A day of discovery and help needed again

DarrenGI

Aug 31, 2020
Surrey
Just the sealent round the boot hinge in that opening as i know thats a week spot on the mk7 Golfs as it flexes and then cracks if wind catches the hatch and makes it flex.

I have removed both the two black panels today and broke one of the plastic clip inserts like you did. Ive taped mine up with duct tape to test as you did. Its supposed to rain heavy in the morning so i will see if it helps mine. What got me was the black panel was loose on my passenger side but the area were yours is getting water is bone dry on mine. Mines the other side.

Just some info about these black panels from your photo discriptions. Mine have the same sealer as yours and my car was my late fathers from new before i got it over 8 yrs ago so i know whats been done too mine over time. So this is the factory finish. Why these plastic clips go into a threaded nut inserts is anyones guess.

Guess we will keep looking. Makes you feel like were missing something obvious though.
Hi Ballie, thank you for the info, I hadn't realised the holes were threaded might try and find some domed headed alan key bolts to fit so I'm not just sticking the covers back on, if I can work out what size they are.

Snoopy

Apr 24, 2002
Durham, England.
Wasnt the holes for the plastic panels on mine either as water has collected in the corner after it rained all yesterday. Raining hard here again now too so prob not get the dry time to investigate mine further today.

Wonder if its worth taping over the sealent to see if it stops first?

Dazzalcr

Aug 10, 2019
I'm glad you have found d it darrengi as this is where I was talking about my leak was at the top part of the seal water was running up and over the hi ge then getting between the seam, i just used clear sealer bin good since and it was the n/s like yours and maybe the other chaps.
Glad you fixed it pal.

Reactions: Snoopy

DarrenGI

Aug 31, 2020
Surrey
Wasnt the holes for the plastic panels on mine either as water has collected in the corner after it rained all yesterday. Raining hard here again now too so prob not get the dry time to investigate mine further today.

Wonder if its worth taping over the sealent to see if it stops first?
Hi Ballie, weather clear here first thing so checked the car as rained heavily last night - boot wet! I did put some tape over cracked sealant yesterday but doesn't look like it made any difference. It's rained most of the day so not got out to do anything. v frustrating!

Last edited:
Reactions: Snoopy

DarrenGI

Aug 31, 2020
Surrey
I'm glad you have found d it darrengi as this is where I was talking about my leak was at the top part of the seal water was running up and over the hi ge then getting between the seam, i just used clear sealer bin good since and it was the n/s like yours and maybe the other chaps.
Glad you fixed it pal.
Thanks Dazzalcr, unfortunately still got a wet boot so not got the the bottom of the problem yet:(.
Think I need to get the sealant on it

DarrenGI

Aug 31, 2020
Surrey
Weather's looking dry this weekend so will try and get the seam sealer done and going to dig out the garden sprinkler from the shed, turn it on and sit in the boot for a bit. I'm sure the neighbours must think I'm mad using a watering can on my car and sitting in the boot - "Lockdown's got to him!"?

Reactions: Sparkie

DarrenGI

Aug 31, 2020
Surrey
Just the sealent round the boot hinge in that opening as i know thats a week spot on the mk7 Golfs as it flexes and then cracks if wind catches the hatch and makes it flex.

I have removed both the two black panels today and broke one of the plastic clip inserts like you did. Ive taped mine up with duct tape to test as you did. Its supposed to rain heavy in the morning so i will see if it helps mine. What got me was the black panel was loose on my passenger side but the area were yours is getting water is bone dry on mine. Mines the other side.

Just some info about these black panels from your photo discriptions. Mine have the same sealer as yours and my car was my late fathers from new before i got it over 8 yrs ago so i know whats been done too mine over time. So this is the factory finish. Why these plastic clips go into a threaded nut inserts is anyones guess.

Guess we will keep looking. Makes you feel like were missing something obvious though.
Hi Ballie, bought some nice stainless socket button headed bolts to help fixing the black covers and guess what the holes in mine aren't threaded ha :rolleyes:

Alexis27

Dec 20, 2009
Manchester
Car has been sat for 4 weeks, opened boot and same problem! There was some black gunky sealant along that seam, so I don't know if the previous owner had done something or it's factory applied.

DarrenGI

Aug 31, 2020
Surrey
Car has been sat for 4 weeks, opened boot and same problem! There was some black gunky sealant along that seam, so I don't know if the previous owner had done something or it's factory applied.
Hi Alexis27 do you have any photos of where the sealant was as going to try and sort mine this afternoon

DarrenGI

Aug 31, 2020
Surrey
Cheers Alexis27
got out there this afternoon with some paintable flexible seam sealer
seam sealer.jpg

which is quite runny and some butyl gutter sealer, which I used for the front wiring loom. It sticks like ... to a blanket.
butyl sealer.jpg

located as shown
boot hinge sealing.jpg

seam sealer along the bottom after scraping any lose old seam sealer away and gutter seal where the black plastic cover came from. Just letting the gutter seal get tacky before sticking the cover on

boot ns top sealing.jpg

It's meant to rain this week so lets see what happens.

DarrenGI

Aug 31, 2020
Surrey
Not rained here today and didn't get chance to put the hose on it, but looks like rain tomorrow morning. The only problem is the gutter sealer that previously stuck to everything has decided not to stick the black plastic hinge cover to the bodywork so not sure if it'll keep the boot dry. I will need to clean it up when I get time and try using the seam sealer.

Snoopy

Apr 24, 2002
Durham, England.
Hi Ballie, bought some nice stainless socket button headed bolts to help fixing the black covers and guess what the holes in mine aren't threaded ha :rolleyes:
Oh mine are I thought thats why mine black clips don't fit properly. You can sort of maybe get to the back of them if you remove the plastic c-pillar panels and headlining rear trim panel in the middle. You maybe able to get a nut on them if you have small fingers.

DarrenGI

Aug 31, 2020
Surrey
It rained last night and there was a slight trickle of water so it's not fixed. It may be because of the sealant not curing so will have to look again at the weekend

DarrenGI

Aug 31, 2020
Surrey
Oh mine are I thought thats why mine black clips don't fit properly. You can sort of maybe get to the back of them if you remove the plastic c-pillar panels and headlining rear trim panel in the middle. You maybe able to get a nut on them if you have small fingers.
Thanks Ballie, not sure I want to pull anymore interior out as concerned I'll never get it back again. I think I'll just use some more seam sealer

Snoopy

Apr 24, 2002
Durham, England.
It rained last night and there was a slight trickle of water so it's not fixed. It may be because of the sealant not curing so will have to look again at the weekend
:(
Wet here for days now raining on and off or drizzle so not had chance to do mine as it says it has to be dry and grease free to apply the sealent then it will have to dry. Think im going to have to get it indoors for a few days to do mine.

Wish we could just find the cause of the problem.

DarrenGI

Aug 31, 2020
Surrey
rained quite a bit last night and this morning, there was some water in the boot but not as much as I would have expected. Hopefully it'll be dry at some point this weekend and I'll clean off the gutter sealer and replace with seam sealer and that'll do the trick ?

Sl1ced

Oct 10, 2020
rained quite a bit last night and this morning, there was some water in the boot but not as much as I would have expected. Hopefully it'll be dry at some point this weekend and I'll clean off the gutter sealer and replace with seam sealer and that'll do the trick

I bought a roll of the butyl tape off eBay for sealing stuff. Only a few quid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DarrenGI

Aug 31, 2020
Surrey
I bought a roll of the butyl tape off eBay for sealing stuff. Only a few quid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hi Sl1ced, this is the link I used for doing the door seals and found it really good

good luck

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise