Fuel Flap not locking!!

az101

Aug 29, 2011
Burnham-on-sea
Hello. I've swapped this on mine as I had the opposite issue. It's a £30 part from the dealer. Swap is 4 clips holding the fuel bit in and 1 screw and a wiring clip. Easy peasy just be careful and use a cloth so you don't scratch your paint!

Open fuel door
Take fuel cap off
There are 4 indents in the black plastic. 2 at the top 2 at the bottom. Push them down so the clips release then the whole black part including door
Slide it out left side first.
Undo screw
Pull out module
Take wiring harness out
Reverse for reassemble.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mark300zx

Apr 24, 2008
Surrey/SW London
Hello. I've swapped this on mine as I had the opposite issue. It's a £30 part from the dealer. Swap is 4 clips holding the fuel bit in and 1 screw and a wiring clip. Easy peasy just be careful and use a cloth so you don't scratch your paint!

Open fuel door
Take fuel cap off
There are 4 indents in the black plastic. 2 at the top 2 at the bottom. Push them down so the clips release then the whole black part including door
Undo screw
Pull out module
Take wiring harness out
Reverse for reassemble.

Thanks, sounds easier than I anticipated, don't suppose you have the part number handy from the receipt?

R.Bot

Oct 30, 2019
This has been discussed before and you are lucky that yours failed unlocked rather than locked. It's far easirer to fix. I need to do mine as some point as it's making a few `noises`...
I would advise do it asap. First I knew mine had failed was when I couldn't get it open on the forecourt and was low on fuel. I was under warranty still but SEAT weren't interested unless I could get it to them and I didn't have enough fuel to ! What was wrong with the old keyed cap under the cover, why do they have to over complicate things !!

Reactions: Mark300zx

BillyCool

Jan 16, 2020
Leicestershire, UK
I would advise do it asap. First I knew mine had failed was when I couldn't get it open on the forecourt and was low on fuel. I was under warranty still but SEAT weren't interested unless I could get it to them and I didn't have enough fuel to ! What was wrong with the old keyed cap under the cover, why do they have to over complicate things !!

It's a fair point. I'll get on it.

VAG over complicated a few things like the silicant bag/heater matrix issue, electronic water pump that fails and a few other things.

Hopefully that will be it for now. Most other things have been changed.

SuperV8

May 30, 2019

Open fuel door
Take fuel cap off
Undo screw
Pull out module
Take wiring harness out
Reverse for reassemble.
Is this on the hatchback or estate?

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
SuperV8 this was on the estate. But I think hatchback is the same process

That's great, I have an estate - and a none locking fuel flap, doesn't even make a noise.
I was told it was quite involved to change so just forget about it! but going by the above i'll look at changing it.

thanks,

az101

Aug 29, 2011
Burnham-on-sea
Thanks for the updated info. It was a few years ago a did mine! Although mine did fail to unlock again once a few weeks ago. So it does seem to be a bit of a weak point! The hardest part was getting the plastic clips out without damaging paint!

Stefan147

Jan 29, 2019
Athens Greece
A month ago I replaced the tap motor under warranty. Frequent VAG problem. I only found out because I do a lot of retrofits and scan the car all the time and I got a fault warning. Otherwise it was working fine.

Part number for the hatchback is 7P0810773F. Should be the same for the estate as well. Costs around £20-25 and its very easy to DIY.

R.Bot

Oct 30, 2019
Once I had got into mine and fitted a new actuator, I did consider just leaving it unplugged. The flap will still latch shut and unless we have blockades and fuel shortage again, is petrol theft from cars really that big an issue? I knew I couldn't live with something that wasn't working properly so plugged it in and now just carry the kit to open it again, at all times, just in case I get stranded somewhere.

BillyCool

Jan 16, 2020
Leicestershire, UK

az101

Aug 29, 2011
Burnham-on-sea
You'll likely get the same thing cheaper from a main dealer. I found that it was about £10 more to buy from eBay than from the dealer. Weird. Probably stocked by vw also

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
I'm not sure that mine even works but I guess it should be replaced anyway.

@SuperV8 I found this but you might be able to find it cheaper:

Yes that's the one.
There is a protrusion - circled red - which can be for a red plastic emergency access pull cord - through not sure my Leon has this? Maybe could be retrofit and left in the boot somewhere?
1610709867522.png

1610710038665.png

BillyCool

Jan 16, 2020
Leicestershire, UK
Yes that's the one.
There is a protrusion - circled red - which can be for a red plastic emergency access pull cord - through not sure my Leon has this? Maybe could be retrofit and left in the boot somewhere?
View attachment 21317

View attachment 21318

Interesting point. I read somewhere that the Audi's have that manaul release fitted - so assuming the same part is used, SEAT just didn't incorporate it.

Would be good if it could be retrofitted.

R.Bot

Oct 30, 2019
Defo no manual release on the Leon. If it is the same part minus the red cable, for the sake of a few pennies it makes you question the logic of not fitting it, considering the agro it can cause? I get that penny savings matter on large scale production but really? Premium feature / brand hierarchy maybe? As it happens, when I was stuck on the forecourt unable to put fuel in and furiously beating the flap in the hope it would open just one last time, another driver did come over and say "oh, haven't you got a release in the boot?". Didn't look but they probably had an Audi..........

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
Defo no manual release on the Leon. If it is the same part minus the red cable, for the sake of a few pennies it makes you question the logic of not fitting it, considering the agro it can cause? I get that penny savings matter on large scale production but really? Premium feature / brand hierarchy maybe? As it happens, when I was stuck on the forecourt unable to put fuel in and furiously beating the flap in the hope it would open just one last time, another driver did come over and say "oh, haven't you got a release in the boot?". Didn't look but they probably had an Audi..........
Yes looks like the Audi version 8F0862153E includes the plastic pull cord!

Penny pinching indeed!
Is there access to this from the Leon boot? could we just tie some string around this point for emergency access?

Reactions: Walone
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.