t work so needed to adjust and give it a little more gas to go smoother.

By adjust do you mean you needed to adjust or you adjusted it? I read it as the first

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
If you've driven a diesel for a while it might be just that, the need get used to the ways of the petrol again. When I first got a petrol after years of diesel I stalled it regularly. I'd give it a bit of time.

steveh8204

Mar 15, 2014
If you've driven a diesel for a while it might be just that, the need get used to the ways of the petrol again. When I first got a petrol after years of diesel I stalled it regularly. I'd give it a bit of time.
Yea I thought as much. I'm slowly getting there. Thanks both of you for the replies!

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
The petrol car I bought was an 1.2 Ibiza FR. I liked the way the little engine spun up so quickly but the flip side was that it bogged down really easily too. I took to blipping the accelerator a little before picking away. This quickly became automatic and worked perfectly.

I'm not saying there isn't a problem with your car, there could be, but it might just take getting used to.

mike000

mk3 1.8 tsi
Jul 21, 2008
Birmingham
I brought a 2014 1.8 tsi fr coming from a mk2 leon cupra and yeah its got a flat spot. The torque is quite low. Im looking on a revo map maybe after 12 months. It will bring it to where my old cupra was in power and torque. Which was alot more responsive

steveh8204

Mar 15, 2014
I brought a 2014 1.8 tsi fr coming from a mk2 leon cupra and yeah its got a flat spot. The torque is quite low. Im looking on a revo map maybe after 12 months. It will bring it to where my old cupra was in power and torque. Which was alot more responsive
I was wondering whether it's a good way to justify a remap :)

SteveFR

Dec 7, 2016
Bucks
I was wondering whether it's a good way to justify a remap :)

I’ve got a 2013 plate 1.8 TSI (albeit the DSG not manual) which also used to be a bit juddery when accelerating (especially 2nd gear) but that ceased to be a problem after I got a stage 1 Shark remap a couple of summers ago :D

steveh8204

Mar 15, 2014
Maybe change the spark plugs in it?
Just got around to changing these today and it has made a difference to be fair. The plugs didn't look too bad really but it has definitely made an improvement.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.